Sign in to follow this  
Chock

A request/suggestion

I bought the FSX default 747 FS2Crew add-on and like it very much, and of course look forward to a PMDG version for FSX too, hopefully in the not too distant future.Incidentally, I recommend this add-on to anyone who hasn't given it a go, it's great fun and makes flying the heavy metal much more immersive.Got one minor criticism though, which is more in the way of a request for future products than anything, and that is: Would you consider producing the PDF manuals in a more concise form?Among the many jobs I have, is as a designer of stuff like that and, in my opinion it certainly seems possible: I think the point size of the text and the choice of A4 pages, for the default 747 manual results in something which runs to 81 pages when it doesn't really need to. Without getting a typescale out, I'd guess the pointsize is about 12 or 13, which is way larger than is necessary to be legible. Yes I could resize it and scale it or whatever when I print it out, but I get enough of that with the work I do without doing it at home, besides which, not everyone is comfortable with doing stuff like that.So I personally think having the manual as an A5 DPS - meaning that it could still be printed to A4 as spreads, but use the same A4 printer paper - would result in something much more user-friendly for when one is sat at a computer, and it would require half the paper and toner too!As a case in point, I have a (genuine) Airbus A320 S.O.P. manual with all the procedures for every conceivable eventuality listed in it, and all the checklists, and that's A5 in a ring binder which, minus the binder cover, consists of about the same amount of paper overall as the FS2 747 manual! When you consider that it contains pretty much all the instructions and procedures for flying the real Airbus, if they can manage that at A5, then surely the FS2 747 pdf could be made smaller?Of course I realise that one of the cost-cutting measures with many software releases is to include a pdf, rather than a paper manual, but when the pdf requires twice as much paper to print it as it really needs, it's kind of silly. As a concession to the user not getting a paper manual without printing it out, you might also want to consider making the pdf interactive (although this would involve slightly more work, so might affect cost), but since this is one of the major capabilities of the pdf format in its on-screen form; it would be a simple matter to link items in it to the installed sounds of the program for example; any version of acrobat reader above version 5 is capable of supporting that kind of thing and it's pretty easy to do with Quark XPress or InDesign, and indeed many other page layout design programs.Anyway, just a suggestion or two. By the way, I wish you good luck and success with your marketing decision to offer add-ons at a lower cost and aim for greater market penetration and volume sales. Good idea and a great product.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Hi,Glad to hear you like FS2Crew for the FSX 747.I created the manual in Word and then converted to PDF. I've never worked with QuarkX or the more professional publishing programs. If you want to volunteer to re-format the manual, that would be great.I could always use someone who has a professional background in publishing.Chrs,Bryan

Nice, get me to do the work for free.Only joking, I may very well do that, but it will have to wait until I'm not busy, which could possibly be next week. I'll give it a shot if I have time, how's that sound?

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here