Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Procedures: I always forget SOMETHING!

After a decade of simming I find I am still prone to forgetting one critical item on every flight. I might forget to set something on the MCP/autopilot panel. Or I don't set the temperature correctly. Or I forget to bring up the gear after liftoff (a popular one!). Or I don't set the fuel correctly. Or I forget to set the airbrakes for deployment on touchdown.The old addage, "There's always SOMETHING!" applies very much to me in my sim world. Sigh! is there no cure for this? (I even forget to look at my checklists from time to time!)How about you?!JS

>>After a decade of simming I find I am still prone to>forgetting one critical item on every flight. I might forget>to set something on the MCP/autopilot panel. Or I don't set>the temperature correctly. Or I forget to bring up the gear>after liftoff (a popular one!). Or I don't set the fuel>correctly. Or I forget to set the airbrakes for deployment on>touchdown.>>The old addage, "There's always SOMETHING!" applies very much>to me in my sim world. Sigh! is there no cure for this? (I>even forget to look at my checklists from time to time!)>>How about you?!>>JSHelloI am still prone to this as well although I am getting better.As to failing to retract gear flaps etc if you are okay with installing third party gauges into your panels then amongst others that I use there are two that auto retract flaps and gear after takeoff(and this isn't cheating either as I believe these procedures would be handled by the (is it first officer?not sure)but him or her anyway:-) .PS copious amounts of beer don't always help with these matters either.cheers Andy :-beerchug

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

It's called "old-timers" disease. Welcome to the club.No checklist will ever cause you to remember to remember check the checklist!

Andy and David have it well sorted (how I love the beer!) but if you want to get really serious "FDC Live Cockpit" will help. Me, I just love seeing how stupid I can be!!!Bill

I constantly forget to turn my taxi lights on at daytime. It also depends on how much I'm used to the add-on I'm flying. If it's a complex one then there is a lot to do, I go with the checklists, if it's a simpler model then I go pretty much by mind.

I hear you JS :-lol By some miracle I flew the 744 yesterday for the first time in months without forgetting anything obvious, but usually I miss something. Checklists? too lazy sometimes or miss an item anyway (seatbelt sign is my culprit - hate that! :-mad )Truth is you touch on an irony that's niggled me for years. It's unrealistic for one person to fly one of these ultra realistic airliners, and don't get me started on failures. As others have indicated, it's probably better for some third party 'copilot' to be used.regards,Mark

Regards,

Mark

The one that always gets me... The Clock!!! I always forget to start the clock entering the runway, look down two hours later and realize I have no idea how long I have actually been flying!!!A little tip... A small whiteboard next to your sim station. This lets me jot things down, erase them quickly and most of all, LEAVE MYSELF REMINDERS LOL!!!Primary RigLiquid CooledIntel C2D E8500 468X9.5 @ 4.45Asus Maximus Extreme4 gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 @1400Dual OC'd XFX 8800GTX @ 2 gigsDual VelociRaptor 10k 3gb/s RAID-0Dual WD Caviar 500 gig Raid-0Single 150Gig SATA2 Swap Drive28 inch LCD 16XAA/16XAFDual 19 inch LCD'sPCPower and Cooling 1k Quad SLISaitek Yoke, Saitek Rudders, Go-Flight Flap,Gear and Trim Controlhttp://home.comcast.net/~psolk/3monitorsa.htmlBackup RigsIntel E6600 @ 3.2Asus P5N32E-SLI Plus3 Gigs Kingston Hyper XXFX 8600 GTAMD 4000 San Diego @ 2.72 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2XFX 7900 GTX Raid-0psolk.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

A neat trick I happily use also in the real world: mnemonics!When lining up with the runway, think "T I T S". No, not what you're thinking anyway! ;-)TIME (Note T/O time, start the clock)INSTRUMENTS (Final check... Rwy Hdg? Altimeter? A/THR armed if desired?)TRANSPONDER (to Mode C or TA/RA)STROBES and Landing LtsIn a prop, when entering the traffic pattern, think "G U M P S"GAS (Fuel Selector, usually BOTH)UNDERCARRIAGE (Gear Dn)MIXTURE (Red Lever Full Fwd)PROP (Blue Lever Full Fwd)SAFETY (Landing Lts On, Seatbelts secure)In a jet, on final, when 500' above, briefly run through those items - no mnemonic, but still there should be some rhythm to it :)STABILIZED (Speed, descent rate, engines spooled up)RUNWAY CLEAR (No other traffic entering/exiting)CLEARANCE RECEIVED (Did you actually hear "CLEARED TO LAND"? If in doubt, last chance to verify now!)GEAR (Check those green lights)FLAPS (As above)And there are dozens more out there. One thing to remember, though: these are not designed to replace the good old checklists, but to enhance them!CheersHolger

I ALWAYS forget the clock--always. And I always want to time those 14 hour flights too!JS

Allow me to warmly recommend FS2Crew as a more in advanced alternative!www.fs2crew.com

There's also the old addage that is something to the effect of, "If your flight is going perfectly, you're blissfully ignoring the problem at hand."----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satellite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004, MIDCON P-401"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach