Sign in to follow this  
ailchim

file categories

I know this is going to make me sound like an anally retentive grouch, but can anything be done to ensure that files get uploaded into the right library category?Anyone who has downloaded the new Aardvark B737-300 V2 over the last week or so will notice that the repaints have all been put into the Aircraft Repaints, Texures and Modifications category where they mix with flyable aircraft, whereas the vast majority of AI repaints are in the AI Aircraft section, including the bulk of the previous Aardvark models.This seems like a small point and I'm not having a go at Aardvark in particular, but it is a shame if they are harder than necessary to find as people could lose out on these excellent AI models.

ngxu_banner.png

Guest drawlins

Those are the categories I used when I uploaded the files. I'm not a fan of the catch-all category "FS 2004 AI Aircraft". (I guess there are no ai aircraft for FS2002) Besides technically not being a description that encompasses repaints, I personally perceive it as dismissive of the amount of work that goes into ai aircraft and repaints these days.I'd love to see this one category broken up into "AI Aircraft models", and "AI Aircraft textures", very similar to the way more respected UI aircraft are handled. I've suggested this to various avsim library staff on several occasions over the years, and either been ignored or gotten a reply along the lines of "Get off of your high horse, the tail does not wag the dog."So, I continue to use the categories I have used for years, after all, when you upload files to avsim it only says "Suggested Category", so I used the "suggested" category I personally prefer. Avsim is, of course, free to change them to any other category if they so desire.David R

As one of the most welcome releases in awhile, the fact I used the B737-300V2 as an example is really more of a compliment than a targetted complaint.I can see what you mean about the benefit from the library differentiating the AI models from the AI repaints, but I hope you see what I mean too.As time goes by, it's hard to find the AI repaint you want in amongst the PMDG's, Tinmouse repaints etc etc.This is especially true of "non in-house repaints" done by people outside your excellent team, who don't always give credit for the underlying Aardvark brand and therefore give nothing substantive to search on.Notwithstanding that, thanks for the V2, looks superb, and keep up the good work. Please.

ngxu_banner.png