Sign in to follow this  
Chuck_B

ILS Headings Appears Reversed in AFCAD-KPHL

Can someone help me? Both an AVSIM addon AFCAD and the original AFCAD for the old SimFlyers KPHL. Whenever I'm been vectored in my ILS doesn't come alive until right AFTER I land. This problem happens at no other airport.Upon examination in Lee Swordy's AFCAD program it appears that the ILS designators are all reversed - i.e. true headings for runways 9L and 9R are 255.450 and the true headings for both runways 27L and 27R are 75.450. Is that correct?Worse, when I try to change these headings and swap them they apparently don't change in flight simulator -- they go back to their the headings listed above I still have the same problem -- no valid ILS into Philly. I have no idea what I did or what's happening -- I have the scenery for a couple of years now and this is a recent development.I'm flying the POSKY 757 and Florian Kreuzer's Ultimate Boeing Panel from here at AVSIM (theultimateboeingpanel_v31.zip).Thanks for any help you can provide!

Make sure you have only one of the two add-on afcads installed. You can only have one besides the stock (default) layer.When changing the data, always use Save As as opposed to Save from the menu. When opening a file always open it from the airport search function, not the most recent file list in the file dropdown. These procedures insure you are writing and reading the file from disk as opposed to caching problems experienced by some.

Couldn't find any problems in the AFCAD file that was uploaded. The only thing I note is that the AFCAD edits the primary end ILS (PHL and VII) and unchecks the "enable backcourse" option. The AFCAD uses the default secondary end ILS (GLC and PDP) which, like all default ILS have "enable backcourse" checked. I don't think that will hurt anything, but some folks have had what seems like a problem picking up the backcourse instead at times. You might want to edit that AFCAD to uncheck the "enable backcourse" for GLC and PDP.scott s..

9R and 27L share 109.30. 9L and 27R share 108.95.On these localizers the backcourse should be turned off. If not, in FS, unless you are within about two degrees of center line the aircraft during the intersecting course can pick up the opposing localizer (and GS) giving false navigation sensing (reversed on the localizer). This can be checked by listening to the audio Morse code ident or reading the ID on your ND or PFD. You'll get the opposing ident until very near the center line.You caught that Scott :)In addition in the add-on AFCAD I have the 9s are defined as the base end (lower part of the runway properties window) and the true heading for the base end is correctly defined as 75.450 degrees.

Hello Chuck:You state, "for the old SimFlyers KPHL". By that my assumption is that you have the original and oldest version. If you have the later version, I may not be of any help and the following may or may not apply.The problem you describe is not unique to KPHL, but several if not all of the original "SimFlyer" locations had this problem. Some, but not all of the approaches at various SimFlyer airports appeared like backcourses but should have included glideslopes.The old SimFlyer website had a number of "traffic fixes" and afcad files available. If I remember correctly, it was the "traffic fixes" that corrected these problems. The site may not still be available, but if would like, I would be happy to email you what I have if you will contact me. My email address is rthodgestoo@verizon.net. Do you have any other SimFlyer airports, or is KPHL the only one in question? My reason for asking is that the files are rather large, and it probably will require multiple emails due to yours, mine, or both of our internet server limitations. The "traffic fix" that incuded KPHL was a composite fix for 10 SimFlyer airports. Good luck:RTHEdit:Chuck, I just checked and the SimFlyer Website is in fact still available: http://www.simflyers.net/The files in question may still be available there. I think they were tied to one of the links under "Support/FAQ", but I am not sure, they may be under "links" now. Anyway, should be worth a peek. Look for "traffic fixes".

Thanks, everyone! RTH: I'll check out the site and apply the fixes. I just reinstalled everything on a new build and I don't remember applying the fixes, so I'll bet that's what it is! If not, I'll send you an email. Thanks so much -- your memory is incredible to have pulled that one out of the hat!