Sign in to follow this  
Guest cbuchner1

Welcome to the TileProxy project forum!

Guest cbuchner1

I think the response came in after I had posted the stunning screenshots of Hawaii. But back then no one (including me) thought this project would come to a "releasable" state within only a few months time.

Guest rbrown3rd

I have also camped at the Great Sand Dunes and your screenshots are indeed stunning. Don't know if this should be a separate thread, probably so, but I show my ingorance here. How do you setup TP to access the black and white imagery? Is it NAPP as Christian described? By the way Christian if you read this I am a retired geographer and pilot. So, I am very familiar with NAPP having particpated in a contract for acquisition here in Florida. So, my question is basically how do you configure to use the black and white photography other than turning on the colorize option in the ini file?

Christian, I want to thank you for an AWESOME project and say it is really amazing to be able to use this product and especially for FREE..I have one question though?If we can use the MAP SERVERS for V****** E**** and FSX is a Microsft Project as is MAPS then why can we not have a deal with MS where we just pay a subscription price to use the servers, in other words I like to be ethical and do not like the idea of feeling like we are snitching the data?Maybe someone will understand better what I am saying but in other words here is another idea. MS could buy your project and then when anyone buys FSX they get to use data free!!!!Good Luck and God Bless, Danny

Guest cbuchner1

As far as I understand Google and Microsoft don't own all the images they are serving, they licensed them (except for what is in the Public Domain, i.e. the USGS aerial surveys).If they wanted to offer a subscription model for flight simmers, they would probably have to re-negiotiate their license deals with their data providers. And that is certainly not going to be cheap. I doubt a few hundreds or thousand paying flight simmers could make up for that.Hmm...

Guest cbuchner1

I would have to enforce a 30 day max caching policy for the cache folder and tiles to follow the ToS. Otherwise things appear fine. What I don't see in their ToS is that the service must use their JavaScript API. That's good ;)

Guest The Wizard of Oz

Just downloaded Tileproxy Ver beta 3 together and with FSX SP1 set up a flight in Hawaii (Oahu) with a TripleHeadToGo; AMD 4200+ ;2 x 7900GT SLI system (3840 x 1024 res). Two words - absolutely incredible!! with the vista spread over three screens. Once you see it, it

Guest The Wizard of Oz

I should have said when FSX loads the images without TP running in 4.

Guest cbuchner1

1) The rectangles are already part of the tiles I get from the service. I would have to add a "white area detection code" to the program, but that would slow loading down a bit.2) waits 3 seconds after installation of the driver to make sure the registry and everything is REALLY updated after the driver has been installed. But I am not 100% sure if it is needed.3) The BMP files from the World folder will be loaded. Cache is only needed when BMP files have been deleted from the World folder. Then it falls back to Cache, then to Internet.4) Now that's a mistery. I wouldn't know. Maybe your OS cached a low res version of the tile? Would a reboot help in that case?I will have to try the Fiber setting at 2.0 myself. My experiences with SP1 were rather so...so... I was not getting the highest resolution on all tiles when doing flyovers. Parts stayed blurred, parts got crisp.

Guest The Wizard of Oz

Yes I was getting some slight out-of-focus images as well but then set MipBias to 7; LOD radius to 'Large' and fiber to 2.0 and this all seemed to help although I don't know specifically how each one contributes. LOD did appear to make the most difference although it also increased load times. I also set my clouds to Stratus to yield an extra 5 fps.I will load up some 3.75:1 ratio TH2G screen shots on this forum later.

Guest The Wizard of Oz

Christian,Re 1) It would be valuable to have, as an option, a white area detection code. I'm in the process of upgrading my download speeds and no doubt others will also, so it probably wouldn't matter that much re load time.I notice that Phil in his blog saying that Adam says the current loading uses a "FS9 path" and hence "massive" amounts of I/O and that it "blows the texture cache used by the terrain texture compositor". Can you comment on this?. They seem to indicate they might "rework" this - SP2 perhaps.! Lets hope so.Re WOZ

Guest cbuchner1

It's not necessarily loading time, it's processing time. Once the image has been downloaded, it has to be analyzed for "whiteness". If white areas are found expanding from the left, top, bottom or right edge of the image, the zoom level of the tile would be reduced (assuming that the whitness only occurs at a given zoom level).Alternatively I could paste or "flood fill" the contents of the last non-white section of the image into the white parts.

Guest The Wizard of Oz

UnderstoodWOZ

Guest The Wizard of Oz

Christian, I was hinting at that with a faster download (i.e. I'm looking at say 4 to 8 Mbps instead of my current 0.4 Mbps) the extra processing for white tiles as an option would presumably not increase the overall times I'm getting now ?Cheers WOZ

Guest cbuchner1

Is the white tile detection still as urgent with the new Y! map provider? The area around Hawaii didn't seem to have any white spots anymore ;)