Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Commercial traffic addon worth the money ?

I have been using PAI for adding traffic to FS9. I would like to know what a commercial title could offer that I don't get with PAI?I have found three titles Traffic , Ultimate traffic and TrafficX (contains an updated FS2004 version). I think I read that the latter could improve performence in FSX. Would that also be true for FS9?Would be interested in comments from people who have used both PAI and a commercial title.

I do have Ultimate Traffic, I don't see much that it brings you that you can't get from the free sites PAI, WoAI etc etc.However UT is convienent, one Install and all that traffic setup nicely for you. Whereas with PAI, WoIA etc it does take some time and effort having to download and install all those separate packages, files, models etc.I started with UT first, then supplemented the areas UT was missing with PAI, WoIA etc. That was worked out well for me. So these commercial packages I think the real benefit is convienence. That could definitely be worth it for people who don't want to spend a lot of time searching, downloading and installing the free stuff.Regards.Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

Here is a photo of some of my unzipped PAI files in my install folder,with the PAI installer files(highlighted) unzipped into the same folder. It took a while to do this,but I can now just open the installer,and select all PAI files,and it automatically installs all airlines to CF9.Much better models than any payware out there,and all free!http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/192951.jpg

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

I have Traffic2004/2005/XOver time I've replaced all the models with the freeware AIA/EAI/TFS ones as, as mentioned above, the models you get in the payware packages are really quite awful compared to the feeebie ones.However I love the traffic editor that is built into Traffic. Easiest way to add and edit your own traffic.

PAI packages are so out dated. The schedules are old and the models and paints are old and they show it. I used to use UT, I switched all of my models over to Aardvark and others and got away from PAI/Flight 1 AI models. Now I no longer use UT and manually install schedules and repaints. Doesn't really take too long. I have well over 900 airlines installed. With a little work and using the current schedules available on AVSIM, you can get a good AI setup.

What about this advertised description for MyTraffic X'The AI traffic corresponds to the real life air traffic throughout the world. Take-offs and landings take place with the correct aircraft types and airlines on each airport.'Does this also apply for PAI?

What about the amount of traffic? At newark KEWR I only saw three aircraft with default traffic and traffic slider 90%. With PAI I only saw a few more. In some screenshot for commercial titles I have seen significantly more planes.

Guest H_Kev55

I spent 2 years working for PAI. At that time they were the best thing going. But with more modellers and more time better models starting popping up.At the end of my stint the first Ultimate Traffic package used the PAI models but with different textures.Not sure what the later UT packages use.If you want simplicity with what I think are the best models for commercial airlines today, then you need World of AI.If you want to manually add aircraft there are several ways to go.The Fruit StandAIAardvark.And a few more that I can't recall.If you want military. From F16's to Apaches, to Air Force 1, then hop on over to MilitaryAIWorks.MAIW has released almost a dozen new AI specific models this year alone. The latest being the hobbys first AI specific helicopter.Some packages even include custom scenery by the best designers in the business.And all MAIW packages have self installers.Suffice to say, there is no need to spend your hard earned cash on payware traffic when you can get the best for free.MAIWAvatarBig.png

Guest contrail

For realistic AI I just make my own, it's pretty easy to do using the tools that are available, and you use whatever aircraft you wish for looks, framerates, etc.1. Download latest airline timetable info(pdb file)from http://www.fedtravel.com/PDA.asp?Flights=Y...&Hotels=&Home=Y2. Use PDBReader (google search PDBReader.zip, still available through ProjectAI forum last time I checked)to put THAT file into the format needed to be read by...3. MRAI FlightPlan Compiler(Avsim?). And once any errors(missing/extra flights from timetable)are corrected you are ready for..4. TTools(Avsim?). Which will create bgl file for/into flight simulator.5. AITM(V2.0 for FS9) Great for viewing, sorting, editing, add/delete/merge flight plans. Seems like a lot of work, and for some(especially larger)carriers it's a pain because of mistakes in their schedules. I use a freeware text editor(PSPad)to help find/do corrections to the flight plans that have errors. Have done pretty much all of the airline/commuter flights for the U.S.(ONLY)using this method for the last two spring/summer and fall/winter sessions, and also update(because the airlines do)periodically during the season. All depends I guess on how much time/work you are willing/able to spend on the project if it's worth it or not. It took me a couple of weekends to get them all done.Definitely learned to appreciate the work that MRAI/others put into creating the programs/flight plans for us to enjoy realistic AI. They truly made Flight Simulator "As Real As It Gets", for me anyway.BTW, I currently have about 600,000 flight segments(USA departure/arrivals only)so I had to do a lot of STAR method(multiple runway usage)to major airports AFCAD's to help with traffic flow during peak hours. Also use a batch file to easily convert AI aircraft textures to DXT1(smaller file size/better frame rates).

Um, what? Are you accusing AI Aardvark of piracy?Are you not thinking of the pirated Skai and Adobe crap?Ultimate Traffic still uses PAI models, but it is not the models that make that package interesting. That would be mostly the schedule data and the program itself. UT contains more airlines than WOAI and PAI combined. And everything is current to Summer 07. Unfortunately, they will release no further schedule updates, but it's still a good base to begin with. Replace all the models with the better freeware models available. Then assign all the textures you can find. Then add some cargo and charter plans, then replace some UT 07 plans with more up-to-date ones from AIG for example. Then add all UGA and MAIW packages. Then you have screen shots filled with AI. Of course, it takes quite a bit of time and effort to get there, but it's worth it in my opinion. :D

Mike...

Guest H_Kev55

>And let it be known that AI Aardvark contains pirated>models.>>Jim>I never knew that Jim. That's quite surprising.MAIWAvatarBig.png

>Suffice to say, there is no need to spend your hard earned>cash on payware traffic when you can get the best for free.>Yes I think I will stay with PAI at least for the time being. Otherwise I do think the commercial titles has something extra to offer for example the time machine feature in Mytraffic.