Sign in to follow this  
AWACS

Defragged my HD, textures load slower than ever!

Or not at all sometimes, unless I pause the sim for an hour.I recently defragged my FS drive (a partition) with Auslogics free disk defragmenter and now textures are very very slow to load, much worse than before. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can fix this?Thanks,Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

Guest belga1

Hello,What was the level of fragmentation before you defrag .. and what is the level now ?I doubt seriously .. your very slow deploiement of your textures files or others have to do with a fragmentation problem.At last you can run another time a defragmentation using the default defragmenter of your OS .. if you believe the problem come from a defrag-fragmentation problem.Generally speaking a very slow deploiement of files is the result of other(s) proggies running in background and particulary proggies who scan or read some files ... (Antivirus ..etc ..)A other cause of severe slowdown is spywares and malwares running hidden in the background...Had you also check the performances of your CPU and memory state .. ALT-CTRL-DELNormally if you dont start any proggies the activity must be called iddle ..and like 0-2% as power develloped intermitendly .. and memory used must be low .. between like 120 and 200 Mo after a fresh start of PC (200 is already high for my standards of a clean boot for a clean and tweaked configuration :))Cheers.

Hi, thank you for your response, unfortunately I'm quite certain that this issue was caused by my choice to use a free (and simple) defragmentation tool. I would be interested in learning the proper way to defragment and which defrag software to use when it comes to my FS drive. I used ultimate defrag until my trial period expired andit worked well.Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

Try IObit SmartDefrag. It's free and great.I've been using it with no problems for some time now.Maybe it will reset your files in a proper way (choose optimization too).No harm to try anyway.Best regards,Rafal

HelloI have used both Auslogic's and I-OBIT defraggers and have experienced no problems with FS9 texture loading or any other issues with FS9 .I have also never experienced any noticeable increase in FS9 performance either using both of those or any other defragger.PS I still defrag...why? it just makes me feel good to do it from time time.Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Guest Ford Friendly

There's a thread and post over in the FSX Forum that might be of interest to you.The thread title "I died and have gone to heaven! WOW, WOW, and er..WOW!" Thread starter- Sesquashtoo Thu Feb-21-08 08:30 PM See the post by Nick_N Sat on Feb-23-08 at 02:54 AM I don't have the 8.5 version that Nick recommends, but still find that his procedure has sped up my HDD/computer's responsiveness overall, not just for FSimming.YMMVG'luck

Hello everybody!Did someone ever, ever measure seriously and precise the gain of speed after defragmentation of a hard disk. I believe not! I think this is more wishful thinking...My personal opinion is, simply forget it. I make several attempts and I could never ever see any noticeable differences neither with loading files nor within the simulator.Mick!

No! I think getting better performance (i. e. more FPS) due to a defrag is wishfull thinking. I don't see any reason why this should be the case.Maybe the speed of the initial loading of the sim, entering the menue etc. could probably be increased a little though. And perhaps a defrag will cure stuttering, at least a little bit.Conclusion: defragging is highly overrated IMHO.Cheers,Wolfgang

Guest Ford Friendly

Well, NickN is an IT professional and claims to have measurable results. He also provided a well-described explanation of why his "sequence"/procedure works. Most of those who responded in the FSX forum after following his procedure agree that their system, at least, "feels" faster than before.YMMV.

Guest ThrottleUp

My personal opinion is, simply forget it. I make several attempts and I could never ever see any noticeable differences neither with loading files nor within the simulator. I must say I totally and utterly agree with the above statement. I have never seen any improvement in simming or any other program for that matter following a defrag. Now I have heard people say that their PC boots 2.157383957583sec faster etc.etc but these are time scales that do not matter at all in day-day life.Furthermore I strongly beleive its more of a "feeling" that your computer is running faster. After all you paid money for that fancy defragger with is glossy smart interface its *gotta* make a difference. "My goodness MSPaint DOES go faster!!"After looking at colored blocks dancing around in circles (the common defrag animation) I've come out a non-beleiver in the process. Ok perhaps they *do* "defrag" and "tidy" up the disk but performance-wise in everyday use I notice nothing. So I stopped defragging a long time ago and notice no ill effects. Why put more wear and tear on your drive by "defragging". I used to cringe when I heard my poor Samsung HD roaring away as the colored blocks danced around :( My gf has had a laptop for almost a year and she doesnt know what defrag is even. Her Dell machine screams along at top speed no problems.So yes...if you have an atomic clock to measure boot-time & program-launch times then yes perhaps a difference but daily use - no. Save your money I say!

I believe it highly depends on the level of fragmentation and the system. NTFS also behaves differently than FAT32. FAT32 generally had a noticeable improvement from defragging as it would scatter bits of a file in any empty 8bit hole it could find, causing the harddrive to have to constantly skip around to collect all the pieces. I'm not sure how NTFS handles it, but I know it's supposed to reduce fragmentation.The general idea is to get all the bytes of a file in the same spot so it can be read faster. It also helps if you can get all the files to one program in the same general area. I've yet to do a defrag on my computer with the NTFS file system even after several years, though given the recent sluggishness to the pint that my textures hardly load and my page file crapping out. I'm willing to try and see what improvement I get. I know in the past, I've had noticeable improvement even with the Windows de-frag, but that was in the days of Windows 98.----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satellite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004, MIDCON P-401"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

Defragging a drive never hurts, as a fragmented drive can hurt performance, but it is only a small part in a much bigger picture of system performance. I was getting lousy fs2004 performance, so finally I reinstalled Windows XP and installed Fs2004 on a dedicated 2nd drive that is used for nothing else, and my performance is much improved. My XP system has much less overhead and "junk" running and the sim loads better and runs better, partially because I have much fewer add-ons installed.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

>Defragging a drive never hurts, as a fragmented drive can>hurt performance, but it is only a small part in a much bigger>picture of system performance. Okay, agree. But at what scale? Milliseconds, seconds? Let's be honest with ourselves, after installing any tools which promises performance boosts, new smaller textures, and so on, we all 'feel' in the beginning something like: 'Ahhh, this runs smooth now, really fast'.Until we are back in day by day usage and actually nothing really changes :-)>I was getting lousy fs2004 performance, so finally I>reinstalled Windows XP and installed Fs2004 on a dedicated 2nd>drive that is used for nothing else, and my performance is>much improved. My XP system has much less overhead and "junk">running and the sim loads better and runs better, partially>because I have much fewer add-ons installed. Yes, but this is something completely different than defragmentation, isn't it...Why not, like we say in Germany 'Naegel mit Koepfen machen' making nails with heads:Buy a big new hard disk, copy all and everything onto this drive, delete all on the source drive and copy everything back.So the source drive is not fragmented anymore AND you have a backup at the same time.Mick!

I bought Ultimate Defrag and used the Hi-Performance and by File and Folder name options when I reinstalled my setup of FS9 and I've noticed slightly faster load times for the MegaCity titles I own, about thirty seconds shorter than it was before. I've also noticed that I now get far fewer blurries and faster tile load times close up when flying in these areas as well. I used to have tiles sometimes just stay blurry right underneath my aircraft, even when paused!A greater benefit though was when I installed FS9 on a new separate hard drive and used Ultimate Defrag to put it on the outer portion of the drive with the above options. What a difference! It didn't help with frame rates, but it vastly improved texture load times and the blurries. I can't really quantify the time differences because I never timed load times before my changes, but I can tell there has been an improvement.Kim