Sign in to follow this  
Carob

AI Aircraft Sounds

No, I am not hearing the sounds of the plane I am in if that's what you're asking.If I am able I will try this weekend to narrow down a couple of specifics and report back.

I think all of you may have missed the boat on this one. If you read the original post you will find that this gentlemen is NOT talking about AI aircraft. He is talking about a flyable aircraft (different design from AI aircraft) called by a flight plan using the "title=" statement contained in the flying aircraft's aircraft.cfg file.Normally in an AI aircraft's folder there is no sound folder or sound alias. FS9 will default to the AI sounds. You can put anything you want in an AI aircraft's sound folder and it will still not be used.I this case, I believe you can point the sound.cfg file (flyable aircraft) to anything you want - even a prop sound set running with a jet aircraft - weird but doable.So, I believe you can use a flying aircraft called for in a flight plan. The "aircraft.txt" file could contain the title of the flying aircraft (within its config file). The reason you wouldn't want to do this is because of the size of the default/3rd-party flying aircraft. The aircraft folder is way too large to use for AI. If you don't think that matters try using a POSKY aircraft for AI. I have tried that and man it really drags the system down.The reason I think this works is it seems to me that in the past I used a flying aircraft as AI and one time I was sitting on the ramp and this aircraft passed my location and the sound coming from the aircraft was prop. Unfortunately, the aircraft was a multi-engined jet - Oooooops.fb

You are half right.Actually, I was talking about AI aircraft. Just having those aircraft use sounds from whatever I want.If what you say is true, then why is it some of my AI planes have sound and some don't? I'm not knocking you. I'm just trying to figure it out. And, how do I get the ones that don't have sound to get it? Again, if what you say is true then putting an alias in there won't do anything.

Let's approach this from a different perspective. If we could simply give different AI different sounds, by sound aliasing, then why the need for addon programs to accomplish the same thing? And then why do we only find packages that improve upon the (x)ai_*.wav sounds and nothing else?Carob (I believe you have to sign posts with your real name), if an AI aircraft used as AI (you're not flying it yourself) uses an aliased sound instead of the default AI sound, what is the type of that aircraft? What I mean is, does it appear in the aircraft selection screen or not? I'm wondering if that's the key. If it's non-flyable, AI sound, not, aliasing works.Maybe you can test that out, verify it with the aircraft that is behaving unconventionally. (You can use AirEd or FS Aircraft Typer to check this.)Me, I'm using this package, makes a real difference.> People say it's not good to do but I'm trying to find out why.Where do people say that? If the consensus is that this doesn't work, why would people say it's not good?

Mike...

I don't think it matters if the aircraft shows in the selection list or not. There are a number of utilities that can change that. I have been using one in particular the last few days as I have been added more AI traffic. I use the tool to make them visible so I can make sure they appear correctly (basically making sure I didn't screw something up)before adding the actual traffic.Let's uses your example... You are using the "ai_sound.zip" file. The benefit to that, I'm sure, is better sounding AI planes vs the default. Okay, what is the downside to using those? Larger files, more system resources, slower FS, etc? That was my initial question.

The file sizes are slightly larger, so there's 'more work' to be done. The performance difference is gonna be negligible however.

Mike...

>Me, I'm using>this package,>makes a real difference.>Is it me or do the first three Large Jet files in this package sound ientical to each other?

I just took a look at all of the files in this package with my Sound Editor (Adobe Audtion).It appears the 1,2,3 versions of each set are indeed exactly the same.If this not acceptable, you might try one of the other packages which are available in the library.I use a combination of the following:aisound_1.0.zip from Avsim andaisnz.zip from Flightsim. They work well for me.

Thanks, Opa. TTYTT, I've used those files and I rarely hear ANYTHING from an AI aircraft -- nada -- silencio. Do you suppose something is broken?

I would doubt anything is "broken". You may be expecting more than these files can deliver however.Experiment with the position of the sliders in your FS sound dialogue - that may help. Also I get the best results when my engines are off and I am watching (and listening) from spot view (rather than cockpit view) to AI aircraft which are close to my aircraft - i.e. parked next to me.I understand the AI sound options in FSX are considerably improved over what is possible in FS2004 but cannot verify that.Good luck.

>There's a new package available:>http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=129664>>I installed it, but have not fired up the old sim yet (too>busy updating AI).I saw that but take issue with the author's instructions to overwrite the existing files. I recommend that you back up the existing ones first - in case you do not care for the replacements.

Guest XQ-NUE

@ opaI think it is kind of a law to back up the specific files before installing something new. Should be the first lesson for FS Newbies :-)So If someone do not mention to back up the specific files I do it.btw. the new AI Sounds are great