Sign in to follow this  
palafox

Around the world in 80 flights. Anybody knows about thi...

Hi,Not sure this is the right place to post this, since this addon I have just heard of is for both FS9 and FSX. Rather intriguing to me, I can't find any review and/or comment about it, even though it was released almost a month ago. AFAIK it includes an aircraft model (a Lockheed L10E Electra, resembling that of Amelia Earhart in her last and fateful flight) and flight plans for a tour around around the world. But what else? No hints anywhere about this. If this is all includes, it hardly worths the ~30EUR/25GBP they ask for.JAMM

Guest KeithAllen
Hi, Not sure this is the right place to post this, since this addon I have just heard of is for both FS9 and FSX. Rather intriguing to me, I can't find any review and/or comment about it, even though it was released almost a month ago. AFAIK it includes an aircraft model (a Lockheed L10E Electra, resembling that of Amelia Earhart in her last and fateful flight) and flight plans for a tour around around the world. But what else? No hints anywhere about this. If this is all includes, it hardly worths the ~30EUR/25GBP they ask for. JAMM I had this add on recently, a nightmare! In fsx i have the following problems; Electra has a tendency to nose dive into the runway on attempted take off, autopilot controls work in reverse, mixture and propeller pitch controls don't do anything and it has a habit of loading a flight plan and placing the plane at a totally different airfield within the add on. I can't get more than 100+ ias. The alleged 2 hour flights take forever. At least in fs9 the Electra will get airbourne but the other issues exist. Have contacted First Class Simulations who told me the trim was set wrong and the plane was difficult to fly- that's if you can get it airbourne!! If all else fails look at the manual, there isn't one!!! Any body out there any comments. :(

Guest Locksta

The addon includes improved airport textures for most of the airports.. from what I have seen. So its not just the Aircraft and the plans.Pretty interesting addon if you ask me, but deffinately if you fly it with something else but the Lockheed. I know my friend is doing it in the Aerosoft Cheyenne and he is loving it so far, trying to fly some of it VFR is really fun too.

Thank you every body for the info. Sad to know that the Electra in the addon is plagued with so many nasty bugs. Anyway may be I will give it a try soon. Touring around the world mostly VFR, preferably on a vintage plane, is a challenge in my to-do list.

Guest tatest
Thank you every body for the info. Sad to know that the Electra in the addon is plagued with so many nasty bugs. Anyway may be I will give it a try soon. Touring around the world mostly VFR, preferably on a vintage plane, is a challenge in my to-do list.
You don't need a commercial package for this, it is well taken care of by the fan community.There is a package for FS9 on the usual download sites, probably including this one, that includes the excellent FS Designs Berlin model of the Electra, modified like AE's along with navigation tools and fairly decent documentation of the flight. It would be up to you to plan each leg of the flight. Look for a file name like: L10EAE or search on her name.AE's heirs published her flight diary/log, as far as it went. The last dispatch to her husband was from Lae, New Guinea. This book has information about her other flights as well, starting with her story of how she developed an interest in aviation, and her plans to teach at Purdue. If you work from the book, you need to do some research on modern names for some of the places, and appropriate airports in the simulator. Although there are now many more places to land, they are not necessarily the same ones. For my first RTW effort I am following AE's route, with some modifications (including longer flight legs) in WW2 era transports. Just now at 11000'crossing the Arabian Peninsula on my way from Khartoum to Karachi.

You don't need a commercial package for this, it is well taken care of by the fan community.There is a package for FS9 on the usual download sites, probably including this one, that includes the excellent FS Designs Berlin model of the Electra, modified like AE's along with navigation tools and fairly decent documentation of the flight. It would be up to you to plan each leg of the flight. Look for a file name like: L10EAE or search on her name.
Think I've got it already but I'll check. Some months ago, I downloaded a package including a modified model of the L10E, but ran into some issue I cannot remember now. And as you say, it -or maybe another package- came with a rather complete documentation about AE's tour.
AE's heirs published her flight diary/log, as far as it went. The last dispatch to her husband was from Lae, New Guinea. This book has information about her other flights as well, starting with her story of how she developed an interest in aviation, and her plans to teach at Purdue. If you work from the book, you need to do some research on modern names for some of the places, and appropriate airports in the simulator. Although there are now many more places to land, they are not necessarily the same ones. For my first RTW effort I am following AE's route, with some modifications (including longer flight legs) in WW2 era transports. Just now at 11000'crossing the Arabian Peninsula on my way from Khartoum to Karachi.
You mean her "Last Flight", I guess. I have read it recently in a Spanish version. Sad it ends that way, but that's history. I'm not sure what aircraft to use (one from the '20s-'30s) nor whether I'll follow her route, though it can be a good starting point. Planning is part of the fun.