Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tf51d

Flight1 still selling RFP?

Ok if RFP is free now, why is Flight1 still selling it for $34.95? I just noticed it on the aircraft product page. Is this an oversight on their part?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

So is at least one of the other sales sites (JustFlight, I believe)... I suppose the answer is that they can. Why not ask them in their forums?DJ

I made a bit of a big deal about this in the Just Flight forums about a month or 2 ago in conjunction with the PSS products. I was willing to make copies of the PSS software for people who had purchased the products but cannot reinstall them as PSS executables depend on the PSS servers to download and install their aircraft. Since Just Flight co own the licenses, I felt it necessary to go through the proper channels and they were not very pleased. They basically said I was infringing copyright if I do this. I mentioned that they were selling a high quality add on for FS9 which is now freely available (RFP) and asked if they were forwarding royalties to the developers for the sale of the aircraft in question. If not, were they in fact themselves, infringing copyright. Their argument was it is freely available and people are free to download the free version but that they offer a range of extras. Namely, the manuals. And no, they are not forwarding royalties to Chris and Ralph.A lot of heated words were exchanged because one of the forum moderators was comparing the PSS situation with eating a pizza. Basically, I said if Just Flight co own the licenses for PSS products, then Just Flight should send off a CD with the PSS aircraft on it for those that purchased it from the PSS website. A forum moderator came out with "I had pizza tonight. It's in my stomach and it's gone. Does that mean I am entitled to another pizza from another pizza shop?" But they stand by their argument. They say they are allowed to sell it.Doesn't really matter much. A newer version of the RFP is coming out soon which leaves version 2 for dead.Goran

yes, they are allowed to sell it.They have a contract that gives them distribution rights, and as far as I know that contract was never revoked or otherwise terminated.As to the RFP situation, most likely they paid a lump sum to Ralph and his team for those distribution rights, rights that may or may not include a limit to the number of units they're allowed to sell (if there is a limit, they'll not have reached it yet).That's indeed quite different from what you were going to do, which would amount to distributing copyrighted material without the permission of the copyright holders.That's piracy. And as many (especially older) PSS products don't need license files (I assume you weren't going to distribute those) there'd be no check on whether you were distributing those files only to people who hold valid licenses except their word to you (and we all know that pirates are prone to not telling the truth about the status of their licenses).