Sign in to follow this  
Carob

AI Aircraft Sounds

Hello. I'm hoping someone can answer this quick question for me.Is there any performance loss in giving the AI aircraft sounds? I know there are some pay products out there to provide somewhat acurate sounds to AI aircraft and those sounds are only for AI aircraft.What is the main issue with giving AI planes aliases to user aircraft sounds?Thanks very much!

What is the main issue with giving AI planes aliases to user aircraft sounds?You can do that in FSX, you cannot do that in FS2004.FS2004 AI aircraft only use sounds a set of files in the main sound folder - they all start with AI_*.wav

I don't think that's exactly true because I can add sounds to the AI aircraft sound folder and they work just fine. I was just trying to find out what the drawback to this is as there must be one, right?

AI aircraft use a very simple standard sound set in FS9. Even a flyable aircraft (with it's own dedicated sound folder) which is being used as an AI (not recomended) will use this standard sound set. FS9 will simply ignore any specific sound folder contents whether aliased from another aircraft or not. The only thing you could do is to change the standard sound set sounds but these will be played for all aircraft within each catagory, e.g. jets, piston engines, etc.This is also the reason why AI aircraft should only have the following folders/files:ModelTextureAircraft.cfgXXXXXX.airAnything more than that is pure ballast for your system.Hope this helps.Hans

When you say it's not recommended, why is that? That was why I asked the initial question.Some of my AI aircraft do have sounds but I would like to add sound to the rest as well.

Hi,As stated above, the Sound folder inside the plane's folder is NOT used for AI aircraft, only a small list of sounds in the main FS SOUND folder. A plane that you fly will use the Sound folder, but when used as an AI plane it is *not* used.Flyable planes used as AI aircraft have two problems - first is that they are not built with multiple levels of detail (LOD), and thus tend to be hard on frame rates. Second, they often do not fly well as AI aircraft. No harm in trying it out, though.Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

I was talking about for AI planes. If I put a "sound" folder inside an AI aircraft that contains a sound.cfg file that has an alias for another aircraft's sound folder it works perfectly fine.I'm not sure how you have gone about trying this but that's how it works for me.So, If I create this folder for an AI plane and point it to another aircraft, in this case perhaps a flyable plane, that particular AI plane now has and uses the sounds for that flyable plane. Now, obviously I don't care about the majority of them. Things like flap sounds, startup/shutdown sounds, etc.

I've already done it. Not turning a jet into a prop but have configured AI planes to use other sounds.I don't care if they are not the exact sounds for that particular aircraft. It's just nice to have something there.Kind of getting off topic though. I'm just trying to find out what the down sides are to doing this. People say it's not good to do but I'm trying to find out why.

I tested aliasing an AI Phantom jet's sound to that of the standard flyable FS9 Cessna 172 but as expected, it didn't work.So to definitely answer your specific questions: The "down side" is that it just DOESN'T WORK unless you are using some kind of Hokus Pokus inwhich all experienced FS9 users including myself, would be very interested.Why the use of a flyable aircraft as an AI is "not good" or "not recomended" is correctly answered by Reggie Fields above.Hans

>I've already done it. Not turning a jet into a prop but have>configured AI planes to use other sounds.>>I don't care if they are not the exact sounds for that>particular aircraft. It's just nice to have something there.>>Kind of getting off topic though. I'm just trying to find out>what the down sides are to doing this. People say it's not>good to do but I'm trying to find out why.As has been stated, unless you have discovered something "new" in FS2004, AI aircraft simply ignore any sound folder which may be in the aircraft's folder. It does not matter how the sound may be aliased.Instead, they use the following sound files which are in your main sound folder:There are 13 files which start with

I think you guys misunderstood me. I wasn't talking about using flyable aircraft for AI aircraft. I was talking about using flyable aircraft sounds for the AI aircraft.

>I think you guys misunderstood me. I wasn't talking about>using flyable aircraft for AI aircraft. I was talking about>using flyable aircraft sounds for the AI aircraft.That is exactly what we have been addressing. AI planes simply do not use anything other than the default sounds as detailed in another response.

What you're saying is that if you alias an AI aircraft sounds to, say, the Lear 45 that AI aircraft doesn't use those sounds?If that's what you're saying then I don't know what to say because it works for me. I have done this with other aircraft as well but I'm not at my machine so can't give specifics.

>What you're saying is that if you alias an AI aircraft sounds>to, say, the Lear 45 that AI aircraft doesn't use those>sounds?>>If that's what you're saying then I don't know what to say>because it works for me. I have done this with other aircraft>as well but I'm not at my machine so can't give specifics.If it works for you, please tell us what aircraft YOU are in and in what view and if your engines are off etc. when you hear a Lear sound which has been aliased to a Cessna for example.Are you parked next to the AI Aircraft in question?Some of use would like to try to duplicate exactly what you are reporting and would need complete details in order to do so.