Sign in to follow this  
mixen82

FS2004 under Windows Vista???

Opa,thanks for the suggestion but since I am a PC technician at a well-known Computer trader here in Southern Germany I am well aware of the possible difficulties and/or that can occur when creating a dualboot system. Especially with XP and Vista.

Guest brendanlynch

Fellow Simmers!Herewith the results of my XP rebuild and complete re-install of FS9:It would appear as if it's a no contest. Without question, my game is running infinitely better under Windows XP. It took a little tweaking between the game and the card, but I'm now achieving frame rates of 75 without any real effort.My one disappointment (and perhaps you guys have more comment on this from your own experience) is the feelThere 737 PIC. Although the developers say it's framerate friendly, it absolutely hammers the framerate on my machine and it's model performance is sorely lacking. I had seen a number of posts regarding the poor model and performance of the aircraft, so I have merged the 50North 737 series with the panel of the feelThere and things are somewhat better.I have been using Heathrow as a departure airport this weekend, as the weather has been miserable over here and consequently ActiveSky, Flight Environment and Ground Environemnt have been rendering a lot of heavy could. The game has coped well with the amount of cloud draw and has maintained a fairly even framerate draw throughout. Naturally things will slow down a little with the amount it needs to draw, but I guess we're not looking at a movie!Overall though, and with more testing to come, things seem to be way better than what i was getting with Vista. I'm not sure that the framerate setting needs to be that high in the game, as generally 25 fps in Europe and 29.97/30 fps in the US are standards. It didn't help to push it right to the end and use unlimited as that was affecting the sound as it tried to draw the frames as fast as possible. But I suppose fiddling with that will find the right setting.I found what appears to be a very informative guide to setting up and configuring graphics cards, and there was a lot of information in it for the Radeon series. You might find this useful too: http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_1.htmlSi, in answer to your question regarding a dual boot, there's a fairly good resource which explains that here: http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_wi...screenshots.htmIt will deal with both scenarios: XP first, or Vista first and there's a link to Easy BCD used to configure your boot files.For now I'm staying with XP. I'm not bashing Microsoft (I train their .NET products and technologies for a living!), but I feel that Vista was not providing what I had got for the last 7 years with XP. So I'm going to stay with XP and see what Windows 7 brings.I had also downloaded the latest DirectX files for XP and don't know how much impact that has had, but imagery is sharper and colours are bolder and clearer too.By far, the model which best performs with the card is the Kittyhawk 737-200. It is extremely framerate friendly but sadly doesn't have the fucntionality of the NG type Boeing 737. I'll continue to see how well the 50North merge does with the feelThere panel. On that topic, would any of you know what image file is used to draw the wheels? I have a repaint for the 50North 737-500 but the wheels are not drawing correctly and I thought I could steal one of the other bitmaps from another model. But I don't know what file it is.I think you will need to fiddle a lot before you get to a happy place with the 4870 and Flightsim under XP, but I seem to have it where I want it and there is no doubt (for me) that XP is handling it better. Even the FE, GE and Active Sky link up is better with no errors being reported.I also Auto-Tuned my card and so far it has been running quite happily - no noise, no over heating, just happy.Again, this is not definitive as there are probably a number of simmers who are using Vista without any issues. I would probably want to see how Vista Ultimate handles it sometime as my version was Vista Enteprise. But there is no doubt that I'm having a much better result with Windows XP Pro.I look forward to your comments.RegardsBrendan

>I think you will need to fiddle a lot before you get to a>happy place with the 4870 and Flightsim under XPThat's why I only and always prefer nVidia cards. Without overclocking ( I am against overclocking; it's needless, it's able to do damage to the hardware and the gained speed is not worth the risk of killing your components) or other tweaking my GeForce 8800GT makes constantly 120 fps in FS, even with heavy clouds it's not falling below 80 fps. And I have to say that I have VERY heavy AI traffic as well. As I said, I am a PC technician and I made the experience that nVidia is just a bit better than ATI (now AMD).mixen 82System:GigaByte MA790X-DS4AMD X2 6000+ NOT OVERCLOCKED!!2GB OCZ Platinum DDR2-800MSI NX 8800GT 512MBWindows XP Service Pack 2Saitek X52 Flight Control SystemSaitek Flight Control Rudder Pedals

>Hello all,>>>i am just wondering if fs2004 INCLUDING ALL ADDONS are running>under Windows Vista with no problems. This is because my>Flighsim has now seen over six years of modding and I don`t>want to do this again with FSX. If it would be a problem>running FS2004 with the addons on Vista then I will not change>my OS.>>Does somebody know this?>>mixen82The only FS2004 addons I've had trouble with under Vista 64-bit are:Blueprint KRDU v1.1 (.msi installer will not run under 64-bit OS)Reality XP GNS 430 and 530 (Garmin Trainer is a 16-bit app; their new GNS 430W/530W *will* work under a 64-bit OS)Dreamfleet Piper Dakota (there's a gauge that crashes it, don't know which one)I had to get new installers for a couple of things because mine were so old, but once I did, they worked fine.Here's a partial list of what I do have working under FS2004/Vista x64:ActiveSky 6.5Ultimate Terrain USA and UT Alaska/CanadaGround Environment ProFSGenesis mesh (lots) and landclassPMDG 737NG and 747-400LDS 767Wilco/Feelthere 737 PIC, Airbus v.1 and v.2, LegacyEaglesoft Beech 400, Citation II, Citation X, Citation CJ1+, Cirrus SR-22, Columbia 400Digital Aviation Fokker 70/100, PA-31T Cheyenne, Dornier Do 27Carenado planes (lots)Leonardo SH Maddog 2006Dreamfleet Archer, Bonanza, and Baron AFTER replacing the included RXP GNS units with the new GNS 430W or 530W purchased separatelyPSS 757 and 777FSNavigatorFS2004 does tend to crash on exit, but since I'm exiting, I don't worry about it too much.

Guest angel0fmars
>Hello all, > > >i am just wondering if fs2004 INCLUDING ALL ADDONS are running >under Windows Vista with no problems. This is because my >Flighsim has now seen over six years of modding and I don`t >want to do this again with FSX. If it would be a problem >running FS2004 with the addons on Vista then I will not change >my OS. > >Does somebody know this? > >mixen82 The only FS2004 addons I've had trouble with under Vista 64-bit are: Blueprint KRDU v1.1 (.msi installer will not run under 64-bit OS) Reality XP GNS 430 and 530 (Garmin Trainer is a 16-bit app; their new GNS 430W/530W *will* work under a 64-bit OS) Dreamfleet Piper Dakota (there's a gauge that crashes it, don't know which one) I had to get new installers for a couple of things because mine were so old, but once I did, they worked fine. Here's a partial list of what I do have working under FS2004/Vista x64: ActiveSky 6.5 Ultimate Terrain USA and UT Alaska/Canada Ground Environment Pro FSGenesis mesh (lots) and landclass PMDG 737NG and 747-400 LDS 767 Wilco/Feelthere 737 PIC, Airbus v.1 and v.2, Legacy Eaglesoft Beech 400, Citation II, Citation X, Citation CJ1+, Cirrus SR-22, Columbia 400 Digital Aviation Fokker 70/100, PA-31T Cheyenne, Dornier Do 27 Carenado planes (lots) Leonardo SH Maddog 2006 Dreamfleet Archer, Bonanza, and Baron AFTER replacing the included RXP GNS units with the new GNS 430W or 530W purchased separately PSS 757 and 777 FSNavigator FS2004 does tend to crash on exit, but since I'm exiting, I don't worry about it too much.
FSNavigator doesn't work for me and I'm running Vista 32bit. I can load the sceneries but when I press F9 nothing happens. Any help would be appreciated.All of my addons so far work well on FS2004 so far for me and I got a bunch of stuff loaded on there. Overland, PMDG, PSS, FlyTampa, Carenado, POSKY, just to name a few. Eric T.