Sign in to follow this  
Guest F15Driver

FS9.exe et al

Guest F15Driver

Been simming since FS95 and therefore am not a stranger to FS9 reinstall etc. However, this is a new one for me, is it possible for the FS9.exe to become corrupted? If so, can I reinstall FS9.exe from the FS2004 CD without impacting current FS9 settings/addons/etc? Not sure it's related, but, I started hearing an audible "bleep" when FS9 is initially loading--while the DC-3 splashscreen is up and before it goes to settings menu.Along with the "beep" sound, my saved flight now starts with a "paused simulation" red text at the bottom--strange since I never saved a flight with pause...I didn't see a preference in settings to turn "paused simulation" at startup off...any thoughts?Lastly, what's the "render to texture" block for in display/hardware settings--do most guys run with it checked or unchecked? Mine is currently checked but I see no entry in FS9.cfg rendertotexture=1? Is this normal?ThanksF15DriverAMD FX-62 dualNvidia GX2 7950 (1GB)Corsair 2GB DDR RAMRaptor 10000rpm HDDell 24" WinXP Home(addons: PMDG 737NG, 747-400/400F, Wilco Airbus Vol1 and 2, PSS 757, about 25 payware addon airports, UT USA, UT Europe, GE Pro, ASv6.5,etc etc).

Guest RonB49

If I was having these startup problems, I would let FS9 build a new config file before I replaced the exe file or anything else. In case you don't know how, just delete or rename FS9.cfg, then start FS9, then exit from FS9. You'll have a new config file with the default settings at that point, then see if your startup problems are corrected. If not, then I believe that you can copy Fs9.exe from the CD. I'm not 100% sure but I think so.Regarding Render to Texture; it has been a long time since I've worried with this but as I recall it has (or had) something to do with clouds. The default is rendertotexture=1, therefore it is unnecessary to have the entry appear in the Fs9.cfg file.I seem to recall that Chris Willis released a set of high performance clouds that required renedertotexture be set a certain way or FS9 would crash when the progress bar reached "Loading Weather" (about 80% as I recall).The reason I said "has (or had)" above, is because I also remember something changing that made the setting moot. It may have been the 9.1 patch or perhaps the cloud set changed. At any rate, I don't think that you need worry about it now.R-