Sign in to follow this  
G-SWSM

FS Navigator SID / STAR Creating.

Hi All.I wonder if someone would be so kind as to help me in trying to create my own SIDS and STARS in FS Navigator please.I have read the details in the fs nav help thingy, but I just don't get it at all, and usually end up more confused.If anyone could give me some pointers if plain English, then this would be great and very welcome.I suppose it's easy when you get the hang of it, but I seem to be getting stuck on a few points such as "must be a runway start point and end with a ndb/vor" etc.Many thanks for any suggestions.

Guest nigelb

OK, I will give it a go. For a SID, the initial point has to be a runway at an airport and the ending point has to be an intersection, NDB, VOR or a fix point that you create by clicking on the map. A STAR is the same, but in the opposite order - ie, starts with an interesction, VOR, NDB etc and ends with a runway. Just add the points you want to the flightplan and then Save as SID/STAR. You can then name the approach or departure in the dialogue box. Don't bother trying to upload it because I am sure the FS Navigator site is down fo SID/STAR uploads and downloads.

"A STAR is the same, but in the opposite order - ie, starts with an interesction, VOR, NDB etc and ends with a runway."Many STARS do not end at a runway. UK STARS end at a hold from which an approach can be made to any runway in either direction.

>"A STAR is the same, but in the opposite order - ie,>starts with an interesction, VOR, NDB etc and ends with a>runway.">>>Many STARS do not end at a runway. UK STARS end at a>hold from which an approach can be made to any runway in>either direction.But for FSNav they HAVE to 'attach' to a runway.Having used FSNav for many years Steve, Nigel has described the process neatly.Obviously the best way to create SIDs & STARs is to have the charts available.Get the airport you are creating SIDs/STARs for in the centre of the map display.For SIDs drag one end of a runway into the flight plan box, that will be your SID start point e.g. rwy23L.Using the chart drag the various fixes into the flight plan window in order, under the runway.To create fixes that are not included in FSNav just click on the map where you think the fix should be and, holding the left mouse button down, drag that fix into the flight plan window. You can then edit its position by either a geometric position or by creating a bearing point off a VOR/NDB.HTH