Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

FS9 still delivers....big time!

Even though I use FSX on a regular basis, I still so much enjoy coming home to FS9. Yesterday, I took a silky-smooth 25 locked FPS flight from Detroit to Chicago. The weather yesterday was perfect for eye-candy as well as the chop and cross-wind landing on 09R.FS9 will not be removed from my 'pute, for there really is no good reason to do so. With hard drive capacity at an all-time 'cheap'...why would I?!? Too much FPS performance to 'click away....' :)Cheers!Mitch

Indeed. Plus the fact that the availability of top end add-ons that just work and run smoothly is superior to FSX at the moment. I purchased Aerosoft's CDG the other day. Huge airport - very detailed and it just runs as smooth as silk with my PMDG B744 or PT TU-154m with ASV6.5. I suppose I could try to upgrade my 2 year old computer and try to get FSX to run and look as good as FS9, but it doesn't really seem to be worth the time, money and hassle. It's just more fun to fly than tweek. And before I know it I'll have a brand new MD-11 to play with :-) Maybe it's exterior model won't be as good as the FSX version, but then I can't get any aircraft to look good in FSX. However, based on what PMDG have written, the systems will work the same. I can live without wing views.We are, however, preaching to the converted here ;-) I have no beef with FSX and use it for 'low & slow' but, from my perspective only, it has been a disappointing product so far. I know there are those who can get it to run flawlessly and am very happy for those people - some of the screenshots I've seen are truly amazing.So to end up - the above comments are only my opinion and only refer to the MS FS products I have installed on my computer and in no way intend to insult or criticise anyone else who may have different opinions.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Guest ThrottleUp

I have no beef with FSX and use it for 'low & slow' but, from my perspective only, it has been a disappointing product so far My thoughts exactly and that is also how I use the sim. In fact I see FSX as "FS9 General Aviation Edition". I like it for GA due to better immersion from the increased autogen. Apart from that its like flying inside a cartoon and when it comes to trundling along in an Airbus its back to FS9! FS9 gets stronger all the time - as an example just look at what VOZ does for it and this is *freeware*. Amazing. With mods like this we can expect FS9 to trundle along peacefully like a happy and contented bumble bee for a long time to come.

I too am still attached to FS9. And while I have FSX, it still is in the box. I've noticed though that there has been a considerable drop-off in scenery design, especially freeware, for the northern continent. For example, I enjoy flying Alaska due to the Tongass and Misty Fijords sceneries. But other areas are severly lacking, e.g. Purdhoe Bay.Also nothing really new in the lower 48 states.I'm not a scenery designer, don't have the time nor the talent, so I appreciate the work of those with the talent. But then there are a whole lot of places I still haven't visited. So maybe it doesn't really matter.Just a thought.Jim D.

Perhaps unintentionally Microsoft have shown us the future of flight simulation!:-hah Two versions - not Standard and Deluxe. "Low and Slow" and "High and Fast". I know which version I'll choose! :-beerchug

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

>My thoughts exactly and that is also how I use the sim. In>fact I see FSX as "FS9 General Aviation Edition". I like it>for GA due to better immersion from the increased autogen.>Apart from that its like flying inside a cartoon and when it>comes to trundling along in an Airbus its back to FS9! >
Well, General Aviation isn't half bad! :) There are a whole lot of commercial pilots who have hangars around mine, for "fun" flying on the weekends. Those that don't...........just don't like flying above and beyond their day jobs, I suppose :D Anyway, FSX certainly is my preference for GA flying at about 200 mph, and up to 10,000' agl. I use MegaScenery which looks far from a cartoon, and default FSX mountain areas (which I regulary fly) look far better than FS9. More photo like textures, richer colors, higher resolution, and improved shawdowing which adds a much better illusion of depth. Basically......the opposite of a cartoon.....most of the time! But, as with the orignal post, I still run FS9 much of the time too. I have a lot of great scenery and aircraft for FS9. There is no reason at this point, to delete it. L.Adamson

Sometimes I wonder if I'm defective in some way, and perhaps the only one who feels this way, having actually started ou on FSX and having "moved back" to FS9 via the bargain bin at Amazon.3 computers, 6 monitors, and thousands in software and hardware add ons later, I still see posts like this pop up here and then I know: FS9 is good.PS: Ray Proudfoot: How've you been? I haven't seen your name posted in a while, have I?

Guest ristretto

I've had FS9 for about four years on my computer and still love it! Lots of add-ons. (I never bought FSX). On Oct 18, 2008 I took a real flight on Virgin America from LAX to SFO and took pics of the trip. I got the speed and altitude data from flightaware. The matching FS9 screen shot on the right uses Megascenery. I use FSPILOT to make automatic flights from city to city.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/194418.jpg

PS: Ray Proudfoot: How've you been? I haven't seen your name posted in a while, have I?I'm fine thanks Chuck. I've been reading but not posting much. I lend support in the Radar Contact forum. It's all down to the subject and what I feel I can contribute. This one caught my eye, just like you ;-)Just a pity that with the pound/dollar exchange rate dropping there aren't quite so many bargains to be had recently. :-(

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

That is a great graphic representation, ristretto! A picture is worth a thousand words.

Guest zacharace

Topics like these make me feel warm and fuzzy inside ;)I am also truly dedicated to FS9. The add-ons, the ease-of-use, the raw performance...why would one choose to build a new system just for FS X?This topic will probably be argued for a few years coming, but I, for one, will stick to my guns ;). Inevitably, we all will be forced to upgrade, but why speed the process when FS 9 is still the best?

Couldn't agree more!Shame is that I did honestly try FSX for some time. But after an average of 10-15 fps on a high end system, no matter what tweaking I did, I in the end switched back completely and shelved FSX.Also, the quantity of good quality add-ons for FSX doesn't even come close to those of FS9.We'll see how the next FS will turn out, but I for sure will keep on flying FS9 for quite some time still. I have no problem to churn out 40fps locked steady with ASV6.5, any add-on plane and scenery.With FSX one can only dream about those possibilities.Kivech

Marc Baas

I use FS9 with the Matrox 3H2GO (triple head to go)for the PMDG B747-400F. For those unfamiliar, the Matrox spreads the VC across three monitors utilizing a single PC. My system is a 5-year old Dell 3.0 processor with 1.5 G of RAM and 256 video card. I have contemplated making the switch to FSX, but not with this current system. This thread almosts seals the deal for me to stick with FS9 to the bitter end.

Guest Jeffhew

The number of people that are migrating back to FS9 lately is a bit of vindication for those of us who have advocated the virtues of the older platform over FSX. Even the high end developers who once said they would not be developing FS9 compatible products in the future, are doing an about face of sorts. Now, we have to show our support for them by buying their FS9 products so they will continue to support us. The sales of FSX may have been a technical success but, the next version will not be nearly as good. Most of us who have upgraded to the new versions in the past, sight unseen, will not be so quick to jump on the bandwagon next time. As the saying goes, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me". FSX simply doesn't offer anything new, relevant to the simulation of flight, compared to a modified FS9. Many of us purchased FSX based on our experience with the franchise. Given that a number of issues were left untouched in FSX, FS11 will need to have demonstrated, substantive improvement, for us veterans of the franchise to jump onboard. If the developers insist on ignoring glaring inadequacies brought to them by the serious simming community, FS9 may well be seen as the last, best true Flight Simulator. It's a shame really, that a successful franchise of some 27 years and 10 versions is now in a position to have to prove itself yet again. This, of course, is just my opinion.Regards,Jeff