Sign in to follow this  
scianoir

Scenery library maximum limit?

Hi!Does anyone know what the maximum number of possible layers is in the scenery library and what happens when you hit that limit? I have reached 1094 and now when I add another scenery either it or a previously added one seems to disappear. Have I hit a limit?Thanks for any information,Bill

Guest lgvpilot1

I dont know about a limit but !!:-eek Perhaps thats it .I really hope you never have to re install:-hah I have to say Im impressed ,must have taken quite a while to do Mark

Thanks Mark! It took quite sometime to gradually reach this number after reinstalling fs9 on quite a high spec computer which I bought about a year ago. If I ever have to reinstall again :-eek , then that is when I might seriously consider upgrading to FSX (or hopefully FSXI by then!)as I don't think I could face it! Not sure if I will ever manage to visit a lot of this scenery again but it is nice to have it a few decent airports and scenery areas in most parts of the world and half the fun is adding it! I guess I'm just a scenery junkie!

Guest lgvpilot1

I have to admit for a long time I was the same .Every day i would see a new scenery and think oh! i will have that ,but after a while it seemed that my flightsim would have problem after problem and having so many scenerys at the time it became a nightmare to troubleshoot.Eventually i realised that I spent most of my time flying heavys , 747, concorde , the occasional scarebus and now by comparison to you I now only have 64 scenery layers and Im pretty sure one or two of them are disabled :-lol I guess i was a scenery junkie who was no good at installing sceneryI hope someone can answer your question,because i would love to know if you could add moreMark

>Hi!>Does anyone know what the maximum number of possible layers is>in the scenery library and what happens when you hit that>limit? I have reached 1094 and now when I add another scenery>either it or a previously added one seems to disappear. Have I>hit a limit?>Thanks for any information,>BillThe language.dll - which contains amongst other things, a set of error messages - has this interesting error message under Resource 3033:"SCENERY.CFG has too many sections in it. The maximum number of sections is about 1000. Click ABORT to Exit Flight Simulator."This at least implies that you can have about 1000 total scenery entries before that error message would be displayed! Apparently we don

Thanks DavidI haven't had that error message (yet!) but I have a very large hard disc. However it does appear that I may have hit that magic number! I have now started to group together various airport sceneries so that previous multiple entries in the scenery library will just appear as one (eg. I hsve put all 18 addon airports from Finland into one file combining their scenery and texture folders called "Finnish Airports" and then just added that to the scenery library). So far that seems to be working!Bill

>Thanks David>I haven't had that error message (yet!) but I have a very>large hard disc. However it does appear that I may have hit>that magic number! I have now started to group together>various airport sceneries so that previous multiple entries in>the scenery library will just appear as one (eg. I hsve put>all 18 addon airports from Finland into one file combining>their scenery and texture folders called "Finnish Airports">and then just added that to the scenery library). So far that>seems to be working!>BillThat is what I had to do in FS2002.I do know several simmers who have well over 1000 scenery entries so still am not convinced that error message in the language.dll ever comes into play.Anyway, I wish you good luck.

As a follow-on to the posts above, I think the scenery library probably has a limit of around 1090 entries but the scenery cfg file seems to allow more than that to be added, but they just don't always appear in the scenery library. It seems however that they are still installed as the scenery is there when you go to the airport!