Sign in to follow this  
misgav

reinstalling fs9 headaches! help!

I had a major virus attack, just demolished my pc.Reformatted my hd.Reinstalled fs9.1 . Ran fine.Started installing my countless addons- what a pain in the butt retrieving license keys, registration codes etc.So I have the following in order of installation:Ultimate Terrain EuropeFS Genesis terrain mesh Europe.Real GermanyWorld airports 1 & 2Active Sky 6.5FS waterPMDG 737LevelD 767Flight1 ATR 72-500FS2crew for the above planesUltimate TrafficScandinavian Airports 1UK 2000 Gatwick extreme, and various freeware scenery addonsAfter each of these I tested fs9 and it ran smoothly.ThenGround EnvironmentRadar Contact 4.3Now After starting fs9 and hitting Fly now, CTD!tried rebooting, fs9 ran once ok into a flight but crashed.Here's the error reportC:DOCUME~1FamilyLOCALS~1TempWER64a4.dir00fs9.exe.mdmpC:DOCUME~1FamilyLOCALS~1TempWER64a4.dir00appcompat.txtAny ideas? I'm tearing my hair out! AAArghh!Eytan Ornstein

Well, that could be lots of different things. If you haven't already check for duplicate afcad files. Try scanafd from the library here, it is a really handy tool for finding duplicate afcad files."scanafd.zip" here in the library

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

If you were checking as you went and it ran ok, then logic would tell you it was one of the items towards the end maybe.I generally go very slowly on reinstalls, only putting back what I really think I need at the time. Try a big defrag maybe ?

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Guest lgvpilot1

As you were installing did you save any flights ?I've found that occaisonally I get problems from saved flights, even though I have not loaded that particular flight and for some reason deleting them does the trick .My be a shot in the dark but it cant do no harm MarkEdit to say after re reading your post the appcomat.txt is the reporting file used to let microsoft know the problemMark

In the past week my computer has been hit with Trojan viruses, one very clever one got past Norton, even though it detected it, and set up shop. That one was called Fakeavalert. I have never had that happen before as I always update virus protection, and only go to sites I trust. Wonder if we were unlucky, or if there are more attacks out there! I have had to re-install...once thank goodness. If you installed all of your add ons one after another without checking the sim, it would be hard to figure out which program is giving you the problems. As painful as it sounds, you may need to un-install them one at a time until you find the culprit. I hope you get it figured out. Nothing more agrivating than getting something like that on your computer!!!! :-madGood Luck,Scott

Well,After a long defrag(took forever, so maybe my hd was all clutterd), fs9 is running ok. Phew!I'll bear in mind all your bits of advice in case of renewed trouble.Eytan

>In the past week my computer has been hit with Trojan>viruses, one very clever one got past Norton, even though it>detected it, and set up shop. That one was called>Fakeavalert. I had the same attack, you know what, the first thing I thought was "How the heck am I going to reinstall my FS!". These worms can get past anti-virus programs. I called the local Microsoft support hotline. They directed me to an anti-spyware utility which solved the issue. I would have hated to reinstall everything with the custom tweaks I have done:-8God save FS!!EDIT: FYI, I got the worm from some dodgy flight sim site so be careful!! I can't remember which site though, something that google came up with searching for a scenery.

I was away on a two week vacation overseas with my wife. My 20 year old daughtr was downloading a movie from some 'legit' site when the virus hit. Upon my return home, I told her no more downloads from anywhere- get your own computer if you want to do that!The thing is, it's #### hard to reconstruct fs9 with all the addons, because most of them were downlads. Retrieving registration codes for software was a nightmare- some were based on email accounts 4 years old, now no longer active. Flight1 was a real challenge-order numbers, license keys, card numbers, email accounts, user names, passwords- I was going around in circles until I got what I wanted.One software I would have gladly purchased again-Ultimate Traffic; it still rocks, even though it's from 2004.Eytan

Eytan,I understand what you mean, that's way I try to get everthing in boxed versions if possible. I hope you were able to recover you old files.Happy landings

Pain in the backside for sure! But with the cost of storage today, there is almost no reason to have to do all this restoring. Another internal drive or a slightly more expensive external drive that you do regular backups of your whole system would end this problem forever. "Kinda like Monday morning quarterbacking tho. isn't it?"Bill :-bla

Guest ThrottleUp

Hello there :)A good idea would be to take an image of your hard drive. You can go the payware route (Norton Ghost, Acronis True Image)or use the excellent freeware out there like these:http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htmhttp://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/xxclone/xxclone.htmlhttp://www.paragon-software.com/home/db-ex...s/features.htmlThe advantage being you will never have to reinstall apps again if you image the entire drive. After a problem like what you encountered just restore the image and you are good to go. Store the image on external HD and DVD.I use DriveImageXML which lets you browse any part of the backed-up image as if it were an ordinary folder. Really handy.

???But I thought an aplication is more than a collection of images.You mean a backup don't you?For the Flight1 products, they have the flight wrapper system, with a license key which times out in a short period. Even my backups didn't help here.PSS, now bankrupt, ia a no go option. Backing up their software won't bring them to life again, as their files are scattered all over.Eytan

Guest belga1

Hello,Yes it's really called a "image" (or a clone if you like..) .. and it's a better word instead "backup" in the case of Acronis or Norton proggies.And BTW .. when you make a "full image" of your hard disk .. all is really saved .. and so .. when you restore the "image" ... all work again like before ! .. no problems of licenses .. etc...It's not a simple "backup" ... all the system is saved.Until you not change part of hardware between the "image" creation and his restoration .. all will work great.Cheers.

In the continuing sagae of the ctd's, I've had a few more.I pasted the tech details of the error messafe in google.One place suggested installing directx 9.c. I remember I had it in my previous install. So I installed it.Fs9 seems to be more stable.One technical question; The install asked me where I want the program to be placed- I pointed it to C:Program Files. About 50 files were placed there.There I found the exe file, clicked it and the install began and ended. But in C;Program files I still have about the 50 zipped files(using Winrar)with names like-june2008 d3dx9(or10)43 x 86. Should these be deleted after directx 9 has been successfully installed?Eytan

Guest belga1

Hello,Yes you can delete this bunch of files !Cheers.