Sign in to follow this  

HELP! What are this HUGE files in the FS2002 folder?

I have seen today that all my free space in the Hard disk where I have installed FS2002 and all their add-ons had dissapeared. In a partition of 37 Gbs, only 400 Mbs remain empty!!I have looked for any files or folders to find the cause, and I have found many extrange files in the FS2002 folder, some of more than 1 Gb of size!! At the moment, I have moved all them to another Hard disk, to test if Fs2002 works without them, and the results are positive, but maybe with a little drop in the fps, and the loading of the textures (but I'm not sure of this, it's only a first impression).The files haven't any extension, and all have a name with a number or letter, something as hexadecimal..

Guest Fortress

sorry - I can't help, but do these files have an extension? If so, it might help someone more knowledgeable to help out...Edit.. Sorry Pepeillo! Obviously didn't read your post fully. I find that I too have a one file similar to those you show (last one in pic "0") with size 0 bytes.Cheers,Paulhttp://www.strontiumdog.plus.com/sbird.jpgOfficially licenced by British Airways plc for use of name and logo

Guest Grey_Wolf

I had those, 4 Gigs each. What was happning was each time FS loaded It added "new" scenery because one of the .bgl files was bad.I'd recomend deleting all of those and reinstalling all your adon scenery one at a time. After you ad in each new area restart flight sim to be sure it starts properly It should NOT add new scenery each time you start it. You'll find the scenery(s) with bad .bgl files that way.although I have not tryed the program, the new bgl scanner might be able to detect bad scenery files.Having FunGrey_Wolf

No, Reddog, the scanbgl.exe scans ALL the bgl files that are registered in the scenery.dat in each folder of sceneries listed in the scenery.cfg.I have just used it and it have scanned 12170 bgl files!, and in the scenedbafdfiles I have only 204 files (including the copies made by the AFCAD with the extension "original").I haven't bad or corrupted bgl files, and I don't think this is the cause for that estrange and BIG files that I talk in the first message...Anyone more with the same problem?

Guest Reddog

Glad to hear that cause I ran it and it didn't find any bad files. After reading your original post I checked my FS2002 and i have the same thing, different numbers and letters than yours but a whole bunch of them.I was able to copy some of them to a safe folder but not all. the ones I was able to copy I then deleted out of the 2002 folder and then started it up and it ran okay, I just don't know if I can delete the rest of them with causing any problems.http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data/reddog/551867.jpgSceenshots and Pics athttp://community.webshots.com/user/reddog18951USMC Retired

I vaguely remember, quite a few years ago, something like this happening to me - it turned out to be some automatic Wndows (95 maybe)backup program had been activated. Might be worth checking.NigelVancouver

The reason for the existence of that extrange files was that I had a DUPLICATED Landclass file in two separated folders: the main scenery of fs2002 and in an specific folder of an Freeware add-on (Switzerland Landclass, exactly) Every time that I loaded the FS2002 the process of create the database of sceneries was stopped many minutes in the 91%, and the file "INDEX_FILE" wasn't created, and in his place appeared one of the extrange files of more than 1 Gb of size. A new file every time I loaded the FS2002. And I counld't access to the airports directory. Fs crashed every time that I tried to do so.I have deleted the duplicated .bgl file and the big and useless files created in the main fs2002 folder, and all works well again!!!It's not the first time that I have an important problem for a Landclass file located in the bad place, or duplicated...I hope that this can help to everyone with a similar issue...