Sign in to follow this  
mixen82

FS2004 under Windows Vista???

Hello all,i am just wondering if fs2004 INCLUDING ALL ADDONS are running under Windows Vista with no problems. This is because my Flighsim has now seen over six years of modding and I don`t want to do this again with FSX. If it would be a problem running FS2004 with the addons on Vista then I will not change my OS.Does somebody know this?mixen82

I never got Flight1's Commander 112 to completely work. The gps wouldn't load up. I used another panel and it was fine. I personally would not change the os if you put that much effort into xp.

mixen82Good Day,Just switched to new build of computer last week.... Now running Vista premium 64 bit after using XP since it came out.... Started with a total rebuild of FS9 V9.1 from scratch as wanted a totally clean install.... Like you I had many years of work in the old install with about 470 files in addon scenery and about the same in Aircraft.... This project will probably take weeks.... Vista does take some getting used to after Windows XP.... I never seem to be able to find anything.... A True learning process...I have found the following addons to work with out problems... Ultimate Terrain.... USA.... Europe....Canada/Alaska Ground Environment Pro Flight Environment My Traffic 2004 All the MegaScenery and MegaCity programs VFR PhotoScenery USA, SFO Area PMDG 747-400 PMDG 737NG Have not yet tried to reinstall Radar Contact V4.... Will go for that in the next day or two....Reloaded FSX and still not impressed even with the new "Horse Power"... But will still give it another try after some "Tweaks"...JayDubNew System.... Intel Dual Core E8500 overclocked to 3.8MHz Asus P5Q Deluxe MOBO ATI 4870 512MB Video 8GB DDR2 RAM Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 Case

That's something I was about to post, except to ask if there was a list somewhere of what FS2004 addons are known to NOT work under Vista 64bit...I've got XP 32-bit and Vista 64-bit installed on my new computer in a dualboot, and would like to have some idea which OS I should be installing FS2004 in before I even start. Vista is the primary OS, and so would be the preferred OS if possible. I'd just like to avoid spending hours installing all my FS2004 stuff in Vista, only to have to uninstall it all and start from scratch in XP...

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

I've had no problems with my 9-month-old FS9 installation on a Vista Home 32-equipped computer. I have the usual terrain add-ons and the Maddog 06, PMDG 738, DA Fokker 100, RFP V2, plus many third party airports from Aerosoft, FSDT, Cloud 9, and Flightzone. I have read that some have had problems with the PSS/JustFlight 757 in Vista, but I can't find anything definitive on that. I've never suffered an OOM error as yet, even though I regularly fly between complex add-on airports with AES installed at both ends, but that's as likely due to dumb luck rather than Vista.John G.

John G.

Thanks for your comments. I thought about it and came to the conclusion that the best idea is to create a dualboot. So i can use XP to run FS without problems.

Guest brendanlynch

Hello all,I wanted to respond to this post because I believe it might be very relevant to problems I'm am currently experiencing.I've had FS9 for since it was released, and it is only recently that I have become engrossed in the whole simming experience. I'm absolutely loving it and find it's taking up too much of my time! But why not.I decided to stay with FS9 and have purchased numerous add-ons for it. However, I'm running under Vista Enterprise 32bit and am really beginning to wonder if my issues are related to the OS. I would appreciate some feedback frrm anyone who feels that this could be the issue. Follows is the setup I'm using:Windows Vista Enterprise 32bit4Gb RAMIntel Quad Core 2.66 GHzATI Radeon HD 4870 512Mb (1 day old!)FS9.1Ultimate TrafficFlight EnvironmentGround Environment ProActive Sky 6.5Radar Contact 4.3Wilco feelThere 737PICLevel-D 767-30050N 737 SeriesNow... the problems!I installed the new video card yesterday in the belief that it would improve my framerate and general graphic expierence in FS what with all the add-ons and graphics related products I have purchased. I couldn't be more disappointed......My current experience is nothing short of abysmal. The framerate is simply eaten up by the feelThere 737 panel (or so it would seem!). The performance of the aircraft is appalling. The graphics are jerkily stepping through the refresh and really struggling to handle this.I have tried a simple but good model like the Kittyhawk 737-200 and pretty much the same response is occurring.I'm now beginning to wonder if this is not an OS issue. My job by day is that of an IT trainer in .NET Development, so I'm kinda sure I have at least some fundamental understanding of basically getting to grips with configuring a system.I'm at the point of seriously thinking about backing up this install of Vista and wiping the drive to go back to XP Pro. I'm left thinking that this would all run better under XP Pro. The video card experience has seriously disappointed me as it is currently very highly rated. But again, I'm wondering if this is on OS issue.Would any of you have any comment you might be able to pass on this?I'd be very grateful for anything you could suggest as I'm now quite disillusioned by the way this has turned out. The only reason I'm using Vista Enterprise, is as a result of my MCP status through the company and I received and MSDN copy of it. I would happily return to XP if this is the problem.Many thanks for taking the time to read through this.RegardsBrendan

Brendon,See my post above for list of addons I am running.... Seems similar to yours.... New build has Vista Premium 64 bit... I also have the ATI 4870 and FPS performance is not a problem.... I rarely see anything below 40 FPS at high density airports with all the sliders to the left smooth with no stutters.... With PMDG 747 FPS runs in the 40 - 50 range....I have seen enroute FPS above 300 on occasion with the stock B737-400..... My problem is still "Minor Blurries", and locking the frame rate seems to have no impact.... Someone may be able to suggest some fs9.cfg adjustments but I believe I have tweeked it about as far as I can.......It seems strange that a machine that can run "Crysis" on the highest possible settings as smooth as glass with perfectly clear graphics ( It looks like you are walking through a motion picture), can't run Flight Simulator 9 without some "Blurries"..... May be my fault, will keep working on it..... Only into the 2nd week with this computer....JayDubIntel Dual Core E8500 overclocked to 3.8MHzAsus P5Q Deluxe MOBOATI 4870 512MB Video 8.8 Drivers8GB DDR2 RAMCooler Master Cosmos 1000 Case

Guest brendanlynch

Hi JayDubThanks for your comments. I have since imaged the Vista drive out and reinstalled XP Pro.Currently going through the motions of setting it all up again and intend to get to FlightSim on the weekend. Even now, though, I'm leaning more towards XP as programs are installing perfectly with no glitches and hangups. Vista didn't like some of the installs and was generally quite picky and iffy with it all.It looks like I'm going to stay with a system I was very comfortable with and I'm hoping that FlightSim will respond in the way I expect it to with my spec.You speak of 'all sliders to the left'? Can you clarify which sliders you are referring to? If I can get that kind of framerate at a dense airport like Heathrow, I'd be delighted! I was getting 8 to 14 whilst running under Vista!Fingers crossed.Brendan

Brendan,Big mistake on my part...... I said all sliders to the left but I should have said all sliders to the right in the maximum position..... The sliders I refer to are all on the first dispay page .... Terrain mesh complexity .... terrrain texture size.... terrain detail..... scenery complexity.... autogen density and addon dynamic scenery....... The only slider that I do not have set on MAX is Ground Scenery Casts Shadows...... Guess I can't remember my left from my right or I tend to type too fast.....I agree that XP is probably the best OS to use.... I went with Vista 64 bit to gain more from my 8GB memory but so far have not seen that I have used more than around 3400MB in the sim..... Again still in the learning process and I may get this figured out eventually.....Not really comfortable with Vista..... It seems to place files in very strange places.......JayDub

Guest brendanlynch

Hi JayDub,OK thanks for that. I had tried various settings with my old Radeon X850 and found that pushing the parameters too much blurred the display too much. I fiddled with it all largely and found that nominal levels of anti aliasing etc were all that was needed to work in tandem with FS's smoothing effects. But certainly it will be worth playing around with - if I can get this to happen.I think I can and am wondering if it has been my version of Vista that's caused the problem. I've tried to find more info on Enterprise but haven't been too successful. It would appear that there's not a lot of difference between Enterprise and Ultimate, but then I don't know how the architecture of the two differs. I wish that Microsoft would develop one OS and leave it at that!As I indicated, already I am finding that XP is much more settled even at the install phase and, unlike Vista, I have had no issues with Visual Studio 2008 and SQL Server 2008. Even my Radeon install failed because Vista apparently had to have the .NET Framework 2.0 installed although 3.5 was there to begin with. Just not a good experience with this OS. XP installed the drivers for the card without any questions!What with all the UAC and ownership security issues of Vista, I reckon I will now leave XP on it and be done with it. I am almost certain that Flight Sim will be fine and am rather looking forward to the weekend when I can get it up and running again - properly! I simply cannot see why a machine of my spec with that card should not deliver a half decent result.Thanks again for your responses.Brendan

Guest SiJones

Brendan / Jay,I have been reading your thread with interest as I am having similar snags with running my FS9 in Vista. I bought a custom built PC specifically to run FS. I have no other programs installed on the system aprt from FS related ones. My system specs are:Vista 32 BitIntel Core Duo @3Ghz2GB DDRNvidia 8800 GTXMy FS9 setup includesGE PROUT Europe / US and CanadaVarious addon on sceneries including Aerosoft (Heathrow EDDF and ESSA etc)SimwingsFly TampaDream FactoryIFSDBlueprintUltimate Traffic + WOAIActivesky 6.5LvLD 763PSS A320 seriesPMDG 744 744F and B1900Digital Aviation F100/70Wilco EMB 170 / 190I am getting very good frame rates with the sliders all the way the the right (30/40+ at Heathrow)....but the whole experenience is flawed because I a getting stutters all the time. Even when running the basic Cessna from an airport that is not addon the sim is constantly stuttering. When I use Ctrl/Z to see my frame rates I am getting really high end frames (Sometimes well over 150) but the stutters are always evident. I have tried increasing the memory available, shutting down absolutly everything not directly invloved in running FS9 to no avail. Apologies in my description, so difficult to describe something that is very visual!What are your thoughts guys?Many thanksSi

Guest brendanlynch

Hello Si,It's interesting that you raise so many similar symptoms that my own system was generating whilst running Vista. Even whilst stationary at Heathrow, the FPS report was, at worst 8 and at best 14. And I wasn't even moving! There was never a smooth transition. Everything was always staccato and jerky. The rates improved the further up I climbed, because I suppose there was less detail it was needing to draw. But my argument was that the hardware spec I have along with the investment in a currently highly rated graphics card, not being able to achieve better was simply unnacceptable.I also saw a forum post for the feelThere 737 where various members were saying that the performance of the models was very poor. They indicated a stuttering banking anomaly and then the need to over compensate when the aircraft corrected and leveled out. I was getting exactly the same problem. But the moderators and software programmers were adamant that they could not reproduce the problem and that not everyone was experiencing the same issue.I'm very keen to see what the weekend brings with my setup as I'm pretty much now ready to install FS9 and everything all over again. I'm almost certain that I'll get a better response. So I'll try and post some results soonest.I was not using Vista Ultimate and I don't know if that had any impact on it either. It was not only FS9 that seemed to be grossly unhappy in Vista Enterprise, but a whole host of other applications seemed to have issues even though the vendors and Microsoft indicated that all would be OK. I literally never got BSOD's in XP. But they sure were happening in Vista!Will keep you posted.Brendan

Guest SiJones

Brendan,Thanks for the reply, again the symptom you describe of the stuttering getting less as you climb is exactly the same on my PC...frustrating considering the spec of the computer. I do wonder though is it some of the add ons I have installed; I deselected UT then GE then FS Global and still the stuttering. Looking forward the hearing the results of your reinstall! If successful I will be asking you for a tutorial :-) on how to install XP on the same computer as Vista or would it be easier just to do a complete HDD scrape and reinstall only XP?Kind regardsSi

If you decide to go with a setup which has two operating systems (XP or Vista), a Google search using "multiple boot" will bring up a wealth of information about the subject.I suggest researching the topic very carefully before making a decision.