Sign in to follow this  
A36 Apache

SectionF8 F86 converted for FSX

According to the manual for the F-86 'No file related to its content may be used in any venture for profit, and none may be removed, added to, or modified in any way except for personal use.' After reading that I had to modify the plane to work in FSX. It wasn't hard to get it installed, but the canopy reflections were not transparent. So, I modified them and the gun sight, which was not quite as straight forward as I thought it would be. First off the canopy uses more then a few textures and the gun sight has something going on I haven't quite figured out yet.I made a video of a landing into KSRQ (Sarasota-Bradenton) and posted it on Veho.com to show the problem with the gun sight. The carets I used are just a test texture (which works) but the original crosshair still shows in black. I can't figure out where that texture comes from, so if anyone can point it out I would appreciate it (beats waiting for the official release).http://www.veoh.com/videos/v16390888brW74e3F(Video still validating at the time of this posting)This is a great freeware package and I look forward to more! The Sabre doesn't quite have the range for long sorties, but it's more then adequate for interstate VFR flights!

Nice video and nice approach and landing, Apache ! :-) It is the meaning though that you keep your nose wheel up until the aircraft will settle on its nosewheel itself at around 80/75 knots. :( We are working on an 'interim FSX fix' for the Sabre model, will deal with the black crosshair too. Btw, the textures for it are called 'f86jv_rect.bmp' and f86jv_rect.part.bmp'. Cheers,Jan

Jan

Thank you Jan. I should have the crosshair fixed tonight then. I filmed three landings and during all three the nose drops hard on its own. It could be my fault (I need to review the films for applied brakes), but I usually do try to hold the nose up just like the F-16. While I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong I will get the hang of it! :DI did manage to fix the 'Don't Sink' warning.Is it possible, do you think, to create a 'G' effected gunsight? If so it wouldn't be too hard to model the radar and gunsight together. :)

Must say i have about zero experience with our Sabre model in FSX. No idea if, and how much, the flightmodel will have to be adapted to get the same performance as it has in FS9. What is imperative though is that ALL realism sliders are set to max. Otherwise you will not get the same flight characteristics that Rob Young has build into the Sabre's flightmodel. A 'G' effected gunsight ?.. Mmmm.... i bet Hansi would love to give that a go.:9 We might well go for that in a near future update ! Cheers,Jan

Jan

I met up with your warning tonight. I had just installed FSGenesis on top of FScene4X and ActiveSkyX/X Graphics and made one of my standard runs from A to B but this time I was marveling at the terrain and not watching my altitude so I was more-or-less forced to do a forward slip with the Sabre into Bradenton. Next time I will go around.I honestly never knew the sim modeled blowouts!BlownTire.jpg

Is there a quick fix for the greyed out cockpit glass in the virtual cockpit view in FSX. Thanks.

I used DXTBmp (available in several locations on the net) to save the appropriate bitmap textures to '24 bitmap image' format and then opened the same texture in photoshop and made the image brighter with less contrast. Then I loaded the same image into DXTBmp again and set the alpha (a good place to start is importing the alpha from the image 'f86jv_glasopy_t.bmp' but I ended up creating my own after experimentation) and saved the image as an 'extended bitmap' in DXT3 format. The image 'f86jv_glasopy_t.bmp' is a great place to start and it works great on the left and right windscreen 'eyelids,' but really doesn't work real good for the canopy.This same technique is also great for the other canopy sections (I started with 'f86jv_glas_vcanopy.bmp') but to make them 'seam' properly where they meet I had to paste them together and at the seams I did a combination of things like blur and blend and airbrush so the line between them was not obvious. After getting something I liked I then had to cut them back apart.You can use a grayscale version of the same image for alpha to save time, but the result won't be as good as taking your time to do something more appealing.Okay, not perfect directions, but if none of this makes any sense to you then you shouldn't try it maybe?

Thanks for the quick reply and advice. I will just fly this beautiful bird in FS9 for now and wait on the SectionF8 interim port to come out.

After reading your post on this issue over at the SectionF8 FSX forum I decided to take a shot at fixing the canopy glass. It was very easy to acomplish using dxtBMP and MS Paint worked just fine to recolor the Alpha channel. Thanks for the info.