Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

FS9 STILL rocks and why I'll never migrate to FSX...

I just spent two hours flying the PMDG 747-400 on my ancient DEll XPS Gen 4 rig for the first time in 2 months and must say it rocks and rocks, wow. Frames are good, fluidity is generally excellent, and my home cockpit is just a delight to operate even though I'm rusty on some things after this absence. But reading the threads on FSX and seeing folks who've spent thousands of fresh $$ on their rigs and still having issues with fps and fluidity, etc., I thank my lucky stars I stuck with FS9 and that it remains my sim of choice. I just don't see ever migrating from FS9 and ain't no way I am spending $5K or more for a rig for any subsequent sim that just disappoints in terms of performance, especially with heavy duty add-ons.I could use my rig with FS9 for the next 10 years and feel satisfied with FS9 and all my add-ons.JS

I couldn't agree more...:-beerchug I ain't changing FS9 unless there is something completely new such as a better realistic ATC with SID/STAR management or/and a better weather engine if you see what I mean.

I absolutely agree. I was just going to start a new thread on this very subject, but then I saw yours and figured I'd just post. It's been 2 years (?) since FSX came out, and I have NO INTENTION of migrating.Things I love about FS9 - what JS said about frame rates, fluidity etc. - Ultimate Traffic and GA traffic addons give gobs of AI a/c - Ultimate Terrain and FSG terrain mesh make the world awesome - The ATC "ain't no worse" than FSX and satisfies me (RC5 soon?) - VCs are plenty good with excellent framerates - ActiveSky for good WX - FSCommander for a nice moving map with AI a/c shown - AI Separation for an acceptable separation of aircraft on appr - All my addon aircraft; some of which are not even available yet for FSXWhy I won't go to FSX - what JS said about frame rates, fluidity etc. - buying FSUIPC - buying UT for FSX - buying ActiveSky X - buying all the addon aircraft - buying... ugghhh. I did the math one day and figured I'd end up spending several hundred dollars if I were to purchase FSXAt this point, I am so satisfied with FS9 that FS11 will have to have substantial new content for me to consder it. And if the ATC is not overhauled, then I will be very hesitant to purchase it.James

>At this point, I am so satisfied with FS9 that FS11 will have>to have substantial new content for me to consder it. And if>the ATC is not overhauled, then I will be very hesitant to>purchase it.>>JamesMy sentiments exactly! :)

Agreed. The only thing that can convince me to buy FS11 is better ATC, better AI management (separation for example) and better airport management (independent runway configuration for base and reciprocal ends, no need for Star method to get multiple runways to work, ability to have multple runway configs (for day and night for example) in one Afcad, etc... AI that actually looks at the width and weight limits of a taxiway, etc...).

Mike...

>Agreed. The only thing that can convince me to buy FS11 is>better ATC, better AI management (separation for example) and>better airport management (independent runway configuration>for base and reciprocal ends, no need for Star method to get>multiple runways to work, ability to have multple runway>configs (for day and night for example) in one Afcad, etc...>AI that actually looks at the width and weight limits of a>taxiway, etc...).I'd love to see sloping runways...Regards,Gerhard

Regards,

Gerhard

"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things" (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

After five years, FS2004 still dominates the freeware world, and is a must-have for heavy jet enthusiasts! :)I don't see the point in upgrading to FSX. FS11 will feature a radically different scenery engine, so there no point worrying about the FSX scenery. I'm willing to wait another couple of years for the next version ..... there's plenty of addons for FS9 .... old and NEW :)

I think I saw somewhere that MS now considers AI to be a "legacy" feature of FS. Is that true?? :-( IF so, that's a real deal killer for me, no matter whether FSX or FSeleven. I can't imagine flying without the AI. In fact, the main reason I initially refused to go to FSX was that there was no improvement in AI traffic flow. I can get by with ATC by using Radar Contact. But no AI... now those definitely are not "friendly skies". Mike

> I think I saw somewhere that MS now considers AI to be a "legacy" feature of FS. Is that true?? :-(I wouldn't be surprised. MS needs to take a look at this thread]. They need to wake up and take care of business themselves or they need to make FS11 in a way that would allow third party addons to take complete[/b control of ATC and AI. And they need to supply third party developers with the necessary access, information and tools to do so.

Mike...

Long as AI can still be imported I'm happy. As for fsx, just last night I was waiting in line for departure and said once again '...especially as a heavy iron flyer, I have what I need for now'I mean I've been at this since fs4, and fs9 plus addons fulfilled my greatest visual desires, a real sky, good ground, killer airports and killer aircraft.I'll catch the next one - maybe :)regards,Mark

Regards,

Mark

Guest ThrottleUp

I agree with all the points made on here. I admittedly got caught up in the hype and got FSX as soon as it came out. *Insert klaxon sound here*After loading it for the first time my first thought was that it should have been called "FS2004 MegaUpdate". Apart from the dense autogen (which is nice I must say) everything else looks like what came before - leopard-spot ground, carpet-like textures, repeating quilt patchwork ground textures...I was/am not happy.Back to FS9 in a hurry :)However I must say that now that time has passed the two sims kind of have their own uses:-> FS9 for heavy-jet high-altitude flying.->FSX for low altitude light-airplane & helicopter flying. The super-dense autogen and denser tree-cover make this type of flying a pleasure in the newer sim. Thats the way I use them. A340-600 craving?--->FS9Pilatus Porter resupply flight into dirt strip---->FSX:)

I will type here and I am sure no one will read this...but I totally agree. I was looking forward to some ATC upgrades with the latest sim (FSX). I was very happy with the upgrades to the ATC from FS2002. One major upgrade was that aircraft didn't call ready for departure before they reached the hold short line. A little more tweaking to the FSX ATC would have sold me. The line up and wait...taxi into position and hold...is one thing that sped up FS2004. FSX needed taxi into position and hold behind landing traffic. I had lots of downloads for FS2000...and I used FS2002 for VFR flight simming. Sound familiar?? Then FS2004 was enough to get me to upgrade. The upgrade to FSX wasn't enough to get people to take the plunge...Maybe the next version will be the next FS2004...I hope so...if not I will be content to fly with FS2004 for years to come!!!!!!!! Cheers,Scott

Guest essoblue

As Edetroit said "my sentiments exactly". It definitely does still rock and as we get more powerful hardware it's gonna rock evwn more. I said it when FSX came out and proved problematic: FS9 is going to be seen as a classic release of the MSFS series.

I couldn't agree more with the sentiments in this thread.I like to try all different kinds of flying in FS, but I am most partial to airliners, and as it stands at the moment FS9 is head and shoulders above FSX in this department......I have a large virtual hangar of many airliners, and I have hundreds of freeware and payware airport sceneries, as well as lots of AI. My 6 month old Alienware m15x laptop allows me to fly the likes of the Level D 767 or PMDG 747 into Aerosoft's Mega Airport Heathrow with real world weather and dozens of AI aircraft in the skies and on the ground... and it doesn't miss a beat...Try that with FSX ;)Unfortunately the only real improvement FSX gave us was higher res ground textures and better autogen (which are very nice). FSX did very little if anything to improve ATC, AI, weather and other features that I am very much interested in. Flying an airliner in the FSX environment is simply a step backward from what we currently have in FS9, and the performance penalty makes it even more so.Long live the king!

I have both FS9 and FSX. You'd think that the spec in my sig would offer pretty good FSX performance but it's moderate at best. My biggest bugbear is the impact of 3rd party airports. I have the Megascenery London Heathrow for both versions. In FSX the frame rates are barely into the teens with minimal Ai. In FS9 they never drop below 35 with 100% Ai. Deciding which version to use is a non-brainer.I grant that flying low and slow FSX looks a lot better than FS9 and the same applies with the clouds. But FS9's clouds are by no means poor.The whole point of a simulator is to simulate flight. Forgive me stating the bleeding obvious. :-lol But if the frame rates are so low as to prevent the illusion of flight then the product loses its appeal.With fps locked at 50 and hardly ever dropping below 30 flying FS9 is a delight. Having GE Pro, Ultimate Terrain, FS Global obviously changes how things look but the default FSX scenery just looks awful mountains excepted. So why should I then spend a load of money to make FSX look as good as my FS9?For ages many of us have had machines that struggle to run FS with total fluency. Those of us who are sticking with FS9 are now reaping the benefits. Those who have moved to FSX are still chasing the dream.And as for decent ATC. Look no further than Radar Contact. Microsoft will never release a default 747 with a FMC. The average punter would never understand it. Likewise investing more time into a more sophisticated ATC won't happen either. The supplied one works to a fashion. If you want a better one you have to buy a 3rd party one. That's always been the case and probably will for the life of FS.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather