Sign in to follow this  
Gavin

DirectX for FS9 on XP

This is going to sound like a dumb question to many of you - so please be gentle with me.How can I tell which version of DirectX I have and whether it's the right one for FS9 on XP?Thank you to any of you prepared to be patient with me!:-)

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Guest lgvpilot1

Gavin press start click on run type in dxdiag and press okayThis should open the diagnostic tool and your version will be on the first pageMark

Guest OneTinSoldier

I never trust the version reported on the first page of DxDiag. For instance, back in July I updated DirectX to v9.24.1400 and just yesterday I updated DirectX to...DirectX 9.0c v9.25.1476Yet the first page seems to always report DirectX as being v4.09.0000.0904.There must be a better way! But I don't know what it is right offhand.Regards

Guest OneTinSoldier

Interesting. I can only report on my only personal experience, which is that DirectX always shows as being version DirectX 9.0c(4.09.0000.0904)I also went to here in the registry...HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftDirectXThe value for 'Version' in there shows the same thing, 4.09.0000.0904.I did some searching on Google about this and I am still in the process of examining the search results. So far as I can tell, DxDiag version 4.09.0000.0904 means that you have DirectX 9.0c installed. This is a Main Version number(for lack of a better term).Now perhaps I was make a horses rear end out of myself by 'assuming'. There have been many many updates to DirectX 9.0c since it was released, which appears to be back on July 26 of 2004. That means there's been 4 years worth of updates to DirectX 9.0c. I assumed that the OP(Gavin) was wanting to know if there was a way to tell what Subversion(for instance v9.25.1476 released on November 7, 2008) he has installed. If all you want to know is whether or not you have DX 8.0, 8.1, 9.0a,b, or c installed and don't care about the Subversion that any updates you have installed have made, then yes, you can find that out with DxDiag. As far as I know, DxDiag does not show te Subversion number on it's front page nor on the 'DirectX Files' tab. Please correct me if I am wrong.Regards

Guest OneTinSoldier

And I wish to apologize for assuming but I assumed that pretty much no one around here would be running WinXP or Vista or even DirectX with no updates applied at all.Regards

Thanks for you help guys. The DxDiag method shows me that I have 9.0c 4.09.0000.0904.Regarding the sub-version (as opposed to evil subversion ;-) ) I didn't really think about this at all. Should I?Thanks again!

Gavin Barbara

Guest OneTinSoldier

Hello Gavin,If all you were wanting to know is what Major/Main version of DirectX you had installed, it was that simple and now you know. with over 1100 posts I thought you were probably wanting to know a little more than that though, lol.You don't really need to worry about having the lastest update(minor/subversion) to DirectX installed. However, it's probably not a bad idea to get it and install it. If you want it you can get it from here...http://www.esoft.web.id/programming/direct...es-version.htmlCheers

with over 1100 posts I thought you were probably wanting>to know a little more than that though, lol.Thanks - I appreciate your help. Over 1100 posts and still not too smart with computer stuff :-) Still, who needs to be when there are always good folk like yourself ready to help out.Cheers mate!

Gavin Barbara