Sign in to follow this  
Scott Miller

Heading Indicator 180 degrees off

I have both FS2004 and FS2002 on my system. I'm having a problems with the latter. I'm posting this message here since there is no FS2002 forum and in the hope that someone might have had a similar problem in FS9 (or remembers having this problem in FS2002).The problem is, after installing new hard drives on my system and restoring FS2002 from a backup then reinstalling my MegaScenery, USA/World extreme landscape software along with various other add-on products I discovered a problem. After starting FS2002 up then switching to a different airport the heading indicator (compass, too) suddenly flips 180 degrees (for example, it reads 180 when I'm actually facing 360). The heading indicator reads correctly only for at the airport in my default flight. Hitting the reset button doesn't correct the problem.I can't figure out what is causing this (either one of the MegaScenery products or the World/USA Extreme Landscape or something else entirely different.Any ideas on what is causing the problem and how to fix it would be appreciated (Incidentally, I'm not seeing this problem in FS2004 (yet))! Thanks!

HiSome time ago I had a similar problem in FS9. In my case the compass was not quite 180 degrees out but close. The problem turned out to be a totally unrelated scenery folder (not even close to where I was flying) - perhaps just one of the .bgl files. It was very difficult to find -- I removed or disabled each indiviual folder - restarting FS each time until the problem disappeared. I was probably fortunate to find it. Not sure if this could occur in FS2002 or not.Hope this helps.Warren

Hi Warren,Actually, my heading indicator isn't off by exactly 180 degrees either. Its closer to 160 degrees (162 to be precise)off. Sounds like my problem is the same,or at least very similar to what you encountered. It's worth looking into anyway (the alternative being to reinstall FS2002 and the dozens, if not hundreds, of addon aircraft, scenery files, and other enhancements I have for FS2002)from scratch!Thanks!Scott

Are you using Vista? I had this problem when I ran FS in Vista, and narrowed it down to a set of AFCADs for China.Bryn.

Streaming at twitch.tv/brynmwr

Its either a problematic scenery (with wrong magnetic variation) or you have not set your gyro compass to auto align with the magnetic.Did you try pressing the D key to align the gyro compass ?If you do and it does not then it is a scenery problem.

Hellenic vACC - Olympic Aegean Virtual

Prepar3D 5.3 | CPU i9 10900K | VGA: RTX 3070 | RAM: 32GB DDR4 | Monitor: 3440x1440

Hi, BrynNo, I'm using XP Pro. The problem turned out to be caused by a MegaScenery Southern California file apparently corrupted by the update file, which threw the heading indicator off 30 degrees, and by my installing the Pacific Northwest MegaScenery package. The info that came with the latter says it will work with FS2002, but it lied! Installing the PNW in FS2002 threw the heading indicator off 160 some degrees. Uninstalling the latter entirely from FS2002 and NOT applying the update patch to the former made the problem go away!Scott

Isn't the gyro compass set to auto align by default? At any rate, it was turned out to be a scenery problem (see my reply to Byrn)....

You hit it the nail on the head, Warren! The problem was scenery related, specifically a patched MegaScenery Southern California and the Pacific Northwest MegaScenery (which, contrary to it's documtation, does NOT work with FS2002)! Reinstalling the former sans the patch and removing the latter entirely fixed the problem. Thanks for the help!Scott