Sign in to follow this  
TC1

IFR Question

I just completed a flight from LPLA to CYQX using the Dreamfleet 727-200. As I approached Gander Int. I was told that the airport was IFR and it was closed.Even though the airport was closed, I landed using the NAV/LOC, Glideslope capabilitites of the aircraft. I have never attempted the FS9 training course to become IFR qualified. I have almost 1600 flight hours in FS9 and I would rather not take the course, a number of posts found in this forum state that the course in flawed. Is there and ini file that I can be reset so that I can skip the airport close due to being IFR?ThanksTom

If you haven't created or loaded an IFR flight plan with the Flight Planner they won't give you clearance to land (or take-off) in IMC. Just like in the real world, filing VFR is optional but filing IFR is mandatory.Jim

Thank you, somhow I should of known that fact.Thanks againTom

This is all to do with weather. if the weather is poor you will be refused permission to t/o or land unless you are flying under IFR. This means filing a flight plan.The instrument course in FS9 has nothing to do with this.Peter

Peter Schluter

Peter - thanks.Most of the time I do fly IFR, but because this flight was over mostly water, and I wanted to rake some leaves, I selected VFR. Thanks againTom

Tomone thing you can do is file IFR then fly to cruise Alt. When you get passed on from one ATC station to another dont contact the next one. You can then pick up later in the flight and you wont have been booted out of your IFR plan.ps. if you need any practice sweeping leaves I have the perfect training ground at this time of the year. No entry fee required and all tools supplied :)

Peter Schluter

Hi, Tom.In the FS World, you do Not need an Instrument rating to file IFR/ fly in IMC., but you must file / flight plan, IFR if the ceiling and vis are below VFR.As far as IFR test in FS, you can pass it, but like the usual MS stuff is only half done / very difficult, because of the poor programming skills of these guys. If you need more info, and you want to do it, post here for more help. TV