Sign in to follow this  
Mike...

Where does an AI aircraft park in a parking spot?

Okay, so we know how model radii work, but I was wondering just how AI park in a parking spot? Do they park in the middle? What is it that determines the middle of an AI aircraft? Is it the model radius? Is it a value from the aicraft.cfg file, CG, eyepoint?The reason I'm asking is that for example an AI MD-80 parks too much 'forward', so that it doesn't line up with a jetway. While other aircraft of the same or similar radius park just fine.Assume that I have gate small parking spots of 25m. Recommended Radius for the MD-80 is 24m. Will it park better if I increase it to 25? Same goes for the A340-500/600. They're quite long, so what if I increase their radius from 42 to 43m? (Assuming that I have gate large spots of 43m.)I suppose I could do some testing. But I was hoping someone already knows how this works exactly. Reggie or Jim, perhaps?

Mike...

As near as we can tell the center of the model parks over the center of the parking spot.Changing the model radius won't change how the aircraft parks.Since different modelers use different center locations for their aircraft, some even different center locations for different models by the same designer - each individual aircraft will park differently.The biggest discrepancy is when due to repaint availability you might have two or three versions of a particular aircraft by different modelers - and all park differently.