Sign in to follow this  
Smokin256

Hillsboro KHIO parking in FZ02 Portland

Hi all! Just getting back into simming after a long absence. I have always had a problem with the ground controller at KHIO not giving any directions to parking. And a search at the FZ02 forum turn up one person who mentioned having a problem with directions to the active. Has anyone experienced this problem and found a solution? I presume it's a problem with the afcad for the airport. But I haven't gotten into messing with them at all. Thanks for your time!Cheers...............Smokin256

>Hi all! Just getting back into simming after a long absence.>>I have always had a problem with the ground controller at KHIO>not giving any directions to parking. And a search at the FZ02>forum turn up one person who mentioned having a problem with>directions to the active. Has anyone experienced this problem>and found a solution? I presume it's a problem with the afcad>for the airport. But I haven't gotten into messing with them>at all. Thanks for your time!>>Cheers...............Smokin256The usual reason you do not get directions to parking or elsewhere is due to the taxiways etc. not be identified properly in the afcad for the airport. ATC cannot direct you if the taxiways are not listed - i.e. as far as ATC knows, they do not exist.This can usually be easily corrected using the free AFCAD program by Lee Swordy.http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...afcd&DLID=46238Complete instructions for using the program are found the excellent Help file which is a part of the program.Hope this helps.

I have the Portland package which includes Hillsboro and just took a close look at the Afcad they provide for KHIO.The taxiways are "numbered" and appear to be correctly connected.However there are a great many "unconnected" parking spaces - the Afcad program has a "fault finder" which shows all of the potential errors if you wish to view them yourself.It appears the afcad was never fully completed and properly tested so I am not surprised you have experienced some problems.But I did not see anything which could not be corrected - with a little patience and effort.

Thanks Opa! I'll look into it. Btw, sorry for the delay getting back. Been out of town.Cheers...............Smokin256

Will do. I got AFCAD 2 set up last night and spent a little while messing around in there. It looks like it should be fairly easy. I got all the parking spaces connected and the directions to taxi to the active worked ok afterwards. I haven't had a chance to see how the directions to parking work but I think they'll be fine. I think I need to fine tune the links because it sent me on somewhat of a roundabout route. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can and can't do with it. I see that in the FZ02 scenery they have taxiway A1 for runway 12 as just plain pavement with no centerlines or hold short lines or anything. Looking at KHIO in Google earth I see it's not that way. I would like to add the centerlines and hold short lines if I can. But being photo scenery more or less I don't know if I can. Failing that I'd like to see if I can get ATC to direct me to take off from A2 instead. I'll let you know what I find.Cheers............Smokin256

Just a little info which may be helpful:There are basically two ways to create taxiways etc. for use in FS2004 - one is by having the Afcad program "draw" them (along with any associated hold short lines, taxiway lines etc.) and the other is to create (draw) them with a scenery design program.You will most likely find the taxiways etc. at Hillsboro were done with a scenery design program and if there are no hold short markings or other lines as you want to see, they were not originally added.If that is indeed the case, no changes you make to the Afcad (adding lines and hold short markings etc.) will be seen as the afcad in this case is "hidden" by the scenery itself. It is only being used to lead traffic where it should go. i.e. none of the design elements in the afcad will be seen as they are masked by the scenery itself.Hope that very "non-technical" explanation is helpful.

Thanks Opa! Yes that was very helpful. I kind of suspected I would find that was the case. And when I tried it, indeed they did not show up. Fortunately I was able to get the atc to use Taxiway A2 instead so it's all good. I think I've got the routes through the taxiways set up pretty well now. For whatever reason the parking space numbering is very random. It makes the parking list in game a total mess. Next I need to see if I can figure out the pattern and make some sense of it.Thanks again.........Todd

In many cases where an afcad file resides in the same scenery folder with other airport elements, I have found it beneficial to place it in a special afcad2sscenery folder I created that is at the highest priority (position 1) in the scenery library. This avoids any scenery exclusions from defeating it.

Ronzie wrote;

"In many cases where an afcad file resides in the same scenery folder with other airport elements, I have found it beneficial to place it in a special afcad2sscenery folder I created that is at the highest priority (position 1) in the scenery library. This avoids any scenery exclusions from defeating it."
Thanks for the tip. Hmmmmm, I wonder if I created an afcad that only contained the nodes with center, side and hold short lines for taxiway A1 and put it in a separate folder as you suggest if they would then show up above the photo scenery? I'll have to try it out.Well here is my first effort at an afcad for Hillsboro; http://home1.gte.net/res0rrxk/Files/AF2_KHIO.zipHeres a direct link since the attachment file upload seems a bit flaky. Let me know if it works ok for you. And also let me know if you have any other suggestions.Cheers................Smokin256

Be aware that always coded in AFCAD221 add-on files is the statement to delete all (previous) runways, taxiways, etc. If you run your own version at a higher priority you could delete scenery elements.When an AFCAD is created from default scenery or add-on scenery it by default includes all of the relative scenery elements such as the runways, taxiways, etc. If you delete some of those from the AFCAD and then save it to run at higher priority you will lose some of the original scenery elements.Be aware there can only be two files on your system with runways, taxiways, and gates, etc. The first file or layer is the stock layer (default). You can then have another layer with the same element types. There are some scenery files that will appear as an AFCAD layer but on viewing them you will not see much except perhaps the airport center. They do not contain runways, taxiways, nor gates. This type is not counted toward the restriction of default plus one add-on layer.