Sign in to follow this  
Guest wildride

Strange Menu CTD

Guest wildride

Hey folks,Looked all over the internet for this one, but had no luck.Recently, I've purchased a new PC with the intention of being able to run FS9 here at university... Here are the specs:Dell Inspiron 8400Windows XP Home SP3nVidia Geforce 8500GT 256MB2.5GB RAMComputer's hardly a slouch... Anyway, I've tried getting FS9 to load, both patched and unpatched, CD and No-CD, but cannot do it. It will load to the point of the "getting started" screen display it for about a second or two, and then crash right to the desktop with no warning or error message...Now, interestingly, the same install (on an external drive for both) loads perfectly fine on my laptop on Windows Vista if run as an administrator. Unfortunately, my laptop is on integrated graphics so it kinda screws that plan up a little.I've tried just about everything I can think of to get this to work on this computer, but I've had no luck - the same install has worked for 3 years on every other computer I've used.Any ideas?Cheers

Guest wildride

Well, tried a few more things...1) Delete FS9.cfg - No Luck.2) Delete FS9 folder in AppData - No Luck.3) Revert to WinXP SP2 - No Luck.4) Newest Video Card drivers - No Luck.5) Change the menu FS9 loads to by default - No Luck,6) Open up a saved .flt file and have FS9 immediately load - the "loading flight" screen came up, but it sat at 0% for maybe five seconds and then proceeded to CTD.I'm pretty much out of ideas here, has anyone got anything else?Cheers

Guest zacharace

Have you tried reformatting? This is a last resort, but unfortunately it looks like you've tried everything else...Also, a program running in the background or launching at start up may be interfering with FS, possibly an anti-virus program or graphics drivers. A wild guess, but it could happen. Try playing around with the start options on "msconfig" (Start-->Run-->"msconfig").Hope this helps (a little).Zach

Guest wildride

Just done a complete reformatting, reinstalling Windows XP, the base computer software & drivers, DirectX 9, and the graphics card drivers, with no luck... I'm not really sure what else to do - everything else runs totally fine.Cheers

Guest wildride

Still no luck... I guess the best option would be to find an FS9 CD Set down here (I'm at college and can't get to my CDs) and maybe try an installation - though admittedly I dont think I ever installed it on my laptop with Vista...

Guest wildride

Alrighty then... I've reformatted, installed nothing except a brand new ATI X1550 graphics card, DX9, and drivers, and tried it again, and still nothing.I'm pretty much solid out of ideas, especially considering the same install works just fine on Vista. Anyone with any ideas? I'm about ready to give up here.