Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hanse_1

Aardvark 737-200 see.thru engines

Guest Hanse_1

Hello!I have tried in all manner of ways to fix the see-thru engineswith the otherwise nice Aardvark Boeing 737-200's.See included screens........No go, so I wonder if anyone has a remedy for this.Grateful for help.Thanks!Hans HermanssonSweden

>Hello!>>I have tried in all manner of ways to fix the see-thru>engines>with the otherwise nice Aardvark Boeing 737-200's.>See included screens........>>No go, so I wonder if anyone has a remedy for this.>>Grateful for help.>>Thanks!>>Hans Hermansson>SwedenProvide the exact, complete filename of this aircraft and where you downloaded it please.One of us can then install it and see if we get the same engine issue and perhaps offer some advice.

Guest Hanse_1

Hi!Well, it is any Aardvark 737-200 (downloaded from Avsim).They all have the see-thru engines............Thanks for replying.Hansinsweden

Guest magnum_force

HelloI can tell you why they are see thru. It is because they are "painted" in 0-0-0. In order to get them to not to be see thru, the file has to be decompressed, and the color changed to black-10-10-10 or 8-8-8-.Straight black, 0-0-0- becomes see through in flight simulator.I have ran into this issue many times, and David Rawlins had a post years ago about it over at AI Aardvark.So, in short order, you would decompress with DXT3, "get permission from the painter first", save as a 24 bit image, open the image in PSP, use magic wand to highlight the inside of engines and take paint bucket and with a setting of 8-8-8- at a transparency of 75%just tap the right click once,(or whatever the index finger button is, left, right, inside) go to other engine and do the same thing. Also, take the dropper tool I think its called, the tool you select color with, run it over the inside of the fans and you will see where it is showing 0-0-0-.You cannot have black 0-0-0- in FS anything. (FSX may be different, I dont use it yet.Most repainters dont use straight black anymore for this very reason unless they are newbs, no offense to anyone intended, for at least 3 years now so that must be an old repaint or someone not checking their work.)That said,Re compress and save to DXT3, use image tool to remove mip maps and it will look right.Decompressed files lose image quality, somewhat, or artifacts become more apparent.Also, when you look at a decompressed file and see artifacts, spend a little time with the repaint and remove them before re compressing.The repaint will look less tacky in your sim.Also, make sure to ask the original painter for permission before decompressing someone else's work.

Guest Hanse_1

Hello!and thanks a million for your tips; quite invaluable.............I'll get to it right away...........Thanks again!Hansinsweden

Guest magnum_force
Hello!and thanks a million for your tips; quite invaluable.............I'll get to it right away...........Thanks again!Hansinsweden
HelloYou are welcome. I did forget to add one thing, this issue is mostly related to AI-Aardvark paint kits as I remember it, as thats mostly all the paint kits I used back in 2003. The early AI Aardvark paint kits had a real problem with 0-0-0-. Great AI model, so it was kind of a mystery to me, until you think about it. (0-0-0- is nothing).That said, I have noticed it on a couple of other repaint kits not related to Aardvark over the impending years. HTAI paint kits don't seem to exhibit see thru 0-0-0- on wings and tails for example. But when repainting HTAI (thanks Henry) I always make sure the leading edges of wings and tail have at least a 7-7-7 at 70% opacity to make sure they are colored.Great models and paint kits, thanks for them all you guys.