Sign in to follow this  

Fly! Style and Functional Cockpits in MSFS?

Will comment later. Agree on some points and don't with others.But in the meantime, the views are showing as "zero". I previously viewed this hours ago. Does it need a response to show "views"? I'll see & bump the post at the same time:)L.Adamson

Have you heard of Flight1's Piper Meridian ? Just released a month ago. A cockpit with functionality that I am afraid even FLY! can't match. And smooth gauges with no 'jaggies'. Also as a former big fan of FLY! I have to say that the functionality was there but often was very superficial. Some Hawker expert found tons of bugs in the systems during the FLYII betatesting but there was no will from TRI to fix them (in FLYII that made a marketing decision to go after the 'eye candy' rather than putting any more effort into instrumentation). Also as a real pilot you probably noticed that FLY's Flight Director was never functional - it's indications were useless. And this is a vital piece of avionics for those who want to practice hand flying in IFR. So I do agree that FLY's cocpkit looked great and their scrolling functionality was very ingenious (I am not a big fan of VC). But if systems accuracy is of top priority then I would say the best examples you will find these days are in fact in the FS world. BTW, if you fancy "bleed air" and complex jet systems including IRS alignment you must have heard of the 767PIC product. To this date considered the best all around desktop jet simulator. And it comes with 99% complete FMS.Michael J.

And the Meridian & PIC767 were my TWO main points.............that I hadn't gotten around to pointing out yet.. :)I don't own the 767, but the Meridian is a perfect example of a virtual reality fantasy when it comes to going through pre-flight, loading flight plans, setting radios, etc.L.Adamson

Guest JeanLuc_

Thanks Michael! speaking of the Meridian, not only you will find a very accurate rendition of not only the Avionics (including the most widely flown Garmin GNS530 for FS2002 as a standard equipment), but a very accurate rendition of all the systems. Paired with the exceptional flight model of Steve Small, this really is an experience in itself. One even refered to "a sim in the sim" :-eekAs for the panning cockpit "ala Fly!" with the mouse, you got it with the Meridian too! It is a user option (on / off).Last but not least, given the smoothness of the gauges, you can actually not only hand-fly the flight director, but actually hand-fly ILS approaches too. You'll be amazed at what you can do with the Meridian you are yet to match with regular FS2002 gauges :-)Hope it answers your questions!

Just the other day, I rummaged through most of the FLY cockpit views looking for ...... of all things, pullable breakers. Didn't find them, and not all that important; but I was reminded just how much artistry & thought went into these panels. Wherever you look, from the overhead, main, side panels, or pedastal, everthing was reproduced in extremely clear & colorful graphics that you seldom see elsewhere. The only downside is that some of the instrumentation & lettering gets a bit small, for even my 22" monitor.L.Adamson

Very true! I'm jealous. I need a 22" monitor!It's fun to mess with the breakers on Fly II's helicopter. Buggy, but fun.J. BirchCFI,CFII,MEIMobile, ALSupport G.A.!www.aopa.org

Ken Salter, a true flight simmer and hopefully a future student!J. BirchCFI,CFII,MEIMobile, ALSupport G.A.!www.aopa.org