Sign in to follow this  
JayDub

FS9... Help with High End Blurries Please.....

Good Day,New system... Intel E8500 Overclocked to 3.8MHz... Asus P5Q Deluxe MOBO... 8GB OCZ DDR II Reaper 800.... ATI 4870 overclocked in CCC to 780MHz GPU and 1090MHz Memory... Vista Premium 64 bit OS... ViewSonic 26 inch Widescreen at 1920x1200 ...Have waited a month after new computer build to post, as wanted to see if I could tweak my way out of the minor blurries on my own... No luck... Still see blurrie textures although much improved over last System... The most noticeable problem is on approach and looking forward with only the Minipanel... Seems with my current system I should be able to get crisp visuals without any blurries... Possibly I am asking too much of this system or any system... Any suggestions appreciated...As I posted previously... This machine will run the very demanding game

Hi Jay,two things I notice:- Mode=1920x1200x32 I don't believe that is supported by FS9, have you tried 1600 x 1200 here?- terrain extended radius & levels could be tweaked, also some other values in that section.I'll post my cfg when I get home from work (in a couple of hours), also a site with very good tweaks if I manage to find it.Don't worry, blurries CAN be fixed! Although it may take some tweaking, took me a long time too;-) Cheers,Sascha

Guest Ed Lin

>- Mode=1920x1200x32 I don't believe that is supported by FS9,>have you tried 1600 x 1200 here?This mode is very much supported provided your monitor supports it. I have a Dell Widescreen 2405 and 1920x1200 is the default resolution.The situation with the "blurries" is all relative to what you're flying in (bad weather with an overcast sky or clear) and tweaking can certainly reduce them dramatically, particularly with powerful-enough hardware. But complete elimination, especially if you're flying the heavies at high speed at low altitude, is a pipe dream until FS12.

Hi JayDub:Try changing the following entries in your .CFG file to the values I have showing below and let us know how you get along with them.MAX_UNLIMITED_VIS=40000 <- Reduced this to give a more realistic visibility level - Human eye can't see 128 miles in the distance nor would you be able to in any type of weather situation anyways - You prolly can't see the 40 miles as above but it will be much more realistic especially when you have weather set in the sim.TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.8TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=9.5 <--- these two lines should help with your blurriesTEXTURE_BLDG=3TEXTURE_GND=5 <--- These two lines should help keeping your buildings and ground clearer and more often as well.Try these few changes and let us know how you get along.Thanks.Paul.

Paul, and Others...Thanks, but no improvement with your settings. I kind of hate to say this but I am beginning to think that as far as monitors go. It is possible to go

Well, you never stop learning, guess I'll get a new monitor ASAP;-)

Here is a link with lots of excellent tweaks (VOZ - Australian site):http://vistaoz.org/smf/index.php?topic=55.0Here are my settings:[TERRAIN]TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=25.000000 //16-25TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000 //4x min dem areaTERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21 //lower to increase fps, terain will be lower qualityTERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1 TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.00000 //leave if ext_tex is onTERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4.50000 //def/2TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=12 //yr liking max=12These work very well for me, hope it helps.Sascha

I've been suffering the same issues for the past several months. I had nice textures that extended to the horizon, now I have very noticeable, exaggerated blurry textures out about 15 miles, then cartoonishly blurry textures about 30 miles out. I'm gearing up to try a full reformat of my system if a system clean-up and defrag doesn't turn it around. I imagine either SP3 - since the issues started for me sometime around when that snuck itself on my computer in the middle of the night - or just the weight of garbage and constant flow of files on my computer fragmented it so bad that it has trouble loading textures.----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satellite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004, MIDCON P-401"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

"Human eye can't see 128 miles in the distance nor would you be able to in any type of weather situation anyways"Any type of weather situation?Love to know where that stat comes from. Here in Arizona it is not uncommon to see Phoenix from 150+ miles out on commercial flights into Sky Harbor. I've also flown fairly often between Phoenix and SLC on business, and in the flight levels it is not uncommon to see Vegas, especially at night. On a personal level I've been flying both fixed wing and trikes under light sport and in most weather conditions here in Arizona, I can easily make out the San Francisco peaks in Flagstaff over 100NM distant, once I've climbed above six or seven thousand feet. Now it is true you can't make out fine ground detail at that distance, but reducing the max unlimited visibility to your suggested level can lead to rather unrealistic flying in many regions of the country, whether you're simulating GA or the heavy iron. Doesn't matter so much in flatland, but in the mountainous west it has an impact on the realism of what one sees.It's better to target the source of the blurries--some blurries are expected with MSFS and even adds to the realism for me, as unseen moisture plumes in the atmosphere can cause the same type of effect when flying IRL. Excessive blurries can be eliminated by a combination of making sure a system is pristine (no background apps) when flying, and using texture and performance friendly aircraft when one wishes scenery to look its best.Regards,John

Posting a screenshot, would help to determine which kinda blurries you got.Generally it is well known, that limiting FPS will definitely reduce blurries. According to your system I would limit the FPS to 30.Cheers, Wolfgang

Thanks everyone,No joy with any of the tweaks. Have tried every config tweak that I have saved or has been suggested for about the last 10 years. The

JayDub, one question. Do the Blurries disappear when you pause the sim?Wolfgang

Wolfgang,Blurries remain as sim is paused. Also a refresh of scenery does little if anything to improve the situation. Just seems a limitation of the software to me. I may just want to think that as spent $300 US on this ATI 4870. I would hate to think I bought the wrong card. My last three cards have all been ATI and I have been very happy with them, so I held out for the 4870. This card does produce FPS of over 300 at altitude in the sim at times with no noticable degrading of the graphics. Only the forward view on approach seems to be the problem.All outside pan views pop clear quickly for a great image.....Guess the solution to my problem is to just quit looking out the front................... I'll just keep my head down and fly the ILS....Thanks,JayDub