Sign in to follow this  
Hornit

Lock haven PA. Piper Memorial

I have spent the last two hours looking for any kind of photos of this airport. Im wanting to do a scenery for it, now that I have a great Cub to bop around in (Bill Lyons) I usually try to at least et the buildings placed close and get rid of the crappy default stuff that usually doesn't fit. Sometimes I even use Nova to make the buildings look accurate so photos really help. I'm not looking for texture quality stuff just something good enough to tell general building type and placement. I tried the regular places but AirNav is empty and no shots at the CAP site either. If anyone knows of any decent shots please let me know, I would really appreciate it.Thanks

That helps a lot thanks! Still need a bit better shots though. I can't understand how the birthplace of the Taylorcraft and J3 doesn't have some more shots, pretty unbelievable really. As usual Microsoft totally screwed up the landclass here too, the roads are wrong and so is the river. I wish there were an easy way to fix that, I can do the airport pretty well, but just haven't had any success with the roads etc. I did try Groundmaker and the coastline program, no luck with them yet.Hornit

Jim,If you go to pipermuseum.com, you'll at least get color views of the main building, which has been converted into a museum. There's a more modernistic former corporate headquarters a few hundred yards to the right. FBO stuff is on the other side of the runway.I have some photos of the field also in souvenir programs from the annual Sentimental Journey fly-ins, so I could probably give you more verbal details if you want.John

I have been to the museum website and I have seen a few glimpses of the buildings in some shots, so I have a good idea about layout and general textures. I don't get really really wrapped up in realism as far as building textures go, just want it to look more like a regular airport with buildings and textures that at least look like they belong. I also use Lago's scenery enhancer to add the little tiny details, I dont get crazy with that either as some sceneries I have seen with that program. The Sentimental journeys stuff also has haelped, what I really need is an airport shot(airborne) in color that shows things from both north and south, taken not too far away on a decent day. The CAP website has no pics of it. They usually have decent stuff but coverage is sparse. If you can scan and e-mail me pics it would be really great.campisij@bellsouth.net

Jim,This still isn't what you want, but I am trying. Check out http://www.stenbergaa.com/stenberg/index.html?item454.html. Unfortunately the Cub is obscuring the museum building and the old corporate headquarters, but you can see the remains of the factory on the right, and the FBO facilities on the left. This is looking east.I'll keep poking around.John

If you go to http://www.burtmader.com/Catalog2.htm and check "See You Next August," you'll get a view looking west. The FBO facilities are directly above the Super Cub fuselage. Structures in the lower left are just temporary tents, I believe, for the fly-in.

You know I saw that web page with the shots (red links) I can't believe i did not see the other shots there. There are about 3 good pics with closeups of the buildings too! These other shots are enough to get me going for sure, All I need now is one shot of the eastern end of the field and how the Piper factory looks. I have one shot of where the museum is and how its laid out right now, but its from pretty far away. I can't thank you enough!! I must have been really tired last night after all the searching to miss those two shots on that page. I really appreciate your time doing this :)Hornit

No problem, Jim. I owe you for the great repaints you have provided for the community.

Guest Grunt

Try Terraserver...you may be able to find a satellite photo.GLE1303Great Lakes Express VAKDTWBFU 57Bush Flying Unlimited

Alright, that is a great shot! Thanks a million again.The only thing I might need...later...is the colors of thePiper factory, it looks rather dark in the photos, at least the roofis. Should be able to dig up something on that, for now I have plenty of info to get going!! What a great forum!!Hornit