Sign in to follow this  
Guest milodog

Before I hang myself....

Guest milodog

I have reached the end of my rope with this one. Been using fs9 for years and have become fairly good at tinkering around with it, but this one has me stumped.Have had an HP Blackbird rig for about 6 months with no problems and it can handle anything FS throws at it. I am (was) running fs9, ultimate terrain US/CANADA/ALASKA/EUROPE, Ultimate Traffic, Flight Environment, and FSglobal 2008 and plenty of misc add-on aircraft and scenery and life was great. A week or so ago, right after take-off everything just locks up (still had jet sound). This keeps happening, so I start eliminating different add-ons trying to find the culprit. I even deleted my fs9.cfg and had fs create a new one booting up thinking something may be corrupt in it. NO DICE, keeps locking up just after take-off (tried at different airports, same thing).I decide a major action must be taken so I uninstall everything. I am going to start from scratch and check things after every install. I re-install fs9, go to take this first test flight, everything looks good, and about 30 seconds after take-off the same lock up. Apparently the problem is in fs9 because that is all that is installed.Anyboby have any ideas???

Hi.Post All your system specs here for better help.What was the last thing you changed before you started having the problem? Can you run 3DMark OK? It sounds more like a Video / Audio Driver issue. If you have a Restore point, saved before you started having problems, try that first, after you make a new one now. before you try it. TV

Guest milodog

From what I can tell it is SoundMax by Analog Devices(?)

Guest milodog

HP Blackbird 002Motherboard: nVidia C55XEIntel Core2 Q6600 @2.40GHzWestern Digital HD @ 10,000 rpmWindows Vista Home 32 bit4G Corsair DDR2-SDRAM (800 MHz)Dual 1GB ATI Radeon HD 2900XT Video cardsAGEIA PhysX 100 Series PCI Express Cardand I think the sound card is SoundMax

Guest yarvelling

Take the side off the casing and have a look to see what rating the Power Supply (PSU) has; quite often HP only put a 300 - 350 Watt unit into their PC's.....this really enough! When you start 3D gaming a lot of work and effort is required from all the components; if the PSU is running out of power, the system will more often than not just lock-up solid!Also, check that the ventilation through the casing is good enough; a decent heatsink/fan on the CPU (not just the standard Intel one), and good air-flow through the case from front to back. Ideally you'd have a fan at the front drawing cool air into the case, and a fan at the back pushing the now-warm air out. If the system is overheating due to lack of airflow, then it will often lock solid!My money though, would be on the PSU....if it's only 300 Watts, by a decent replacement of at least 500-600 Watts, and get a decent brand-name; Antec are one of the best, also Jeantech make decent PSU's.Before you go fiddling too much though, try running 3D-Mark, and a couple of other recent games; see if they too lock-up, to try to make sure that it isn't just FS9 that has gone bad somewhere!

Guest milodog

Ran Prime Benchmark 3 if thats what you are talking about. Score was 15441. Not sure what that means. I forgot to mention that the CPU's are liquid cooled. I think the power supply is pretty beefy, but I will have to check that tomorrow, gotta go to work. Thanks so far.

I'm with yarv on this one. The power supply should be at least 500W. 300W with that rig just won't cut it. You will get the problems you described above with too low a PSU.

NO expert but i bet its not power supply.IF it was the crash would surely be variable not always at takeoff.cheers ANDYare you add-on scenery man.I used to be.Had lots of CTdSCleared out add-on scenery of all sorts of clutter a long time ago(after all this is a flight sim not an airport sim) and do not have problems with CTDsAndy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

When you reinstalled FS9, did you also reinstall the FS9.1 update? This is the time of year that the old seasonal CTD used to crop up pre-FS9.1If you right click on FS9.exe and look at the details tab, the version should be 9.1.0.40901I would also make sure that your video and audio drivers are current...as in newer than whatever Windows Service Pack you're using.Running a memory checker like MemTest86 to look for a bad RAM module isn't a bad idea, either.(edit: two 1GB vid cards in a 32-bit system is asking for trouble, too. More than half of your 4GB of RAM isn't being used by the system as the OS maps 2GB of video RAM plus other hardware, blocking all that address space from use by the OS. The 4GB of RAM is present, but over 2GB of it can't be accessed by your 32-bit OS)RegardsBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Not the benchmark mate... run the Prime torture test and leave it running, if you're stable after a few hours, then you can rule out CPU/memory errors. If anything goes wrong in Prime, run memtest to further narrow it down.Prime torture test (100% load on memory and all CPU cores) is a good way of diagnosing memory and CPU overheat problems. When Prime fails, it's usually one or the other or a combination of both.I've had my system running 100% stable for months and then one day it started crashing the same way as yours; turned out mobo started undervolting memory all of a sudden. Not saying that's the case here, but it does sound more like a hardware than a software problem if you're crashing on a vanilla FS9 install.

Guest milodog

OK, little extra info...........The power supply is 1100 watts. On the hardware side I have run HP's PC diagnostics which tests every piece of hardware, all passed. Have run Furmark, Memtest and GPU-Z and everything is well within parameters.On the software side, all that is installed was FS9 and a no-cd .exe. I had forgotten to install the update patch and went ahead and did that. I have tried one test flight from Cherry Point MCAS to Andrews AFB and all was well until about 50 miles out, EL LOCKO!!I guess this is progress, though.Found a page on this issue from microsoft:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837195/en-usGives me a couple things to check out. I really think this may be some sort of texture loading corruption, but we will see.....

Guest milodog

DRAT!!!! Just tried the same flight and got about a mile off the runway and that was all she wrote.