Sign in to follow this  
mikejr

Gauge/sound/effect/file cleaner program: RELIABLE

Hi all, I am about to go on a FS2004 'spring cleaning spree', and i want to get rid of all the gauges as well as sounds and effects etc., which are now unused, that have accumulated over the years after ad-dons have been added and removed, and i'm looking for an appropriate program to help. I currently have two programs - the one included in 'Wolli's' Fluisfix, and Doctor Gauge, both of which of course only remove gauges, and indeed, Doctor Gauge detects 'old' gauges which i know ARE in use. Fluisifix just takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r and it also appears to come back with gauges that might be in use... I am worried that if i delete these alleged 'old' gauges, i may have issues with various planes and never be able to get them back.So, does anyone-Have either of these programs?-Know if they do work correctly and detect ONLY the UNUSED gauges?-Know of any that also remove old effects and sounds (probably unlikely)?-Have a better suggestion for a program that removes gauges correctly and possibly other old files?:-hmmmBe great if anyone could get back to me on any question in this. Thanks a lot in advance.Cheers, :-beerchug

Mike 

In years past I think I have tried all of the "cleaners" (for gauges) and cannot say I was very pleased with any of them.What I do now (following a clean re-install of FS2004) is simply NOT put any new gauges in the default gauge folder.I always unzip any new aircraft to a temporary folder and manually move the items where they belong. If the package includes gauges which are "supposed" to be put in my gauges folder, I place them in the panel folder of that aircraft instead.FS2004 (and apparently FSX also) looks in the panel folder first for any gauges which are required and if it does not find them there, then in looks in the default gauges folder.Doing it the way I described allows me to audition the aircraft and if there are any problematic gauges, I know right where to look.If I decide not to keep the aircraft - one delete gets it all (except for any special effects there may have been). This method also solves the problem of overwriting gauges with older versions of the same gauge. Obviously "clutter" is reduced too.This idea works best following a fresh install but it is never to late to use it as you audition new aircraft.Hope this is helpful.

>In years past I think I have tried all of the "cleaners" (for>gauges) and cannot say I was very pleased with any of them.>>What I do now (following a clean re-install of FS2004) is>simply NOT put any new gauges in the default gauge folder.>>I always unzip any new aircraft to a temporary folder and>manually move the items where they belong. If the package>includes gauges which are "supposed" to be put in my gauges>folder, I place them in the panel folder of that aircraft>instead.>>FS2004 (and apparently FSX also) looks in the panel folder>first for any gauges which are required and if it does not>find them there, then in looks in the default gauges folder.>>Doing it the way I described allows me to audition the>aircraft and if there are any problematic gauges, I know right>where to look.>>If I decide not to keep the aircraft - one delete gets it all>(except for any special effects there may have been). This>method also solves the problem of overwriting gauges with>older versions of the same gauge. Obviously "clutter" is>reduced too.>>This idea works best following a fresh install but it is never>to late to use it as you audition new aircraft.>>Hope this is helpful.>>HMMM!I think I will start to do that.(Gauges in panel folder)cheers Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Cool, cool,I am gonna have to try that one, great advice! Thanks a lot Opa.I am however looking to get rid of my proper unused gauges - so if anyone knows of a 100% reliable method which does just what it should that'd be fantastic.Thanks again Opa.Anyone post if you know anything.Cheers.

Mike 

Guest ThrottleUp

I would suggest you backup your gauges, sounds & effects folders to a DVD and then do your cleaning. Nothing worse than scrubbing your FS9 of "junk" files only to be presented with a black hole on the panel of that nice bizzjet you have because the gauge cleaner blitzed something! The idea of extracting gauges to the panel folder is a very good one and is something I have only recently started doing. Wish I had done it before!:)

OK, thanks for the suggestion, ThrottleUp, i'll see what i can do.It would be nice, though, to have a program that does it all quickly for you... when pigs fly though, hey?Thanks again everyone.

Mike 

Guest ThrottleUp

Yea definetly do a backup! With the knowledge that you have all the files safe on CD/DVD you will be free to try out any gauge-cleaning program you want and if it does something silly just pop your disc in the drive and restore :)An alternative method: Zip the gauges folder and leave the zipped copy on your hard drive. That way the backup is always there ready for use. I have done this for all important folders that 3rd-party programs tinker with like fs9/texture, fs9/scenery/world/texture etc.