Sign in to follow this  
Guest swadeep

FS9 OOM. It is confusing :(

>do i have to get process explorer or is it in windows>already?>>so are you saying i might be better off getting vista?>>i mean this 4gb ram..cant belive get oom..in my old com as i>said no oom and i only had 2-3 gb ramProcess Explorer is an external application, I believe you can find it over google easily (sysinternals website).Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Though Vista has been hated by many, for its bugs, now that most of them have been sorted out, I concluded, after MANY tests, that Vista has far better memory management than XP does.An example:8 hours flight, XP: VS=1700-1900mb (OOM when landing), Vista=1100-1300mb (no OOM). Same FS9 installation, all drivers, clean system...I also have FS9 modified as Largeaddressaware, and things are working beautifully since Vista has been on.

>ScanAFD did not solve my problem. My current suspects are: >hardware O/C issue, or FSDreamTeams KORD/KJFK/Zurich>sceneries. All of my OOMs began shortly after installing the>latter and there seem to be quite a few posts about that>issue.While there is no doubt in my mind that FSDT's sceneries are causal to your OOMs, they are only indirectly responsible. They have no "leaks" in and of themselves. I have done extensive testing at those airports (I own all three) and while they use a boatload of memory (JFK with its associated AI uses over 700Mb of RAM on my setup) the memory use doesn't increase over time (I've left all three running for many hours just looking for such anomalies, haven't found a single one).The problem in your case is that by the time you reach those airports, something's already sapped all the memory available and when they attempt to load, there's simply no memory left to give them. In tracking down what exactly causes your OOMs, I'd start by eliminating scenery elements one by one, I don't think there is any other way. I did that for a flight with a Level-D 767 that would go from KLAX (C9) over KMDW (FT) to KORD (FSDT). With everything "on" (weather, 100% AI, Ultimate Terrain, Flight Environment, GEPro), I'd get an OOM approaching Midway. With the weather turned off, I'd OOM in the exact same spot and so on. To make a long story short, it was only after I turned off Ultimate Terrain that I would no longer OOM on that route (with everything else turned on). Since I've turned off Ultimate Terrain completely (I had UT USA, Europe and Canada all patched to their latest versions) I've had little problems with OOMs (in fact, ironically, I only had one...while approaching FSDT's KFJK, flying directly over Manhattan). I'm not saying that UT may be your problem (I don't even know if you have it installed), but it appeared to be the direct cause of the majority of my OOMs. It may be something completely different in your case. In either event, it's good to establish a baseline, a route where you always end up with an OOM (like my LAX-ORD) and then work from there.

What you say makes a lot of sense, and I really appreciate you're input. You've given me a lot to think about and investigate, some of which I've considered and yes I have all patched and updated UTs installed and yes I have had problems with it in the past on other, lesser computers, mainly seasonal CTDs a long time ago.In my case I was getting OOMs everywhere on final including some simple default airports, not just on final at those sceneries, and only after installing those sceneries -- never had OOMs before, ever. Ultimate Terrain has caused CTDs before but not OOMs and not in over a year since I fixed them with their good help. I just installed these 3 airports about a week ago so I haven't had time to do much testing. I didn't have these problems with any other scenery - all the FlyTampa, Simmer's Sky Japan, freeware and even Cloud9s KLAX never gave me a problem -- and unless KJFK is being loaded upon approach to to KSEA I don't think congestion is the problem. My baseline right now, and I think the logical place for me to start is the morning before I installed these fine looking airports.You've given me a lot to look think about though. Any other suggestions/thoughts?

Hi,I had this problem - memory use was within limits and FS9 crashes.I reckoned it could be a pagefile problem. So I did the following:Go to Start and Run and then type "chkdsk /f".This will prompt you to run a check of the harddisk at startup. Type Y. Reboot and let it do the chkdsk. On my 1TB hd, it took about 5 minutes.When I ran that, I discovered that I did indeed have a problem with my HD, where it thought space was allocated when it wasn't. This may or may not have been the cause of the prob. I haven't had a CTD since then, but hey, they're pretty elusive.Cheers,Bryn.

Streaming at twitch.tv/brynmwr

Bryn -- would you just be more specific as to exactly what message you got from chkdsk, and what you did to resolve your issue? Thanks! ;)

Hi Chuck,The message was: "CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap".Chkdsk with the /f switch automatically fixes this.Cheers,Bryn.

Streaming at twitch.tv/brynmwr

Well, it appears my problem arose because I trimmed back my userva= in my 4 gb switch fix just a little too much. I trimmed it back from 2386 to 2322, and all seems ok now. No more OOMs.