Sign in to follow this  

VOR radials

Say for instance you are flying radial 360 inbound to VOR GIJ. When you pass over the VOR and follow the same radial would u still consider it the 360 radial? Or would u call it the 180 radial? Can someone explain this to me? Also if u fly over a VOR on a certain radial and then when going outbound u switch to another radial wouldnt the autopilot want to command the aircraft to turn to go inbound on the slected radial? im kinda new to the whole realistic flying as im only 14 and i just started flying addon aircraft and payware aircraft that fly witht he same systems till the end of this past summer. before i bought payware packages i had no idea that ther wher such things as MCDUs or FMCs. i thought they flew just by selecting the heading in the autopilot.Adam

http://www.stoenworks.com/Aviation%20home%20page.htmlis a good site to go to for answers to VOR navigation, both IFR and VFR. Included is a tutorial on coupled instrument approaches. I like his practical advice as well as basic and advanced instruction.Most of the info is on-line with only a few items available only on the CD he sells at a very reasonable price. Hal has retired as a corporate pilot mostly flying the twin Cessna 421 and is a certified flight instructor with several disciplines.

Adam - Here's a great tutorial for navigating with VOR's http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/vor-nav.htm? . Check the other lessons on that site also. I think this is the best set of tutorials on the web. One thing I'd recommend though. Learn how to do all the instrument flying in one of the Cessnas before tackling the FMC's, etc. Once you have mastered the lessons on that site you can fly any aircraft anywhere in the world. The flight computers will make the job a little (actually, a lot) easier but you have to get the basics down first. Have fun.Trip

Guest Moghdad

In the example you gave, you would actually be flying a COURSE of 180 degrees inbound to the VOR. So you should set your OBS for 180, not 360. Once you cross over, you will see the arrow flick from TO to FROM and will now be outbound on the 180 RADIAL. If you had set your OBS to 360, your needle would actually have deflected in the opposite direction on both inbound and outbound legs. Try it.Whenever you are flying toward a VOR, think COURSE. Whenever you are flying outbound from a VOR, or when you just want to describe your location relative to the VOR, think RADIAL. Either way, set your OBS to the direction you are going.

thanks for all your helpful replies. im practicing using the capsim 727. i was flying outbound on the 89 radial from GIJ then i switched on the inbound radial 284 to CXR and the plane did a uturn intot the opposite direction. can someone explain why?adam

Guest DanWalloch

To clarify things if need be: VOR radials extend outward from the station. So for instance, flying heading 360 to a station, you would be inbound on the 180 radial.

Completely correct.J. BirchCFI,CFII,MEIMobile, ALSupport G.A.!www.aopa.org

Guest CYOW_pilot

I am not familiar with those navaids and whatever route you were attempting to fly, but when changing over to fly the 284 deg radial inbound did you select your course to 104 degrees (the course to fly inbound on the 284 deg radial)?As others have mentioned, check out some of the sites that instruct on VOR navigation.Kevin in CYOW

i get it now. when flying towards the VOR u select the reciprical radial than what u use to go outbound, right? thanks for all your wonderful help.Adam