Sign in to follow this  
Chuck_B

Flying In Minimized Windowed Mode

I fly multi-monitors in windowed mode and I just figured out that I can minimize the FS9 windows after reaching cruising altitude and my CPU temps go down at least 10c. Is there any harm in doing this -- flying in minimized mode for, say, 4 or 5 hours and then coming back, maximizing the window again to continue on or land? Could this practice cause or aggrivate the OOM issue that I've been having lately in any way?

Chuck- Going into Minimize also triggers Pause. But if you look closely, SOME FS functions continue operating even in Pause. Examples are: Frame Rate Counter continues- at a higher count!! And the Reality GPS world logo continues to spin. So some aspects do NOT pause- even when the red PAUSE is flashing.I've noticed that pausing for a few hours DOES cause some strange things- to the point of sometimes abandoning that flight and resetting. I've never seen an OOM but it strikes me that a long pause might well be a (or the) culprit.Fortunately my flights nowadays are short VFR hops so a restart doesn't raise the blood pressure too much!Alex Reid

Jim- My Pause on Task Sw is on(ticked). Any thoughts on why some FS functions continue even when Pause is active? (flashing red "PAUSE)Since FPS counter continues its calculations in Pause mode- (even showing a gain), does this imply that somehow the processor "keeps on ticking" like a timex watch? What does FPS represent when the sim is paused? Does perhaps the processor keep repetitively recomputing the current frame? Or if not recomputing the frame, at least sending the frozen frame to the GPU on a repetitive basis?Alex Reid

Hi Alex,I am no expert in this area, but pause just does that, it pauses the actions in the sim, including AI. But I would say that there are still tasks being performed. I am not sure if the CPU useage drops and stays at zero in Task Manager. As far as the FPS counter, it goes up because no new scenery calculations or any other calculations are being made. So the game is paused, but the CPU is not.Thanks,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

"----So the game is paused, but the CPU is not."-----------Jim- Yes,to my surprise after investigating, many elements of the game do continue whilst in PAUSE. In fact, almost everything seems to continue except scenery and engine activity. Presumably in a lonnnng pause there may develop an irreconcilible imbalance between paused and continuing functions. Hence the inability to continue the flight. (I guess when you get old, one has more time for contemplating these obscure thoughts!)Alex Reid

>I fly multi-monitors in windowed mode and I just figured out>that I can minimize the FS9 windows after reaching cruising>altitude and my CPU temps go down at least 10c. Is there any>harm in doing this -- flying in minimized mode for, say, 4 or>5 hours and then coming back, maximizing the window again to>continue on or land? Could this practice cause or aggrivate>the OOM issue that I've been having lately in any way?Hello ChuckI know nothing about what is a safe temperature for running FS(or anything about CPU temps for that matter),but somebody here probably does.You say your CPU drops 10c in minimised mode,perhaps if you could say what the temperature is before the 10c drop someone will be able to tell you weather it likely to cause problems ie the OOM.PS i always run my machine with the side panel off(purely as a precaution as i have never experienced any problems but it must help in keeping the cpu cool), i see you have cooling fans etc but might be worth a try as well.The FS motto In case of problems,whatever those problems may be "Try Everything"cheers Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Thanks Andy. The drop in temps for the CPU is a GREAT thing -- I already know that! I do a lot of long hauls in heavies -- and with the "Pause on Task Switch" deselected for various add ons that require it I have been minimizing the sim of late for no particular reason while I go do other things. I knew the flight would continue unimpaired, I just wondered if the sudden flash of graphics and generation of complex scenery could cause an OOM or a CTD -- or something like that.

Hello Chuck:For what it is worth, I frequently fly with FS minimized and have never had a problem. As someone else has said, when it is maximized again it may be a bit fuzzy. If you will pause the flight for a few moments the textures will kick in and recover. Seems like a small price to wait even a couple of minutes after a couple of hours delay while minimized to me.I also often will simply overlay FS with other tasks and let it continue maximized. (i.e. Word Processing + Resource Commentaries + Internet on multiple monitors). No problems here either with the exception that every time my aircraft reaches a new waypoint the FS display will override whatever other programs I am working with. Of course this probably adds temperature rather than reducing it, but I have never had a CTD or OOM as a result.Good luck:RTH