Sign in to follow this  
lostmoon

How do I install liveries?

Dear Gentlemen,I've simmed for about 5 years now, and I have NEVER downloaded outside liveries before. I got the PMDG747, and have now downloaded fantastic liveries from AVSIM.The thing is, can someone tell me where I am supposed to put the files? I am sorry if this is such a rudimentary question, but any suggestions would be appreciated.Regards,TomNew York

Guest sobaka

Hi Tom,I'm not good at explaining things but if you emailed me I could send you step by step screenshots as it's a little involved , you can't just stick the livery into the file, but it's not difficult to do, once you know how (the old story). If you know how to copy and paste text, you're half way there. Two things work together, the livery, which is called a texture file, and the air file. The easiest way to try to understand how it works is open your aircraft folder where all your plane folders are. (simple...microsoft games...fs9...aircraft) In there each plane has its own folder. Pick one plane folder that you know has a few different liveries already. You'll know because it will have several texture folders when you open it (something like texture.1, texture.2 , texture.3 for example. But the texture files could also have names , whatever you like..eg. texture.ac (for Air Canada) texture.klm, and so on) now open the air file (called aircraft CFG file)in that plane folder and look close . You will notice there is a list starting at the top with fltsim.0 , then after several lines of info you will see fltsim.2 , then a few lines further fltsim.3 , and so on until you get to the paragraph beginning with General. Each one of those fltsim. paragraphs represents a livery of that plane. Say the last fltsim in the list is fltsim.3 , that means that this plane in your game presently has 3 liveries or paintjobs. First copy this aircraft cfg file and stick it somewhere safe like in a folder in my documents called fs2004 backup files , so if you screw this up you still have the original. Now paste or put your new livery you downloaded in the plane folder it belongs to. What you should do is download a livery from avsim for a plane you don't worry about screwing up to practice , like say, the crappy default cessna 172.(sorry Bill Gates) When you put your new downloaded livery folder in the plane folder you should name it texture."something" (but also, the download might have already put it in a folder and named it for you, in that case just copy it to the plane folder), now open the aircraft cfg file, and if the last file in the list (just above General) is fltsim.3 , then the one you just added will be fltsim.4. What I do is simply copy fltsim.0 and its paragraph at the top and paste it again at the bottom of the list just above General and then change the information which is mostly just the number (the 0 to a 4) and most importantly the name of the texture to whatever name you gave the texture folder or livery (eg. If you called your new livery folder texture.red , then in the aircraft cfg file if your new livery was fltsim.4 , below that where you see the texture line, it would say texture=red ). Plus a few more lines to change like name of airline etc. But I think I gave you enough info to figure out how to do it. Oh...biggy...don't forget to say yes when you close the aircraft cfg file and it asks "Do you want to save the changes?".In fact, alot of livery makers will already have the fltsim paragraph done for you to simply paste in the aircraft cfg file in their "read me" text,you just need to change the 2 xx's after fltsim. to whatever number this new texture is in the list. Now start up the game and pick that plane and see if your new livery is there. I learned that if it wasn't there , it was usually something stupid I did in the aircraft cfg file,something simple like got one of the lines wrong, forgot to change a number or something. Good luck, any problems email me brianpfeiffer@sympatico.ca :-beerchug

Guest fsxflyerofa380

Hi! :-wave Well you should download the livey. (-: Unzip the zip file. View the readme for important imformation and we will need this later :-scatter Open up the file and copy the folder named texture.(anything). go to the airplane or helicopter folder wth all the fies like texture and model. paste it there:7 now go back to the readme file. Copy the text with all the numbers and words (usally said by the file). Go to the aircraft cpg in the aircraft or helicopter folder. Go down to the last entree atarting with flightsim(or soimular) and paste it there . make sure the x is replaced by the next number in line fro the other one. save and your done!! :D

>Hi! :-wave>> Well you should download the livey. (-:>> Unzip the zip file.> > View the readme for important imformation and we will>need this later :-scatter>> Open up the file and copy the folder named>texture.(anything)>. >> go to the airplane or helicopter folder wth all the>fies like texture and model. paste it there:7>> now go back to the readme file. Copy the text with all the>numbers and words (usally said by the file).>> Go to the aircraft cpg in the aircraft or helicopter>folder. >> Go down to the last entree atarting with flightsim(or>soimular) and paste it there . make sure the x is replaced by>the next number in line fro the other one. save and your>done!! :DNo offence, luckily this is an old post and the fellow asking the question probably figured it out before you and the other fellow chimed in. Your explanation is good if he downloaded a texture file containing .BMP's. PMDG, LevelD, Wilco use self installers to install thier liveries. Captain Sim includes the liveries in the package you buy, no cutting or pasting is required because everything required is already put into place including the info required in the aircraft.cfg

\Robert Hamlich/