Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

martinlest2

This is a hard plane to fly!

PMDG, LVLD ... easy! This RFP 742, is another matter! It's "doing my head in" - as the phrase apparently goes these days!I bought the CD version recently (before I realised RFP was now free on AVSIM! But that's OK, the printed booklet & extra liveries are worth the price) and have read the pdf files, including the brief 'getting acquainted' (not fully, I admit), printed manual (ditto) and looked at the video tutorials. But I still have problems: I dare say with more practice it'll become clear what I am doing wrong, but maybe someone could point me in the right direction (SO many pages to read!!).I'm OK until after take-off: all warning lights out & I think things are OK till that point. But then I have no control over the plane. I can't control speed, V/S, altitude... I have set the AP buttons as per the manual and I set up the FFRAPS as indicated. I know this a/c is worlds away from the 744, but I am floundering more than I imagined I would be. If anyone can give some leads as to where I might be going wrong I'd appreciate it. My goal is to be able to control IAS (or V/S), heading and for the a/c to level off at the altitude I set (I do have HDG SEL green light). As it is, a/c accelerates to 300 KIAS before I know it. How do I keep it at VR+10 immediately after take-off for a start? Thanks!Martin

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

... is there an obvious reason why I cannot engage the AP once I am climbing? If I click above the AP switches, I get the 'hand' icon, but they won't move.Having quickly learned to fly the PSS Concorde, to name just one, it is very discouraging to be getting nowhere so fast with this 747-200 - can't even engage the AP!I'll wait for helpful comments (?) - but at the moment I feel I've just wasted the past three hours trying to fly this thing and almost at the point of uninstalling the thing and eBaying it. (But I won't! Just yet ...):-)

I think my installation was corrupt. I've reinstalled and things are OK now - still got a lot of parcice ahead, but that's fine of course..M.

You know what they say, Martin, are the three most important things to become and expert, parcice, parcice, parcice. Also remember that parcice makes prefcet. R-

Martin, in most situations, you need to use a derated thrust takeoff if you plan on using IAS hold while climbing. If you use normal thrust on takeoff, you will hold IAS while climbing but you will get a lot of bouncing as the aircraft tries to hold the airspeed at such a high EPRL rating. VS climb is very stable but you might fly too fast or too slow depending on your EPR rating. If you use speed mode to climb and your pitch is too high, you risk your EPR going too high. To use IAS hold, you must enable EPR for your power setting and not speed mode. You're right, it is much more different than the PMDG and level D. A lot more work involved. But once you get the hang of it, it is much more enjoyable to fly. If you need more help, feel free to ask.Goran

Yes, I love flying this aircraft, so am practising. Maybe what I am not doing is derating the engines - I set EPR (TO), then switch on one of the rating select modes. But I haven't been changing the 'EPR Decr' from 00 (as I didn't totally understand what it was doing). I should try this - what value works best? -05??Thanks

Reducing the EPR via the switch on the radio panel will derate the engines for takeoff. There are 2 modes. Using the takeoff calculator will decide what EPR setting will work best for your current configuration. Enter the current outside temperature, gross weight (ZFW+Fuel), flaps setting, QNH if it is below 29.92, and assumed temperature of 48 degrees and it will give you EPR for the current temperature and the assumed temperature, V speeds and takeoff distance required. It doesn't always work first time because the plane could be too heavy, QNH too low or the temps could be too hot and you will exceed takeoff limitations.If it is a little complicated for you, let me know when you're on Vatsim and we can do a short or long flight together and I can talk you through some procedures. I've done a few formation flights with people before. If you haven't tried vatsim before, please do. It is very good and very realistic with procedures from controllers. Of course, if it is too intimidating, we could find an airport with no controllers.Goran

Thanks for the cooments. Never tried Vatsim - will have a look when I get a chance.RegardsM