Sign in to follow this  

Strange Error Message!

Suddenly, beginning just about a week ago I started hearing a "ding" (Windows Error sound) while loading FS2k2 and having this message appear under the splash screen. It doesn't immediately result in a crash of FS2k2, but it is a precursor of a soon-to-happen-crash.Has anyone else experienced this and/or know what the heck is causing it, or more to the point, knows how to fix it?FWIW, I renamed the FS2002 folder and reinstalled FS2k2 to make sure it wasn't a corrupted registry entry. The "virgin install" works just fine, but attempting to run the original installation still produces the same non-informative and annoying error message...

Guest RonB49

Have you tried renaming FS2002.cfg and then starting FS2002? Perhaps when it builds its new config file, your problem will disappear. Try it. R-

Guest Matt Johnson

Check your gauges and modules (probably your modules directory). You have a module which smells slightly buggy.--M

>Check your gauges and modules (probably your modules >directory). You have a module which smells slightly buggy. 1) I renamed the original FS2002 to FS2002_bak2) I cleaned the registry3) I reinstalled FS2k2 to FS20024) Tested 'virgin' install: works fine5) Swapped folder names, reactivating the original install6) Result: same problem - registry not an issue7) Copied all files from the 'virgin' root directory to original8) Result: same problem - .exe, .cfg, etc. files in root not an issue9) Copied all .dll files from 'virgin' Modules directory to original10) Result: same problem - .dll files not an issue11) End result: I was tired and went to bed!Next experiments will concentrate on the scenery libraries. It is unlikely to be a Gauges problem, because the fault occurs while loading/initializing the sim, and before choosing an a/c to load.

>Have you tried renaming FS2002.cfg and then starting FS2002? > Perhaps when it builds its new config file, your problem >will disappear. Try it. R- Thanks for the suggestion. It was the very first thing tried... :(I've actually got the sim running since a 'virgin' install, but I still want to locate the specific cause if for no other reason than perverse sense of curiosity, but more importantly to determine if it is a 'preventable' problem - or better still - one which may easily be repaired without a complete reinstall and migration of add-ons... :)

>Check your gauges and modules (probably your modules >directory). You have a module which smells slightly buggy. Well folks, as much as it pains me to say this, I found the blighted bugger that has caused so much angst, wailing, nashing of teeth, and forced unnecessary worry on other members of my development team...It was one of my durned 'fx' files that is the guilty party!Specifically, the esbj400_taillight.fx file...Contained in that damnable file was this single, teeny-tiny, minuscule and seemingly insignificant typo:&l;Particle.0&r;Lifetime=0.00, 0.00Type=19X Scale=0.91, 0.01 <<<===here it is!That should have been:X Scale=0.91, 0.91I deeply apologize for the problem my fat fumble fingers have engendered...I'm off now for a few hours of flaggelation with my "cat 'o nine-tails," followed by a week of wearing my hair-shirt...