Sign in to follow this  
Guest ristretto

Above 20,000ft fs9 dropping scenery tiles.

Guest ristretto

When I fly above 20,000ft, fs9 starts to drop nearby scenery tiles as shown in this screenshot. Checking the extended terrain box fixes this problem but then it takes way too long to load scenery files. Anything that can be done about this?http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/192708.jpg

Don't think so. If you are going to use addon photo terrain or water/landclass textures, you are going to see an obvious boundary at the extended texture line. The only thing to try is to hide it by lowering the visibility.scott s..

Guest ristretto

When I fly below ~20,000ft the photo add-on scenery tile is visible. The scenery tile is suddenly dropped when I fly above ~20,000ft. It's like the extended texture line changes when flying above 20,000ft. Doesn't make sense.

I found that the cure for the "notchy" terrain like the one in your pic was to reduce the "sight distance" slider under Display/Weather in your in-game FS9 settings. I have it at its leftmost setting (60 mi).John G.

John G.

I see posts regarding this phenomenon pop up sometimes several times a month.The answers vary, but the unpleasant truth is that those "blocks" seem to be part of how the sim works and you can't make them go away. They are mostly visible at high altitude as they are dependent on the distance from the user aircraft. You can see they form a cross shape when viewed from top-down view with a lot of zoom out.There are tricks like lowering the visibility to the absolute minimum, but that has other unrealistic side effects in my opinion.

I've had the same issue lately. I'd installed nothing new other than Windows XP "helpfully" forcing me to install every freaking update including SP3. I'd be interested in finding the common causes.

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

>I've had the same issue lately. I'd installed nothing new>other than Windows XP "helpfully" forcing me to install every>freaking update including SP3. I'd be interested in finding>the common causes.I am reading numerous posts regarding issues some folks have been experiencing with SP 3 for XP.Your problem may not be related of course, but many have found it necessary to revert back to a time prior to the SP 3 "update" in order to restore a properly functioning FS2004.You can set your Windows "automatic updates" in such a manner that it requires your permission to install any updates and if memory serves, you can also tell it to ignore certain ones.I never allow updates to take place (other than virus signatures)without my permission - just to be on the safe side.

>>I've had the same issue lately. I'd installed nothing new>>other than Windows XP "helpfully" forcing me to install>every>>freaking update including SP3. I'd be interested in finding>>the common causes.>>I am reading numerous posts regarding issues some folks have>been experiencing with SP 3 for XP.>>Your problem may not be related of course, but many have found>it necessary to revert back to a time prior to the SP 3>"update" in order to restore a properly functioning FS2004.>>You can set your Windows "automatic updates" in such a manner>that it requires your permission to install any updates and if>memory serves, you can also tell it to ignore certain ones.>>I never allow updates to take place (other than virus>signatures)without my permission - just to be on the safe>side.>I actually have it set to request my permission, which lately only stops the minor updates. The Service Packs, the Verification update things, and the Malware things still install themselves every time Microsoft releases one.----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satellite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004, MIDCON P-401"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

I'm still suffering this problem, and it's vexing me since I can see in old screen shots I took over the summer that it never used to do this with the textures. It's like it's now only using 3 levels of detail for textures and mesh in obvious blocks, which makes things look terrible.I tried removing SP3, which is really the only major change to my system since the problem cropped up. I even tried a restore point back to the period I know the textures weren't doing this. No improvement. I'm about tempted to just back up my more important files, wipe my computer clean, and redo the system.----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satellite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004, MIDCON P-401"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan