Sign in to follow this  
Guest snnib

Graphics and sound probs. Help please.

Guest snnib

Hi there, I have a couple of problems that I have put up with now for some time but now I wish to tap the knowledge that is out there.1 - Is to do with the graphics when using FS2004. I just do not seem to be able to get rid of the chunky graphics - the outline of the aircraft is never even - unless I am viewing side on. I have farted around with all sorts of settings (not that I really understand things very well) but always I end up with the same. How can I get those clean lines please? I have even messed around with RivaTuner 211 and nHancer32-2.4.2 but to be honest I don't really know what I am doing. Silly ole me.2 - Also to do with graphics - I have 2 monitors running @ 1920 X 1200 but when I go into windowed mode to put my overhead panel on the 2nd monitor and then go back to full screen mode the overheadpanel has dropped to a much lower resolution and looks terrible. It is OK if I stay in windowed mode but I much prefer full screen. What is happening there please?3 - The sound in aircraft engines always seems to pulse its not a level constant sound - so to speak. I do not have a soundcard except the one onboard the motherboard and that runs using Realtek drivers. Would a 3rd party card be better and if so what would you recommend please?My outfit is GA-965P-DS3 motherboard NX8800GTS Graphics card 2Gb DDR2 1066 ram Intel Core 2 duo E8400 3gig CPUHope that I will be able to resolve these issues with your kind help. Many thanks in advance.Richard

Hi,1.You have a nVidia 8800GTS card, so you indeed should install nHancer (latest version) and not RivaTuner.nHancer is needed to set AA (Anti Aliasing) in FS2004.In nHancer you create a specific profile (incl settings) for FS2004.Just search for nHancer on this forum and you find how to do this.2.I don't know.3.Better invest a small amount in an add-on soundcard, like a SoundBlaster card. This will give you better sound and performance.Also first try to set the DX sound acceleration a notch back for your current onboard soundchip and try again.In your Windows XP/Vista command prompt type in 'DXdiag' and open the sound tab. There you should be able to set the 'acceleration' 1 or 2 notches back (slider).

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Guest snnib

Hi there,Many thanks Egbert you have made my day.I should have asked these things long ago in this forum.I set the sound back to standard in DXdiag and now it is perfect.And I used nHancer by creating a new profile and now those jolly ole lines are nice and smooth, although it did'nt work until I set it to application only for both settings and set AA in FS2004 - then it worked. That was rather odd as I remember I did try that before without nHancer and it did not work then.I noticed in some of the posts about nHancer that we should delete the FS2004 profile that comes with it - but I tried that and a message comes up saying that you cannot delete it because it contains settings which are predefined by nVidia and therefore cannot be deleted.I wonder how others have managed this?Not that it really matters now I have a 757 to fly to Frankfurt very shortly - so once again many thanks.regardsRichard

Guest Jeffhew

Hi Richard,Welcome to AVSIM!1. I agree with using nHancer. You can find some help on the right settings here:http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...=1208959973/0#5I would also suggest that you use Riva Tuner for the sole purpose of controlling the video card's fan settings. That's what I use it for.2. In windowed mode, you are using the windows display settings. In full screen, you're using the settings in FS' display options. You have to go into the display settings of FS and set up the display preferences for your second monitor the same as the first. Under display, click on the hardware tab. Then click on the device name box and select the second one that says Nvidia 8800GTS 512.1. That's the settings for your second monitor in full screen mode. Set it up the same as your primary monitor.3. I've used both onboard sound as well as my current soundcard. The Realtec sound is really very good. Unless you're using a surround sound speaker setup (5.1), you don't need a separate card. Even then, it won't make much difference in FS' sound quality. The card that I use has a little bit of memory on it to offload the sound processing from the system. The cheaper cards will still use your system resources to process the sound so the benefit is minimal. I think the pulsing you hear is probably aircraft specific. The sounds are samples that are looped to give a continuos engine sound. The pulsing effect is more noticeable in the default aircraft, particularly the jets. You'll notice the same problem with any aircraft that uses (aliases) the same sound file that the default aircraft use. Many of the high end aircraft addons, and a number of freeware ones, have higher quality samples and you won't notice it as much, if at all, with those. There are also a number of sound files available in the library that you can download and install to replace the default sound files. Hope this helps. Best Regards,Jeff

Guest snnib

Thanks alot Jeff, I have followed your instructions about getting the 2nd monitor set up and WOW what a differance it makes to do things properly!!! I have just bought the 757-200 Captain' Pro Pack 2.1 and now with the overhead and other panels on the 2nd monitor and looking fantastic I am in Simmers heaven. Also I took your advice about RivaTuner and will just use it for the fan control. What a difference that makes, gosh the temp dropped from 71C to 63C in 25 minutes. FANtastic.These forums are really great. Thanks so much.regardsRichard