Sign in to follow this  
Guest gasebah

How to overclock my CPU?

How would I go about overclocking my CPU? I have an AMD XP 1900+...I have an XP 2500 on the way. Do I simply go into BIOS and increase the front side bus speed?TIMMAY!!

Guest Rob

That is basically it as far as overclocking is concerned. BUT ... is your RAM fast enough to keep up? Is your motherboard good enough? Do you have sufficient cooling? Without these .. you could destroy your entire system.Have a look at the forum rules regarding signature banner size .. that's way too big.Overclocking is simple .. but only with the correct components in place.

Not quite, first you have to unlock the processor, to do that it means taking it out and reconnecting some small bridges on the chip with a conductive material without shorting it, only then will you be able to overclock it as most people think of the word, and thats a fiddly job, and that's why I havent done it, I have a 1900XP, but don't think I will be taking the risk.

Guest gasebah

It really depends on what hardware you have. Basically the FSB increase works with every hardware. You do not have to unlock the processor or modify anything. But if you increase the FSB you also increase the speed of the Ram and the PCI bus and normally your puter wil become very unstable almost immediately. Especially the PCI bus is very sensitive against overclocking. The newest boards allow for an overclock of the FSB without changing the PCI bus speed and the AGP speed. Also they have dividers for the ram. The more sophsticated way is to change the processors multiplyer but for your processor to do so you would have to unlock it first and that is very fiddly as said above. Also you can very easily destroy ur hardware if u don't know what you are doing. The newer Athlon processors are unlocked by default. So if you want to go into the oc'ing business Iwould suggest you go the extra mile and get an XP2600+ or higher. If you do not have a new nForce2 board you would sill have to unlock the lower multiplyers but that can be done pretty easy. There are numerous sites on the internet which cover the topic and some good tutorials. Just look around.Alex