Sign in to follow this  
acmech

which version of windows to use with fs2004?

Hello,:) Does anybody know which version of windows will allow you to get the most out of fs2004?My current cpu is the intel dou core e6850.What should the page file be set at if you have 2gigs of memory ?Finally, I have the new ATI 4870x2 2gig video card. I noticed that the default catalyst control center, will not :( produce a clear image as per say the program used for the nvidia cards called nhancer does. Is there another option for the ATI based cards to set up 3d?If anyone can answer 1,2 or all questions it would be very helpful and thanks in advance. :-wave

Vista32, far better memory management than XP (also impacts FS9 memory management, makes it use less memory and unloads unused memory, less chance that usage grows over 2GB and gives you out of memory error).Swap, the best IMO, is automatical.As far as I know, there is nothing similar for ATI cards. One of reasons why I changed from years of ATI usage to Nvidia. Never been happier with picture quality (Nhancer 8xS setting).

>Thanks for the response .I was starting to think nobody,>knew, or even thought about the topic.......Thanks>again:-beerchug>>I did my own research and found out xp is in deed faster check>this out ---->>http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/xp-vs-vista,1531-4.htmlAchmech, first of all, this post was done January 2007! Until today, there is a service pack, and many improvements.Secondly, the memory management I will gladly exchange for couple of FPS. I get great performance in all my aircraft under Vista.Besides, I couldn't really measure any difference in FPS in comparison XP to Vista (and yes, it was the same flight with the same settings and scenery).Do as you wish, I did real test in comparison. XP was *not* faster :)

Just want to add your perfomance will suffer with that card if you are using a 32 bit operating system. The 4870 is a 'Very' good card but you are better off with the 512mbAlso it is generaly excepted ATI has better visual quality then NVIDIA if set up right.I have AA 24X Edge detect AF 16X Mip map Quality + Adaptive AA qualitydrivers 8.10 This should be in the hardware forum..Rob

Rob Prest

Guest cuizinier

hello, My advice is not to choose your OS having FS2004 in mind because it does not change anything. Julien

A 2 GB video card with any 32-bit OS is serious bad juju. The hardware mapping will take up half the available address space just for the vid card, leaving Windows and your apps to share less than 2GB of address space. You'll be in OOM he11.I'd recommend Vista 64 or XP 64 if you can find a copy.RegardsBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Computer hardware and Software has left me in the Dust. When I was a Young Man, I could stay Current with Byte magazine(later Maximum PC). Now I find myself dazed and confused by the too rapidly changing CPU and GPU advancements. Still when I built this Computer I purchased Vista to get a clean install on a new Hard Drive. I'm sure you've heard most of the Horror Stories about Vista! Well! I experienced them all. In retrospect, I should have tried and attempted to use one Program at a Time for a Test Run. But in my Zeal to get up and running with a new Graphics Card, Fast new Duo Intel Processor and blazing fast memory, I just dumped everything from the old Drive to the New. After Three Weeks battling with Vista's security and protocols, I had to throw in the Towel I reverted back to XP. As a parting shot (maybe it was My fault) Microsoft reformatted the Drive, wiping all Programs from the Disk before reinstalling XP. Yes Vista has a new Service Pack and is supposedly updated and not so Cumbersome to use, but I'm Gun Shy. Bill :-erks :-erks :-roll

Hi acmech.If you are buying a new OS, get Vista 64 Premium at least SP1, if you do Not need Fax, if you do you need to go step above, Business etc. If you have XP, SP1 or above stay with it.If you get the 64 be prepared for the need of 6 GB of RAM, to get a good efficient running system, and a lot of headaches, many have been resolved by now. The only reason you may want to get Vista is because of future compatibility, MS is pushing it down out throats. Vista is less efficient, fewer drivers and bulkier. If you can get an XP64, for less money, that is the most efficient way to go, if you want to go beyond 4GB of Memory mapping.ATI has the best Graphics quality, if it's set up right, set it up in th ATI CC with around 4-8 AA, AF and disable it in FS. Make sure you get the right Drivers and set it up properly. Once you get it right, keep the driver you have, for at least 6 months, updating every week will only start the cycle all over. The problem with ATI, and MSFS, is the Clouds, but they can also be set up to look / behave very good. TV

I'm about to RMA my XP 64 OEM disk I got from TigerDirect due to lack of critical (for me) drivers and less than steller software compatibility with a lot of my add on payware scenery.Just my experience after two weeks of trying.

Guest OneTinSoldier

>Computer hardware and Software has left me in the Dust. When>I was a Young Man, I could stay Current with Byte>magazine(later Maximum PC). >>Bill :-erks :-erks :-roll Hi Bill,I just wanted to say I think you are mistaken. I believe there was a Byte magazine, but Maximum PC was not formerly Byte Magazine, it was formerly Boot Magazine. Easy enough mistake to make.Cheers

Guest cuizinier

>A 2 GB video card with any 32-bit OS is serious bad juju. >The hardware mapping will take up half the available address>space just for the vid card, leaving Windows and your apps to>share less than 2GB of address space. You'll be in OOM he11.>>I'd recommend Vista 64 or XP 64 if you can find a copy.>>Regards>>Bob Scott>Colonel, USAF (ret)>ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V>Colorado Springs, CO>Hello,does 64 bit systems (vista or XP) have a larger than 4 Go Virtual Address Space ?Jul

>Hello,>>does 64 bit systems (vista or XP) have a larger than 4 Go>Virtual Address Space ?>>>JulYes, MUCH larger.That said, 32-bit programs (like FS) are still limited to the 4GB address space. But the OS, drivers, and especially hardware address mapping for things like Video RAM can all be placed outside the all-important lower 4GB, leaving much more room for user programs.RegardsBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case