Sign in to follow this  
LAdamson

FSGarmin530

Guest A321

Hi all,Is it realistic to USe this Great peice of software to to aid in flying a bigger jet like a 737-300 or a Fokker.I know this might be a dumb question, but i have to ask.Thanks..

I think it would definitely aid in navigation if you have nothing else to use, but it wouldnt be realistic. What the GNS530 can do is basically a stripped down version of what the big guys use. For general aviation purposes I think the GNS530 is the best gps you could ever own with the exception of vertical navigation (soon to come), but if you want to actually put in extensive flight plans, weights, winds etc. you need to be using an FMC or a variant. Im not sure if there is a freeware FMC available that is as thorough or complicated as a few of the payware models, but you can check. Or you can use the GNS530 for your basic navigation (the newest payware version of this GPS is hardly basic, and although the closest thing Ive used in real life is the GNS430, I would highly recommend this to anyone, it is right on).Craig

Just so you'll know; you'll find a lot of large WWII vintage aircraft flying around to airshows & such, with a "handheld" GPS hanging by the panel. Wouldn't look good to mix a panel mount with old instrumentation, but the handheld GPS is still a valuable device for modern navigation.L.Adamson