Sign in to follow this  
Guest cw1011

Off topic - what is a nice up to date combat sim?

Guest gasebah

While I was into combat flying for a very long time and now only do the civilian stuff, I still feel trigger happy sometimes. What would be good up to date combat sim to buy? How is CFS or what is good? I would prefer something that puts realism over combat stress.Alex

Guest danowat

Hi Alex,I have IL2, CFS2 and 3, and IL2-FB just came through my door this morning.I would say go for IL2, you can find it heavily discounted now and it is still brilliant a year on.Dan.

Guest gasebah

Thx Dan.Kevin,I have Falcon 4.0 on the shelf, yet it is not installed on my puter. What the hell is the Super Pak 3 upgrade?? I#d be very interested to try that out. Where can I get it? Freeware?Alex

[http://f4ut.frugalsworld.com/]Though Falcon 4.0 was discontinued by Microprose, development of Falcon continue to the present day by third party groups. The SuperPaks combined the efforts of Realism Patch Group which concentrated on improving the AI and campaign, and the efforts of eFalcon which concentrated on improving the F-16 modelling and systems. The result was the combined SuperPak. It is completely freeware.On your shelf, sits the most realistic modern jet combatsim available....Be warned, if you've been out of it for a while, the learning curve is steep, have patience, read the SP3 manual thoroughly, along with the prior Realism Patch 5.0 manual and go through the training missions.

Guest BMarcoux

Anyone know where you can still buy a copy of Falcon 4.0 ? Thanks

Guest gasebah

Thx Kev,I just started downloading.Alex

Guest ront1

Falcon 4.0 is a few years old, but as other have said here, it is still the best. It is a great sim of the F16. You will need the fuul game, update 1.08 and the SuperPak 3 upgrade. You will really enjoy this sim then. Also this is a study sim. There is a lot to learn, but it is worth it.Ron

Guest cw1011

If you don't want to spend a lot of time learning the sophisticated radar and combat information systems of Falcon, then definintely go for the IL2 products - they are pretty much point and shoot. However, be prepared for a steep learning curve here as well. The AI is wicked good and if you are like me, and not a dedicated combat sim pilot, you are going to be getting your tail waxed quite often!

Just saw it the other day at a Best Buy for $19.99 It's still out there, and fairly cheap on clearance, I'm sure you'd be able to find it somewhere.