Sign in to follow this  
krishcanag

FS2004 + Traffic 2005 = stutters

Hello I have been doing some testing and the end results are; CPU between 4.1GHz and 3.7GHz makes no difference to stutter mainly at heathrow with traffic set at 69%. scrency ultra high, plane high, display ultra high at 1440 x 900. The FPS does go up and down depending on CPU clock rate. Zero traffic = zero stutters flying at dubai with 69% traffic causes next to no stutters, its really only happens at heathrow, which has maximum density. Is there any way to limit or reduce the stutter caused by Traffic 2005? I think not becuase FS9.CFG is single thread I think that krishan PS. Is my GPU card going to eat into memory addrssing? when I look at task manager with FS9.CFG running I still have about 1G un-used RAMGigabyte EP45-DS4 E8500 XFX 898MB 260GTX Samsung F1 spinpoint 750G 2G Corsair dominator 1066-8500 ram

My experience is the type of stutters you describe are caused frequently by AI aircraft at other airports in the area when there is insufficient parking for those aircraft.At Heathrow, I have between 800 and 1,000 AI aircraft active in my FS2004 / FSX setups.The basic five commerical airports - Heathrow, Gatwick, Luton, Stanstead and London City - have most of the traffic, but Biggin Hill has traffic and if you have the military AI, Mildenhall, Lakenheath, Brize Norton and Fairford all have traffic. Not to mention the various small airports in the area.London is the most intense AI environment in the FS world.

For this type of FS9 stutters I would also like to add the following to what is already said on this subject:When in any flyable aircraft there is always a circle of about 80 Nm radius around your aircraft within which AI aircraft are active, either on the ground or in the air depending on their schedules. When you are flying, this circle moves with you and any AIs in the sky around you will become active (and potentially visible) when the moving circle includes their positions and will de-activate them when their positions pass out of it. This will already cause some (micro) stutters because your processor will be very busy with these kinds of sub-activities initiated by the AI engine.On top of that, when the circumference passes over any airport with lots of AIs, then these will suddenly also become active (and potentiably visible) on top of those already active on other airports and in the sky within the circle. This will cause longer stutters and even more so when, as Reggie puts it, the AI engine is kept busy with trying to park and activate AIs on other airports within the circle but which do not have the necesary number or types of parking positions. This is especially true around the extremely busy British group of airports which he mentioned.If you are flying low with plenty of visible (addon) scenery which all needs to be generated on your screen, then these AI engine initiated stutters will become even more apparent.I hope this short explanation will shed some light on the cause of some types of stutters.What we really need is much faster hardware !!!Hans

I've had stuttering issues in the past when I misnamed the .fx files for AI (like after changing the beacon/strobe effects).Found out about it by watching filemon and seeing reference to non-existing files.PatAMD Opteron DC 185 @ 3GHz, Zalman7700Cu cooler, Corsair XMS 2GB DDR, 7800GS-OC, Asus A8V MoBo, RaptorHDD, TrackIR4, CH FSYoke+TQ+peds, Eclipse RED KB, WinXP-sp2

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

Hi there Reggie,I hope you're still airborne to read this.A thread on the subject of insufficient AI parking positions at out of sight or non user visited airports and the effects on stutters, was posted some time ago. Very interesting thread as a result of which I did a.o. a major overhaul of all my (460) AI aircraft.cfg files including conversion of all textures to DXT format.1. I reduced all my AI aircraft.cfg file sizes by removing any slashed out remarks and other unnecessary "ballast", like Force Feed Back entries etc. After all, the AI engine disregards very many such like entries anyway and/or which are not necessary for AIs, e.g. the initiation of gear warning sounds, etc. My theory is that when the circumference of the circle (see my post below) passes over any AI positions (in the sky or on the ground) the processor needs to access these aircraft.cfg files during each individual activation process which in some FS (addon) scenery areas can be very many indeed, as you say. Keeping these aircraft.cfg files as "ballast free" as possible should therefore at least reduce any structural or specific area binded stuttering.2. I had a good look at my TTools FlightPlans030528.txt file and removed many flight plans to or from airports where I do not fly to or depart from myself, especially around my addon major European airports and those which you mention. After all, what's the use of having active AIs at airports where you can never observe them anyway. On top of that, when flying, any active TCAS systems are constantly shouting at you to descend or climb in order to avoid those pesky AIs. The same goes for standard ATC telling you to watch out for them when nearby. Unfortunately, I was not able to actually measure the stutter reducing effects of this whole piece of work but I definitly got the empression that my stuttering at least as a result of AI activities were reduced.Reggie, can you please let me hear some comments on these theories. Thanks in advance.Hans