Sign in to follow this  
Rocky

AI Traffic Sound

Gary: I had to download the demo file from here at AVSIM and once I paid for my key and received it in my email, I then registered the program as per the instructions. It's confusing -- the link on the website doesn't work.

>>Can you clarify what is actually happening in your case?>Kyle: While on the ground Radar Contact behaves exactly as you described - make and tail numbers rather than the actual call sign and flight number. I minimize that annoyance by deselecting the AI Chatter option in Radar Contact very first thing (being sure that the check box in "Interact with AI" remains selected) and leave the sound turned up on the Microsoft ATC, whereas before I would turn in down to 0 when using Radar Contact. I am now flying the entire flight with this set up and find it quite enjoyable -- no more does my RC ATC controller's voice answer itself from an aircraft 75 miles away! :-) Alternatively, once in the air I can go to the Miscellaneous" tab in FSUIPC and change the drop down in the lower right corner from the "flight +" setting FSHotSFX sets it at back to Radar Contact's "Flight" selection (the first one in the list), re-select the "AI Chatter" option in RC, and everything with is then fine. Upon landing, I turn off, close Radar Contact -- give it 5 or 10 seconds to disconnect from my WideClient machine, and then change FSUIPC back to "Flight +" and I've got my (VERY cool) Doppler enhanced AI takeoff, landing and taxi sounds!I have noticed when using either of these methods that occasionally Radar Contact freezes the AI around me when I queue up at the runway for takeoff and no one takes off so we all just sit there, probably for hours if I let it. But I can overcome this by alternately selecting or deselecting the "Interact with AI" option in RC, which releases the "freeze" mechanism RC puts on AI when near the user approaches the airport. I have not yet had time to investigate this behavior further, nor post at the Radar Contact forum why this would happen on take off with FSHotSFX running -- I don't know why one would affect the other.I'm really looking forward to downloading some of the enhanced sound files here and getting into some real tweaking with this program. So far my migration to XP 64 bit has been taking up all my time.

Just wanted to say that I had forgotten that I even had this program till I read this thread and reinstalled it on my PC. The old reg key didnt work and so I sent a request for a new key. I had a response and new key within an hour!It's a neat program, although Im still tweaking a few things.

Anybody know if you can run this on a WideClient machine?

As far as I understand the way FSHotSFX works, it should work on a separate machine using WideFS, but in that case the sound would be generated on this machine. From my point of view, this is something I wouldn't like because my speakers are connected on my main machine, and I want to have the environment sounds on the same speakers as my engine sounds.Eric

Thanks, Eric! I'll give this a try. I've got the speakers from all 3 of my machines running through the speakers on my main box, so that won't be a problem. (I wired them all this way when I got Radar Contact, so I could run that process intensive program via WideFS.)

Doesn't work too well, at least on initial try out. It doesn't "see the AI properly, but the WideClient I tried it on has a basic install of FS9 on it, so FSHotSFX may be reading the AI from there. I think I'm going to keep it on the FS9 machine for now.BTW, I had to get my product key reset to install on another computer and had to email the developer. He reset the key and notified me within an hour. Good news.Sadly, he also confirmed once again that he has no intention to resurrect any further development. Bad news.

>Gary: I had to download the demo file from here at AVSIM and>once I paid for my key and received it in my email, I then>registered the program as per the instructions. It's>confusing -- the link on the website doesn't work.>Well, i finally installed this program last evening, positioned myself by what appeared to be KORD's active runway and waited...All i can say is, WOW- I really wasn't prepared for the audible delights that my ears were treated to !!! The spectrum of sounds going on during take off and landings was just beyond my true expectations.I really can't believe this program has some how "dropped under the radar" regarding most popular add-ons as it really does add significantly to the whole flying experience.I shall be purchasing it this evening, however, regarding the above comment, can anyone (Chuck) clarify that i still purchase it via the FSHotSFX web-site link and then automatically receive my registration key as i'm slightly confused as to which link is being referred to as "not working" ?Also, i notice that there's a lot of alternative sounds available in the Avsim library, has anyone tried any of these ?Many ThanksGary

Gary: The link to purchase on the website works just fine (of course :-)) but the link to download on the FSHotSFX website does not. I think you can purchase from inside the program too. Look in the Help menu -- how to buy the registered version one of the first topic covered (again, of course!).Once I purchased the program, I think it took about an hour or two to get my registration key -- no longer than that.I think this program dropped under the radar because of the goofy issues it has with Radar Contact, a very popular addon in itself, the fact that it may have stressed some computer systems 2 or 3 years ago, and then the subsequent "semi"vanishing act by the developer. I browsed through the forums briefly and judging by how much work went in to servicing posters and their issues, I'm not really surprised he walked away. It looks like it took a lot of effort and I'm sure this program never made him independently wealthy. (I'm really kind of surprised jd over at the Radar Contact forum has lasted as long as he has.)I haven't had time to try the alternative sounds yet, but I have every intention to very soon -- I've been busy with an FS9 migration to Windows XP 64 bit. :-boom Enjoy, man! I'm sure glad I took the plunge.

By some miracle, I got RC4 and FSHotSFX to work together. Thanks to you posters on this thread, I downloaded FSHotFSX and tried the demo at KORD by sitting by the active runway and very much liked what I heard. So the second go-round, I loaded up my VA's 737-700 and a flight plan into RC4. Others are right when they say RC calls your plane correctly, but AI planes are called phonetically by their type which sounded weird. While in lineup to take off at runway 32L, I switched FSUIPC's Miscellaneous TCASid setting from FSHotSFX's 'Type+' to 'Flight' which RC needs. Lo' and behold and after a couple of minutes, RC starting calling AI planes by their callsign and flight number and I still had the new sounds: thrusters and reversers!A couple of things I did notice (at least I think I did!):1) Sometimes RC would not tell the AI planes to line up on the runway nor give them the actual clearance to take off. Or else the clearance would be given a couple of seconds after the plane would start moving down the runway. The sound of the plane's jets spooling up was clearly heard.2) The screech of the touchdown seemed a second too early when AI planes were landing. The reserver sound seemed correct.3) Once RC went back to calling AI planes again by the type. I checked FSUIPC and again changed the TCASid setting back to 'Type+', clicked Okay, went back into FSUIPC and changed it again to 'Flight' and everything worked well again.4) FSHotSFX changes the aircraft.cfg file of every single aircraft I have so it uses the new sounds. But it makes a backup copy of the file before modifying it. So for the aircraft that I fly, I just re-named FSHotSFX's backup file to aircraft.cfg and had no problem.Total time listening and testing at KORD was about 30 minutes.I will be purchasing FSHotSFX right after I finish typing this.Many thanks to those in this thread who supplied such good information about this product.

Chuck -This entire thread has roused my curiosity so I finally found the demo - at Flightsim. The DL page at the FSHot site kept asking for a name and password so I could not get it to work there.Anyway I notice the readme says it will be installing an older version of FSUIPC than what I have. I am not going to do that of course and wondered how you got around that issue.Obviously I can make a backup of the version I have but thought I would ask what you did first.Any experience you can share will be appreciated.

I am quite happy that I raised interest on this old software that many people (including myself) didn't know about. The authors might be happy that it sells again, and they deserve it :)Eric

>>Obviously I can make a backup of the version I have but thought I would ask what you did first.That's all I did, Opa. I copied my FSUIPC.dll, and FSUIPC.ini files to the desktop and did a standard install of FSHotSFX. As I recall, the 3.82 version of FSUIPC remained intact even though the directions say it will overwrite (I think Pete has coded the latest versions to guard against overwrites by older versions somehow, but I'm not sure.)Other than that issue with the website continually asking for a user name and password (which is the issue I first contacted the developer about) it was a very simple and complete install.Once you get it going, don't forget to tweak the ADVAIBlast.ini for extra dramatic effects. I bumped all of my sounds by at least 10 points as I'm a bit hard of hearing. Mine is attached FYI.

>I am quite happy that I raised interest on this old software>that many people (including myself) didn't know about. The>authors might be happy that it sells again, and they deserve>it :)>>Eric>Yes, thank you Eric. I had read about it before but everybody always bit**ed about the Radar Contact conflict, which is minor IMO, and that support just vanished, so I never thought about shelling out any money. Thanks to this thread (AND the fact that I'm now independently wealthy and living with Paris Hilton so I could gamble on the 20 bucks) I'm a much happier camper.I just wish there was a different registration system - because of my loaborious migration to XP 64 I've had to move it around a couple of times this week, which required a new email each time.

Is any one using FSHotSFX on a WideClient machine that also has its own install of FS9 on it? Mine doesn't seem to work -- I think it's picking up the AI refresh from the A/C on the wideclient, but I can't tell.I'd surely love to run this on my second or 3rd box with some success.