Sign in to follow this  
Guest contrail

New runways for KORD, KIAD, KSEA

Guest contrail

so whats the best way to add them(including ILS)to default scenery?

>so whats the best way to add them(including ILS)to default>scenery?The free Afcad program by Lee Swordy will allow you to add runways to the default afcads for FS2004.You can find it here:http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...afcd&DLID=46238It includes an extensive Help section which outlines the various things which can be done.That should get you started.You may also wish to search the library here for revised afcads for these airports in case someone has already done one or more of them.Good luck.

You can add the new runway and the ILS with AFCAD, but unless you write the new approaches in XML code and compile them - the runway will be a VFR only runway to the FS ATC.The user aircraft will be able to use the ILS, but the approach will not know it is there. If the weather is IMC, you will be directed to use different runways.

I've had good results using this little gem: ils_gps_approach_creator_v1.1.zip by Martin Gleeson. You just copy and paste runway data directly from AFCAD fields to create the necessary bgls and voila - ils and/or gps approaches enabled in fs :) regards,Mark

Regards,

Mark

Yes, Martin's utility is a must-have for do-it-yourself airport editors.Here's the link here in avsim:http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=114388CheersBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Guest contrail

Thanks for the information. I've created the "new" RWY 9L/27R using afcad. I also used the program mentioned to create an ILS for that runway...but obviously something is going to have to be changed with the default, seeing as KORD already had a RWY 9L/27R with ILS, this needs to be changed to the new designation of 9R/27L(as mentioned, cannot change these parameters using AFCAD). Must be a conflict there as the new RWY 9L/27R I created is not even being used, it's not even on ATIS as an available runway.The new KORD configuration is as follows..Old New27L 2827R 27LNew runway...27R

There are no Utilities for FS9 that will all-in-one renumber existing runways, add a new runway, change an existing ILS IDENT and add correct ILS XML approach data.Each Utility that everyone here is refering you to has limitations. AFCAD will renumber an existing runway but is very trickey and somewhat complex to change the ILS IDENT's. That can be done but if you are not careful the GS symbols will turn 90 degrees and become corrupt. You have to add a new runway renumbered ILS in the insert window of AFCAD and then in the NAVAID list delete the old ILS IDENT's. This forces FS9 to block the default ILS in the proper APnnnnn.bgl file that Lee Swordy is using and now use the new renumbered runway ILS at the AFCAD level. Always open the NAVAID list when finished and see if any ILS and runway numbers are duplicated. If so the AFCAD is corrupt and reading 2 code sources of ILS's.Reggie points out that AFCAD can add a ILS to a new or existing runway but only the User Planes radio will see the Localizer and as Reggie says ATC does not know this ILS exist.Many have used the Utility ils_gps_approach_creator_v1.1 to add a simple approach code to a new ILS but this also is very limited. The only compiler available is the FS9 so it should never be used in FSX. If you try and change a runway number and create a new ILS for that runway number it will duplicate in the GPS receiver. The ils_gps_approach_creator_v1.1 does not understand deleteAllapproaches="TRUE". That requires a application engine to extract all the approach code from the AP9nnnn.bgl such as SDE. There are other issues with IAF/FAF naming schemes for both the ILS and GPS. Maybe the Author of this utility will update to a newer version.We are now back to square one and the only way to renumber runways, at KORD, KIAD, KSEA, KCVX, KDEN, KMCO, EHAM, WSSS, KIAH, LEBL, etc. correctly is with AFCAD (change ILS IDENT also) and write the XML approach code by hand. I believe that is what Reggie said in his post.ImagineSim will release a new KIAD for FS9 very shortly. If all these utilities worked the way everyone says they do I would have used them to fix the runways at KIAD for ImagineSim. AFCAD fixed the 01L to 01C including the ILS Idents but you must edit the Approach code by hand to realign all the localizer IDENT's to the correct runways and write a new set of XML approach codes for the new 01L runway. You now need a new Approach code bgl since AFCAD by default sets deleteAllApproaches="FALSE". This means the AI Plane, the User Plane, ATC and the GPS receiver will see all the proper approach code both VMC and IMC. That also includes the default handholding ATC vectors to final header and all related Transitions and holding patterns as well.There is hope on the horizon (maybe) because ADE automates all this for you but it is for FSX only. Not only did we add and automate my crosswind runway technique in ADE but have now included a user interface (in the next version) that adds all the approved SDK approaches, legTypes, Transitions, Holding Patterns, etc. and those exotic curved approaches I have been writing for the past 4 years such as the VHHX IGS 13 for Cal Classic, 9Dragons and FlyTampa. If you change a runway number any associated approach code and ILS idents change also.The ADE beta team continues to have a on going discussion about backward designing and coding ADE for FS9 using the SDK and BGLComp schema xsd since no Airport Facility (AF) utility is 100 percent FS9. Time will tell.

Guest contrail

Thank you for the very detailed explanation. I figured there were many variables involved when changing/adding runways with approaches. I just ended up going back to my old KORD afcad until perhaps an update of some kind is available for it and the others.BTW, I appreciate very much the crosswind runway technique and have used it on all the major US airports....as of last count my US domestic AI flight plans consist of 6136 FP's 194k legs and 451 aircraft...the added realism in adding real-time airline timetable data(for AI) can only truly be appreciated when multiple runways are utilized at the hubs, especially at places like KORD during peak arr/dep times. For those of us who like the airline environment it turned it into a whole new simming experience.Thanks again.

Guest Outer Marker

@jvile01,Thank you for this post. It is an excellent summary for this recurring topic. I would be most intrested in ADE backwards compatibility for FS9 as I am a scenery/FDE developer. I do not have a system capable of handling FSX, and for now, FS9 is where I am staying. I have recently begun a project to update the SID/STARS for FSNavigator, and the new runway numberings are a stumbling block.It will be most interesting to see how things shape up for ADE.Thanks again,-- Bryan (Outer Marker)