Sign in to follow this  
Guest ba747heavy

Full Screen/Windowed mode performance

Several posts have indicated that FS2002 had a better frame rate in windowed mode than in full screen mode. It is surprising, but it is true, I noticed it with my GeForce 2 GTS.1) Is it still true with the last generation graphic cards, such as ATI Radeon 9700 or GeFroce 4 Ti4800?2) Can someone has an explanation about this?Thanks for any info...Eric

Guest jaapverduijn

Greetings Eric!Yes indeed, it's true. The reason is, that in windowed mode many of the activities of the graphics card don't function, things like anti-alisasing and/or anisotropic filtering. So the frame rates you get in windowed mode, are more or less the same frame rates you get in full screen mode when you turn most of the options of your graphic card off. Jaap Verduijn.

Guest gasebah

Exactly, and the resolution jumps to the desktop resolution also. So if you usually use a higher resolution in full screen mode that is another explanation for better frame rates in windowed mode.Alex

Guest Marvel

for me I always use windowed mode given that it's easy to do other things while I'm flying, ie chatting on msn

Wait a minute guys. Then tell me why I have FS2002 running in windowed mode AND antialiasing (AA) works? And yes my frame rates are slightly better in windowed mode with AA on. I'm running at 1280x1024x32 in both windowed and full screen.I have a Geforce 4 4600 and what I have done to make AA work in windowed mode is to enable AA via the video driver properties. I manually have enabled Quincunx Antialiasing for all programs. Now it appears that to change AA modes or to turn off AA in FS2002 you must switch to full screen and then back to windowed mode to see the changes. It appears that if you enable it using the FS2002 option on the Display/Hardware menu it will ONLY work in full screen mode.Todd

Guest ba747heavy

AA works in windowed mode. I know. When I turn it from off(terrible jaggies, 30+ fps) to 4xS(no jaggies, 18 fps) I *know* AA is working. So I don't think that AA is off, or anything of the sort. I find myself wondering if mipmaping works, as I don't see a big difference between Mipmapping LOD -0.8 and 0.0.Who knows