Sign in to follow this  
Guest jonthedoors

need help with the retro-style autopilot

I downloaded the incredible Ready For Pushback 747-200 a short while ago, and I am finding the retro-style autopilot rather troublesome.I've read the manual but it really is as clear as mud, so I was wondering if you guys could help me out.Here is an enlarged picture of the autopilot, so I can explain it easier:http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i223/jon...leAutopilot.jpgI know that to engage IAS hold, I have to set the EPR to climb thrust, but once I activate the auto-throttle and press the Speed hold button it's not holding the speed. I got it to hold IAS once before, so I've got the feeling I'm missing somethingI also need help with setting the Autopliot to climb. After using the iFly 744 I have a feeling that I need to set the altitude in the selection box, push the switch on the right of it into the downward position and turn the switch at the top to V/S hold. The hitch is, I don't know what V/S the plane wants to hold because there is no readout. My question here is: How do I get the autopilot to hold a vertical speed of say... 1500ft/m for a climb upto FL320?I'd appreciate you help, because I'm sick of falling out of the sky at 40KTS forward speed!Thanks in advance, Jon.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Jon, I'm the guy who compiled (wrote, copied and typed) the documentation for the awesome RFP 742 which is "as clear as mud." Leaving your judgements to stand for themselves ... you need to understand that this is NOT a 744 (ifly or pmdg) and you MUST really try to read and understand the MUD. In the Section 1, there are two tutorials, one written by Ralph, the other (annotated checklist) by me. Using either of these, you should be able to get off the ground into a stable climbout. You also need to review the AUTOPILOT section of the AOM concentrating particularly on the FFRATS section.Here's the gist:I fly manually (referring to the Flight Director) up to 7000 to 15000 feet depending on my mood ... The 742 is really very easy to fly manually for such a gigantic a/c ... but if you're patient, and can use pitch to control climb speed ... you'll do fine. The 742 handles very well heavy ... 700+ pounds. The following assumes you get started and are cleared for T/O1. While waiting for clearance to enter the runway, set the FFRATS panel to EPR and TOD. Check that you have set the V-speeds, and V2 on the "speed" dial2. When cleared for TO and doing the takeoff checklist, set the 4 orange buttons on the EPR gauges, then turn on the AutoThrottle. I usually have the cleared altitude set, and ALT SEL selected and green light.3. When ready, I use the F3 key to advance power to 1.3 or so EPR and then the FFRATS EPR limiter takes over setting the appropriate EPR. (you can also push your throttle full forward ... whatever)You DO NOT turn on the AUTOPILOT yet ... the AP is not linked to the AutoThrottle and can be used separately. Once FFRATS takes over you need not touch the throttle until final.4. Rotate at VR to 15-17 degrees or whatever specified, hold your speed to V2 by adjusting trim.5. At 2500 AGL turn the dial on the FFRATS to CLB and you are now in climb mode ... as a reference turn the speed dial to 250. Using pitch lower the nose to get to 250 and maintain 250 ... using the "FAST/SLOW" red circle on the left of the ADI as a reference.6. You can choose to use the AP VS mode to continue your climb if you want ... make sure the cleared altitude is selected, the ALT SEL on and green lit. When stable at a speed and FPM ... switch on the AP and turn the mode switch to VS (Make sure you have a heading set also, because the AP will turn to your INS or otherwise entered heading)7. After 10000ft, lower the nose either using pitch or the VS dial depending if you are using the AP. set the speed dial to 317 + ... Watch the speed and orange circle on the ADI. As the little circle approaches the FAST/SLOW midpoint, switch from VS to IAS. Don't forget to change to MACH or SPEED on the FFRATS, move the dial from CLB to CRZ, and set ALT HOLD when you reach cruise.The MORE STABILITY in FPM and SPEED you have when turning on the AP and either VS or IAS mode, the better things will be .. You have to be PATIENT and gentle ... the tutorials have been vetted by a couple of real 742 captains who attest to the behavior of the 742 as modeled by RFP.Takes time to get this right. Good luck,Paul BenoitKAPV

Alright, thanks a bunch for the help.Oh, and I'm sorry for putting down the manual, that was rather silly of me.Thanks again.

Paul,i totally agreed with your words.even without knowing the product as a master but with my flown experiences of the lady in sim sessions and following real procedures from PHB make this aircraft so "easy" to fly...but you need to read and follow procedures not trying alone on your own ...